Customer reviews

The Polish Officer
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 2 February 2017
I would recommend this book to everyone either warning about having to cope with strange names. I was so impressed with main character that I would have loved to have met him. I need to know what happened next. A really good historical setting which gave you an insight into that part of WW 11
on 8 June 2013
Really enjoyed this book. Well written without being too literary as to be pretentious. And you care and feel what happens without having your hand held by the writing. Recommend it.
on 24 March 2013
Poland never stood a chance, The Russians hated them, the Germans haed them. Despite this they did all they could to maintain their country and assist their friends.
on 17 February 2013
Having watched Spies in Warsaw on BBC recently I was interested in reading more Alan Furst. It was an excellent read, a real page turner.
on 18 August 2011
Until recently I didn't know of Alan Furst's writing at all, but I'm very pleased to have now discovered it. This was my first of his books, and from other reviews out there it looks as though there are plenty more to enjoy which will be even more satisfying than I found this one. I don't often read what might be called 'spy thrillers', but I am a fan of historical fiction. This book - and I gather the others of Furst as well - is a successful blend of the two genres.

In a word I would describe this as 'atmospheric'. Highly atmospheric. The plot itself is not the most intriguing element, rather a series of early wartime assignments following the 1939 invasion of Poland and taking us up to the first winter following the German invasion of Russia in 1941. The main protagonist - Captain de Milja of the title - is a very believable character. He is a man who appears to have surrendered himself to the circumstances he finds himself in at the war's start, determined to make the best of it in order to survive. He will do what he can for his nation while it finds itself under occupation and it's government in exile.

Where this book excels though is in the authenticity given to the various locations that the story unfolds in, primarily Poland and France, and the feel of the places that really comes over. The cafes, the locomotive sidings, the lonely hotels, the remote farms. You can smell the wood smoke on the village's edge and hear the old clocks' dull ticking in the safe-house of a humdrum railway town. The secondary characters are fascinating and I only wished that some of their stories be slightly more explored, though perhaps this is Furst's intention, as de Milja so often finds himself suddenly reassigned or having to make an abrupt escape.

Overall, a very enjoyable and escapist read into a frightening world which the author brings to life very skilfully. I will definitely be reading more of his work.
on 3 June 2013
I very much enjoyed this novel although having lived through most of the period I had a job to suspend disbelief at times. The tension was well sustained and the glimpses of the awful problems of the Poles as their nationhood was trampled over from all sides were very well conveyed
on 22 September 2016
A good and revealing description of incidents and attitudes. Enjoyed it although had a hint of repetition I felt. Worth the read though.
on 30 January 2013
A great story of brave people, spell binnding couldn't put it down. a look into the lives of people trod under the iron boot of nazi ism
on 9 January 2011
I saw this book in our community library and I looked forward to reading something completely different from the
type of book I usually read, because I had a Polish uncle who came to England when Poland was invaded by the
Germans and he joined the R.A.F. I wanted to get an insight into the war from a Polish perspective. I found the
book very slow moving, confusing and muddling AND DULL, DULL, DULL. It was so uninteresting that it took me much longer to get through it. Usually I can't put a book down once I have started it. I stayed with it because I can't
let a book get the better of me, but I must say I found it really unsatisfactory. I cannot understand the reviews which say that it was a great espionage book and well written. If this is an example of Alan Furst's writing, then I will not be reading any more of his books!
on 19 April 2013
everyone should read it,exciting ,complex as are all Alan Furst tales are.Sent another one to my sister to share something so good.