on 14 July 2010
I really enjoyed this book, i am reading the Turnham Malpass series by Rebecca Shaw, and this is the 1st book in the series, a very easy relaxing read, very enjoyable.
on 20 July 2014
I'd been wanting to read to read this series for some time and eventually got round to buying this first book. What a treat. I devoured it in an afternoon, could not simply put it down. Easy reading, but addictive. Loved all the characters and found myself as the book went on of giving myself a wry smile and saying to myself things like ''mmm I know what he's been up to''. Forget Emmerdale this village saga is the best.
on 29 August 2013
I enjoyed The New Rector, the spread of characters and sitcom feel made it more like the thinking girl's bit of chick-lit. The style of writing was a bit 'they did this, then they did this, then they did this' and veered towards feeling like a shopping list of occurrences occasionally, but that was my only gripe, and the plot development really drew me in. One for in the bath or on the beach I think!
on 19 December 2012
This was the first book in the series and I absolutely enjoyed it. The ups and downs of a new vicar in a country village, very true to life. I first bought 5 books in this series for a relative for last christmas and she read them all and has proceeded to read the whole series, as I intend doing.
on 27 March 2013
A friend recommended these books to me and this is my first by Rebecca Shaw - couldn't put it down. Enjoyed it immensely and am certainly glad there are quite a few more to read. One of the greatest pleasures in life is discovering a new author and this is how I feel about this book.
on 19 March 2013
An old favourite borrowed from local library several times I decided I wanted a Kindle copy to keep with me all the time. Will probably buy the entire set of Turnham-Malpas books eventually. Very pleasant In offensive reading.
Thankyou for your service
on 6 October 2016
An easy reading book about village life, transports you into another place, characters feel real, a book full of different going on's, I enjoyed the story line and looking forward to reading the next book (re-reading as enjoyed these books many years ago)
on 18 March 2013
This was easy reading and enjoyable. I find this series very interesting and like to follow the stories about the various characters. After reading other books that are "heavy" or "very difficult" these bring me back to normal.
on 28 December 2015
I picked up another in this series in a bookshop, and wanted to see where it all started. All very escapism, but very enjoyable. The goodies are nice, and the (mercifully few) baddies meet their just deserts.
on 17 May 2013
This group of books is rather like a soap opera in written form. You begin to care about or loathe these people and want to follow their story. Easy pleasant read with good charaterisation.