Customer reviews

Boosting Self-Esteem For Dummies
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£11.39

on 21 November 2015
Good book ,really helps to try and live each day simple .a book to read over and over again .I am well pleased with it .
on 22 April 2011
I absolutely loved this book - another in the excellent 'for dummies' series.
I read 'Cognitive Behavourial Therapy for Dummies' last year (by the same authors), and this is every bit as good.

Lots of useful tips and exercises to improve that all-important self-esteem, and maintaining it at a healthy level. If your self-esteem is flagging a bit (as it can for all of us sometimes), this book can really plug you back in and steer you onto a more positive, helpful and happier path. I experienced positive benefits almost immediately after I'd picked this book up, which says a great deal!

I've learnt now not to be so tough on myself, give myself some recognition for my achievements and uniqueness, and how good it feels if I can benefit others too.
22 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 June 2017
Has anyone said or even thought that the title of this book is so inappropriate?
I understand that it is a longstanding series but the word "dummies" is so at odds with the subject of self esteem.
on 1 April 2010
Everyone will benefit from reading this book. It is absolutely packed with techniques and great ideas around how can someone boost their self-esteem and feel great about themselves! It is also witty and funny - definitely not a boring read! Buy this book and never look back!
on 24 May 2015
This book helped me to understand what self esteem is and how to improve mine. When I was going through a really tough time in my life it came right on time. I aim to complete the activities and tasks one by one. (I used other methods too such as prayer, exercise etc..)
The authors did a great job in simplifying the message and making reading fun as well as educational. A lot of what I read really hit home.
I would highly recommend this book and aim to buy a few more.
on 6 September 2016
I thought the book explained self-esteem very well and there was plenty information on how to improve it. Highly recommend. It may not solve your problem completely but you would be on the right track after reading and re reading. A life long journey.
on 18 February 2013
Although the book is well-structured and quite well-written, the authors assume, at points, an almost patronising tone of voice in addressing readers; à la: 'You, those people with intolerably low self-esteem, should stop having negative thoughts and not see yourself as defined by those negative thoughts'. Firstly, there's something unbearable about self-help book authors who are above it all. Secondly, there are a lot of descriptions of negativity and negative instructions ('don't do...') for a book that seeks to promote calm objectivity/positivity. (Susan Jeffers' books, on the other hand, are brilliant for their positive instructions and positive thinking guides that shape her language and texts.) Paradoxically, the reader can often feel boxed as 'low self-esteem person' per se, not as a multi-faceted person with one difficult area they want to work on - which is, after all, a way of looking at oneself that the authors are trying to promote! In my eyes, they don't achieve this because of their belittling doctor-patient approach and negative tone. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this book to readers who still have a hint of self-confidence/esteem left or want to feel uplifted - not down - after reading a chapter.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 December 2013
A well written book with useful tips to help you boost your self esteem with many salient and relevant points to ponder over and hopefully put into practice to enable you to feel better about yourself. One of the better books on the subject that's important to all of us. It stops you from being a doormat and makes you much happier when you realise that speaking your mind doesn't hurt and can make you a lot more popular into the bargain.
on 13 December 2010
I don't know how good an expert would rate this book but as a layman it seems ideal. I got it for my niece who had been given some pamphlets on improving her self-esteem by an NHS specialist. She finds the pamphlets unreadable but this book should be ideal. It says what to read if you just want to read little bits; it even tells you what the index is for. On the other hand I started reading it from cover to cover and found it very well laid out - so well that I will finish reading it when my niece finds her inner strength.
on 19 May 2012
As someone who believes that the most crippling emotion that we all suffer from is lack of self esteem, I was delighted to discover this book on Amazon having by chance bought first a copy of a Dummy's Guide to NLP. I then bought the Dummy's Guide to Positive Psychology, but cut that short to read the D G to Boosting Self Esteem. I know it sounds OTT, but I really feel that if you only read one book in your life it should be this book! From cover to cover! It is a fantastic self help manual to living and thinking, and I cannot recommend it highly enough!