Customer reviews

Flavour: Double Chocolate|Change

on 28 June 2017
First time I've tried these and i am impressed. Not only is it 50 grams protein but it also tastes great. The only thing I'm worried about . Is that i will eat too any!? Will buy again.
on 21 May 2017
Tastes great for a bar with 50g of protein in it, and relatively low sugar! Cheapest protein bar I've found per gram of protein.
on 19 October 2013
I see a lot of reviews here that this product does not deserve but to anyone that is serious in strength training it is obvious that these people dont know enough...plus I wonder about their tasting buds, how can you not like this??!
For the serious ones: Great taste, perfect 4th meal (the one you have less time to eat as you rush from work to get ready for gym) for the weight gaining cycling phase for those with normal working hours training at around 6pm, this is your perfect 4.15pm meal...You will rotate to a low carbs bar during your cutting phase...
Keep in mind this MUST be your ONLY ONE bar, and the only reason you are having it is time pressure of rush hour...
if you training weekend afternoon COOK you pre-workout meal ;)
Enjoy and be with the winners not the moaners-stay the same forever-complaining about taste! lol
on 2 May 2014
I first bought one of these bars as part of a selection of various ones that I was trying out. This stood out, alongside the Sci MX pro 2go strawberry and cream bars.

The sci mx one is very candyish and is the tastiest but offers less protein. The PHD one is also very nice but comes in with a whopping 50grams of protein which makes it my post-workout go to bar. After eating it I know I've accounted for a large part of my recovery nutrition and can be more relaxed about what I eat the rest of the day rather than watching out that I need to have a protein rich food for dinner.

Would I eat it in a non-workout context instead of a normal chocolate bar? Definitely not, but its very nice for a fitness product.

I think the reviewers complaining about the taste have been a bit unduly critical. Compared to most bars of its ilk - this is a winner.
on 6 November 2012
This is another one of those high protein food products that is trying to be a mainstream food product. There are very few that can pull that trick off and this is close, but not quite.
If you gave this to someone out of the packet, mixed with supermarket brownies they'd still pick up that it wasn't a mainstream product, but i'm pretty sure they'd struggle to realise it's a high protein, food supplement style of product.

With it's main selling point in mind, i.e. easy, tasty protein in a snack form, then this is a good way of getting protein, a little chocolate treat and a good sum of relatively clean calories down your throat.
It does have a slightly odd aftertaste, it is very dense and not remotely light in the bite, but it does give 50grammes of protein, though also about 28grammes of carbs too.

Is it worth the balance? Well if you train hard enough and eat clean enough then this isn't going to ruin a lean fat burning diet / lifestyle. If you train to an average level and still eat and drink a 'normal western diet' of high carbs and alcohol, then this is another 400 calories that you may want to walk away from. The taste versus athletic reward are there for hard exercisers who eat well, i'm just not convinced it wouldn't just be another method of calorie creep for those not as strict with their balance.

Personally on the weeks i've eaten clean and trained hard i'll have one (or two) as a snack between main meals as a protein fix that has me thinking i'm eating chocolate and rewarding myself. Better from a health point than a supermarket brownie, though it doesn't taste as good.

Truthfully i wouldn't miss these, but at the same time i'm happy to have one when the timing seems right.
on 7 June 2015
Arrived one day earlier than stated actually, and gave tracking progress notifications, so I was fortunate to get it earlier, which is what I wanted. Thanks.

Love this product. It's cheaper than buying it in the shops with this order. This bar is my best friend, 50gs of protein and low enough in cals and carbs and fat. Delicious tasting, I wish I could eat it all the time to get my right calorie and macro intake, but I know I shouldn't!
on 21 June 2013
No good if you have a sweet tooth. I far prefer Protopure chocolate, caramel & peanut flavoured bars. Similar carbs to this but only 31g protein instead of 50g but at least it tastes like a treat.
on 21 September 2014
Very easy to eat. Doesn't taste great but it is a protein bar so that's expected,That said, it's much better than most protein bars. Worth the price considering the protein content per bar.
on 9 January 2013
I dont doubt that as a product it will work in the right circumstances. If your calorie restricting this bar is a good way to snack and get your protein up.

Unfortunately it tastes awful. I am normally a fan of the PHD lines but the taste tester was on holiday with this one. Very sweet, unpleasant chocolate taste. I will struggle to finish the next 10 bars. That will teach me to by a box with out trying them. Try different flavours but give this one a miss unless you try a single bar first.
on 31 October 2013
This is a great product if you're looking to bulk up or if you're trying to maintain weight, and don't want to have to carry around shakes everywhere. When I got my box, I just scattered the bars in all the places I tend to spend time, just so I was never without a big lump of protein if I got hungry or was low on protein that day. These things fit easily into a pocket, and can be as filling as a full packed lunch since they're so dense.
The only downsides are the price, which is steep if you plan on eating one a day, and the taste can get pretty iffy after eating half, but as a supplement, it's fine.

In conclusion, as a supplement for when you're on the go, a pack of these bars is always useful, but they're a bit expensive if you're gonna rely on them daily.