The Boatman's Call
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 January 2016
A wonderful collection of beautiful, melancholy songs from the masgter of the genre. Ignore any negative reviews ("dull" - eh?! - it's not supposed to be party music!) and treat yourself to this.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 July 2012
Nick Cave's 1997 album The Boatman's Call is a great demonstration of this outstanding lyricist and tunesmith's ability to tone down his music and reveal his more subtle and romantic side, containing as it does an outstanding set of sublimely melodic ballads, underpinned by another set of Cave's uniquely poetic (albeit, in the main, downbeat) lyrics. For every hard rocking From Here To Eternity, Get Ready For Love and Babe I'm On Fire (or, indeed, almost anything by his Grinderman incarnation), Cave had already given us ample evidence with songs such The Ship Song and The Weeping Song, that this man was a superb balladeer, and The Boatman's Call further develops this facet of Cave's work and acts as a pointer to his follow-up album, the masterpiece No More Shall We Part.

First up is the deceptively positive, and simply melodic Into My Arms, a relatively harmless little song, but still infused with Cave's trademark religious imagery (and containing one of the album's greatest lyrics in its opening line, 'I don't believe in an interventionist God, but I know darling that you do'). Indeed, although the album is full of Cave's moody, often semi-spoken vocals, and some superbly doom-laden backing from The Bad Seeds, particularly from Warren Ellis on violin and piano accordion, a number of the songs are (at least on the surface) rather upliftingly romantic. This is true of the beautiful Lime-Tree Arbour (whose lyrics give the album its title), There Is A Kingdom, the outstandingly soulful (Are You) The One That I've Been Waiting For? and (for me, along with Green Eyes, the only below par song on the album) Brompton Oratory, whose Casio accompaniment by Cave is just too reminiscent of those rare childhood (and adult wedding) visits to church.

For me, though, eternal pessimist that I obviously am, it is on the more downbeat songs that Cave really excels here. The superb People Ain't No Good could initially be interpreted as a typical witty and cynical Cave rant, although, given his recent divorce which occurred at around the time of the album, lyrics like, 'To our love send a coffin of wood', are probably directed at his ex-wife. Similarly, the sublimely melancholic Where Do We Go But Nowhere? covers the same theme and is peppered with great lyrics ('The kitten that padded and purred on my lap, now swipes at my face with the paw of a bear'). Two of the album's outstanding (and somewhat atypical) songs, for me, are West Country Girl, a short but brilliantly pulsating tune (underpinned by Warren Ellis' superb violin) - setting the tone for some of the longer songs on the No More Shall We Part album - and Black Hair, which opens with Ellis' accordion sounding like David Bowie's Memory Of A Free Festival, and which is an outstanding dirge (surprisingly this is possible). Both these songs, incidentally, are reputed to be about ex-Cave flame P J Harvey. A final word on the brilliant Idiot Prayer, Cave's ultimate word on death and the afterlife, during which he questions whether his destination will be heaven or hell in another lyrical tour-de-force.

All in all, some of Cave's strongest songwriting and an essential album.
on 12 March 2017
In Great Condition-Thanks a million
on 28 March 2017
Another cool cd to my collection.
on 4 September 2017
Fantastic
on 6 September 2001
A softer more sensitive work than previous albums, Nick Cave takes the traditional love song and takes it to dark, beautiful places. The album begins with Into My Arms,Cave with just his piano performs possibly the most touching love song I have ever heard.The Album peaks again with Are You The One I've Been Waiting For, but the whole work is of a consistently high standard.To me a long term Cave fan, this is his definitive album. The music is sparse yet beautiful with Cave's moving and provocative lyrics always at the forefront. Again- Genius!!
on 27 February 2002
The Boatman's Call is the album that half the Nick Cave fans in the world have been waiting for. It is an album of meaningful, melodic, beautiful and utterly bleak songs reminicent of sporadic moments of earlier Bad Seeds development. Let Love In had Nobodies Baby Now, The Good Son had The Weeping Song and Murder Ballads had Where The Wild Roses Grow but Boatman's Call is made up entirely of songs as good as the above. Dont get me wrong, the above albums are great, but this is greater still.
on 25 April 2013
I love this album - Nick Cave pared-down to an absolute minimum. It is inexplicable that Mute haven't re-released it on vinyl, but then they appeared to do just that.... Only this re-issue is a bootleg, and so are many others that have suddenly become available.The vinyl itself isn't too bad, but the artwork is shoddily printed. Buyer beware!
on 29 January 2007
I purchased this album after hearing the inspirational "People ain't no good". The rest of the album proves similarly successful, Cave's powerful lyrics combining with some well-executed music to produce a stunning album. A few tracks flew straight over my head, but for the most this is a very pleasing listen.
on 5 March 2014
After listening to various songs I made this my first purchase of Nick Cave & the bad seeds as I liked many of the songs but after repeat listening have found me really liking the CD more and more so have made a further delve into NC&the BS.