on 19 March 2014
I CHOSE THIS BOOK AS IT IS THE TYPE OF STORY I AM INTRESTED IN THIS IS THE TYPE OF STORY ALIKE.
on 7 June 2014
I want to become a midwife and this book has inspired me on how best to accomplish my practice!! Very humbling book. Well done.
One person found this helpful
on 12 September 2015
a wonderful read couldn't put it down
on 8 January 2014
I have often wanted to know more about the Amish and this certainly gives an interesting insight into their secluded way of life ,
worth a read
on 4 September 2014
enjoyed !!
on 22 February 2010
It is strange how the simplest things can mean so much. I was purchasing a book (not Amish) from amazon when I saw this book a midwifes storys and curiosity got the better of me. A midwife's story is one of those books that draws you in and once you begin to read it you cannot put it down. the story of an 'english' midwife and how she gained the trust of the Amish and it not only informs you about the roles of the midwife and the births of Amish babies and how the Amish respond. it also teaches without been preechy about the Amish culture and beliefs. I have read and re read this book five times and everytime I get something more from it. and everytime I go to read it I still can never put it down. the book goes into other aspects of amish life and that is how the Amish deal with grief from the man who was killed in the fields and how the support was for his heaviily pregnant wife. It also speaks about a still born baby and when you get to Leah at the end of book a hot cup of tea or coffee and a box of Kleanx tissues as it can make you cry.
6 people found this helpful
on 31 August 2013
i found this book very repetitive and not very interesting. I certainly didn't want any gory details, (I've had 3 babies myself) but a bit more of a story line would have been better. Needless to say I didn't finish it.
on 31 August 2009
Lovely book. It's effectively ghost-written but reads as though written by the midwife, Penny. Interesting life story and insight into Amish community.
2 people found this helpful
on 14 April 2010
Being a Scottish trained Midwife, I initially took umbridge at the author's rather deprecatory image of her training in Glasgow. I do realise that times have changed, she may have trained in the late '60s which was still a time of considerable poverty in this area. I ploughed on and ended up really enjoying the book. The copy I bought from Amazon was to have as a "keeper", a work colleague had lent me hers. I don't often keep books, but this is one I want to return to.
3 people found this helpful
on 10 February 1998
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It pictures how truly wonderful, natural and peaceful childbirth can be when faith and love are present and fear is absent. If only all women had such a midwife and trusted their own bodies!
22 people found this helpful