on 18 July 2017
The Very Short Introductions are a major educational resource. There are presently over 500 small books covering a very wide range of subjects. Although short, the Introductions are substantial in content. Everyone would benefit from reading these books to broaden their knowledge and understanding in diverse areas of life. Perseverance with some subjects may be required but be prepared to be surprised, enlightened and enriched.
on 26 January 2013
I initially brought this book on recommendation of my tutor who advised us all to purchase it for our degree in religious studies. Having little knowledge of the Hindu faith I found this really useful as it built upon my knowledge I already have attained and furthermore it was simple to understand and follow, it looked at various areas such as basic beliefs, main Gods and even had a section devoted to Hindu women, where Knott looks in depth at the disparity faced by them. Her book makes a clear distinction between those who study Hinduism and those who practice it, so gives a wide view of the faith. I would strongly advise anyone who is studying Hinduism or simply wishing to learn more about the faith to purchase it!!
3 people found this helpful
on 7 May 2015
I do Hinduism at a level and hoped this would widen my knowledge for exams whoever it just touches on the premises of the Hindu way of life and doesn't go into a vast amount of detail
on 9 April 2016
wanted by my daughter for her coursework. Does the job
on 5 November 2015
great product well packed prompt delivery Thanks!
on 26 February 2016
Just the ticket for someone wanting to learn more about Hinduism.
on 8 April 2013
Quite a readable book and very interesting. When delving into a new subject, it needs to be presented in a clear and practical way which is what this book does.
on 27 March 2013
good for getting an overview of Hinduism - I bought this book as I am now teaching Hinduism and it is good to have a basic idea of the religion
on 9 August 2014
This book is at best confusing. Basic information is missed out. I felt no clearer on the history, concepts and practises of Hinduism after reading it. Should have been more concise and relevant. Made me appreciate the other books in the series.
2 people found this helpful