The Boatman's Call
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 1 March 2018
For many Nick Cave fans this is the album that first turned them on to him. For that reason it almost feels like heresy to give this anything less than five stars. For my part, it was "No More Shall We Part" which introduced to me to the dark delightful work of Mr. Cave and I feel similarly protective about that album. It's taken me a while to eventually get round purchasing "A Boatman Calls". On first listen, I've got to say I was underwhelmed; maybe my expectations were too high. However, on repeated listens, this album has really grown on me. "Into My Arms" is of course a classic and a song I was aware of (and loved) before listening to the whole album. Other songs though like, "People Ain't No Good", "There is a Kingdom", "Are you the One.." and " Black Hair" have invisibly possessed my sub-conscious - I wake up with these tunes and lyrics in head. "People Ain't No Good" is an especial work of genius - without meaning to give too much away, the last verse in particular is both devastating and (almost) funny in its bleakness. I've given it four stars because some songs just don't quite gel with me - in "Lime Tree Arbour" I find the piano hook a little lazy (contrast with "Love Letter" from "No More Shall We Part"), and I find the voice-over in "Green Eyes" a bit gimmicky. In summary, an inconsistent listen but when it's good, it's absolutely sublime.
One person found this helpful
on 1 February 2018
Nick Cave is a very versatile and creative artist. This sounds very different from many of his albums as it has a tender and quiet theme throughout. There are some fantastic tracks and the entire album is a compelling listen.

Quality of the mastering and pressing is very good.

Don't play the last track with the kids about though....there is some interesting language you may have to explain!
One person found this helpful
on 19 June 2017
A album about the despair of breaking up, this album is one that suits a certain mood, at 48 years old I found myself in similar situation. These arms of mine a beautiful song but when you feel the same way it's very cloying. Maybe when my personal sadness goes, I may hear it in a different way.
2 people found this helpful
on 30 January 2017
Great album, but love the fact that buying the physical CD also adds the digital album to my Amazon music library.
on 21 March 2018
Love it!
on 16 December 2016
Great Album ! Into your arms,what a lovely song.
on 2 October 2016
I'm new to Nick Cave and might well look up some more after hearing this
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 20 March 2017
Possible the best album ever made.
2 people found this helpful
on 11 January 2008
I'm not going to bore you with a sophisticated coffee table critique that actually says little and bores you to tears. But I would say that if you are in to music with a realistic edge, with a tune, but a dark slant on the human physche, then this album's a must. I think it's superb.
6 people found this helpful