on 28 January 2012
What can I say, I am using this chip on a second build for general use. I must say at 3.3ghz, compared to an i5 2000K, there is negligible amount of speed difference with normal use.

I even use this chip with GTX 460 (overclocked) and it can still play BF3 at high settings (no MSAA). I'm quite chuffed to be honest.

The inbuilt/on chip GPU is ok for general use, even photo editing though I have not tried to calibrate my monitor yet as I've only done a quick test. When converting high resolution pictures, this chip runs a tad slower than the 15 at 3.3ghz and both 8gb ram.

Overall very impressed with this chip and I highly recommend it if you are on a budget or you just want it for general useage.

Edit:
This chip is not a proper quad core, it has only 2 cores, but it has hyperthreading. The item description should be changed.
on 5 July 2012
Having always been more of an AMD fan I decided to move to the dark side and bought this little chip for an upgrade to my budget gaming rig (replaced my aging phenom II x 2 545).

I must say I am pleasantly surprised by how big a difference this has made. Whilst it is a native dual core processor (with hyperthreading) everything points to this having the power of a quad and it has ate through all the tasks I've asked of it so far.

With regards to gaming I've paired it with my gtx 460 and its given me a much more stable experience and in MMOs in particular my framerate has not only improved but is a lot more stable and doesn't fluctuate. Im looking forward to testing it further specifically in the upcoming Guild Wars 2 event to see how it holds up in player intensive environments.

Windows 7 gives it a marking of 7.1 and for £90 it's a real steal and pretty much the best bang for buck for those gaming on a budget. 5 stars from me.
on 6 December 2012
Fitted to a MSI Z77A-G43 Z77 motherboard with 8Gb of memory, a Crucial M4 SSD and using the on board graphics, this makes an extremely fast computer for more than the general use it is destined for. (It is fast enough to not allow the flag logo in Windows Boot up sequence to form, and I, because I have no life, will turn it on/off/on again just to marvel at the speed.)

For a General idea this is from the Windows Experience Index, with the overall score dropping to 5.1 due to the Graphics.
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz 7.1
Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB 7.5
Graphics Intel(R) HD Graphics 5.2
Gaming graphics 1760 MB Total available graphics memory 5.1
Primary hard disk 78GB Free (119GB Total) 7.9
So adding good graphics will boost the index up to 7.1

I got the Sandy Bridge chip with an Ivy Bridge motherboard to future proof the system a bit. I cannot see me upgrading for a long time.

Excellent value for money with a high Performance for Price Ratio.
At this Price for the TOP of the RANGE Sandybridge 2 GEN i3 ATM, The Best Price with FREE delivery and NICE performance,

in Gaming in a cool budget system, 2 Solid cores with 2 Virtual Cores. So not far away from a 4 core solution

which does beat the AMD Phenom II 955 x4 Core Processor, YEH! Get that, Beats it in all benchmarks just Google that.(to confirm).

also beats the Phenom II 1065 3.4Ghz Quad Core at Gaming with discrete Gaming card like GTX 670 or GTX 660Ti (GOOGLE IT.!)

At the present Amazon Price it beats the competition, and you can buy a Z68 Motherboard by Gigabyte to match for 80
mark roughly.

Thanks for reading, really if you are confused about BUYING an AMD Platform and CPU or Intel; go Intel, better performance
for your money. (That can be backed up if you search online). i3-2120 vs AMD 955 x4 Quad. all you need is an H61 Board if you
are on a Budget by Asus, for around the 50 mark here on Amazon, but if you want to futureproof yourself and are an AVID Gamer
go for a P67 or Better with a Gigabyte Z68. I built this for my neighbour who loves the RAW Power, for small money with
Corsair 300R case and Corsair CX-600w PSU. -: Plus+ a couple of Xigmatech LED FANS.

all bought here on Amazon UK, a one stop shop for all. Fab.! Thanks for reading! Adios, David
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 August 2014
Upgraded my wheezing system from a G620 to this 2nd generation i3 and the difference is noticeable. It's not simply a question of the increase in cycle speeds from 2.6 to 3.3GHz (although that's great), but more a question of the significant benefits the replacement brings with regards to hyper-threading, increases in memory bandwidth, better onboard graphics, and a number of critical additions in terms of video encoding and HD delivery. It allows me to do things with my system now that simply were not possible with the G620. It hasn't set the world on fire (that's for sure) but it's a relatively effective upgrade that gives my system a few more years service easily.

It's the first CPU upgrade I've performed on an LGA1155 motherboard and I've got to say it is so much easier these days. Clever and effective design. The stock fan is fine and pretty quiet as far as I'm concerned (subjectively). Was particularly happy to find that thermal paste was already applied to the base of the heatsink. I'm not overclocking this system drastically so the standard paste is doing fine. Very quick and easy installation. Given that they're currently up to 4th gen specimens, I think the price is still a little high for these, so I opted for this in preference to paying out more still for marginal improvements in low end 3rd gen contenders.
on 18 January 2012
Why do you need all of those othe expensive processor when you can get this baby!!

Got me 7.1/7.9 in Windows 7's WEI. Good right?!

Perfect for those taking the first step into the Sandybridge processors. Good for everyday desktop tasking and basic processing.
And the stock fan that came with it gives off a good cooling aswell. Only up to 35*C recorded in my H/W monitoring software. And it comes with pre-applied Thermal paste on it, so no need to buy extra.

Up to now, am loving it.
on 19 May 2013
Quality dual core that is nicely priced. Its a good starting point for a 1155 socket if your planning on getting an i5 or i7 when the prices come down. The i5 and i7 are currently twice the price but not necessarily twice as powerful when you look at the benchmark ratings especially some of the i5 range. If your thinking of upgrading don't waste your money unless its one of the top end i5 or i7 processors such as the i5 3570k and the i7 3770k only then will you get over twice the power.
on 7 March 2013
Always loved Intel not AMD . This little beast can run games like : Far Cry 3 , NFS : Most Wanted 2012 , Assassins Creed 3 etc on hight settings along with HD 7770 Ghz OC Edition . absolutely stunning runner , runs cool and quiet , can't see the point to upgrade this CPU at least for two years .. it's even has higher benchmarks than some of i5 Cpu's , so this is absolutely stunning CPU . Highly recommended . Thanks Intel , well done :)
on 5 May 2012
This processor is brilliant for the cost. It works perfectly for my needs and at only a fiver more than the 2100, it's a steal.

It was super easy to install and the stock fan is a piece of cake to install too.
on 21 July 2012
the Intel i3-2120 Sandybridge Core i3 Dual-Core Processor is a awesome duel core ideal for gaming. i put this in my new gaming rig with a hd7850 and i can play any game on max settings.