Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

VINE VOICEon 28 March 2013
and very funny in places too.

I love the way Dr. Moody has changed peoples names......hence his Partner is known as Dr. Bodie Aiken, the Practice Manager is known as Mrs. Mona Lotte, a couple who can't wait to see him are known as Mr. and Mrs. Pryor Booking and Phyliss Glass is the local Publican. There are too many in the book to list here but there are some even more funnier ones.

This book takes me back to when I remember my G.P., wearing an old tweed coat with patches of leather on the elbows and peering at me myopically over the top of his half moon glasses. There seemed to be more time and compassion in those days when you saw your Doctor. Now you are lucky if you can even see your own Doctor unless you decide you are going to be ill two weeks in advance.

As he says in his book, his time is now taken up more and more with filling in forms, meeting targets and general paperwork.
In some ways it would be good to go back to the old ways but as medical advances see to be made daily perhaps it really isn't.
Ten minutes for a Consultation is not enough..........how can you diagnose someone in that paltry amount of time?

The book is full of anecdotes as Dr. Moody goes through his working day some will make you laugh an some will make you sad but such is the life of a G.P.

I'd recommend this highly whilst snuggled up nice and warm on the settee.
on 20 September 2017
To be honest I found this book a little droll. I purchased it, read some of it but I ended up deleting it off my device and it was boring for me. Not what I was expecting, it was a bit of a let-down.
on 20 August 2014
most enjoyable read. Dr. Moody writes with much affection about his life. This is the second book, and as good as the first.
on 10 January 2014
Did not really have me hooked like other medical books. Humour not good just predictable and old fashioned.Bit of a let down.
on 11 March 2017
Brilliant
on 19 September 2008
View from the Surgery
Dr Ken B Moody reminds us of a time in the past when life was more straightforward, more easily dealt with and more gentle. A time when the country doctor would cure all his patients' ills, sometimes with medicine but more often with a simple truth. Spoken well, always gentle and rarely moody.
This book is an excellent collection of infectious and entertaining stories of a retiring country GP. Not focusing on the fussy medical details but reflecting on the laughter in all our lives.
on 15 December 2013
This is a well-written (if you discount the occasional typo and/or formatting error), informative and honest account of selected cases from a GP's surgery.
Although anyone connected with a surgery will have experienced the full range of peoples' behaviour, this book may (hopefully) help to explain why GPs do what they do, or don't do exactly what some patients 'demand'.
on 27 June 2015
This book is certainly not un-put-downable, but it is definitely pick-upable. Being the collected articles by Dr Ken it is written in short passages. As a result I pick it up a read with my elevensies, or if I want a break from chores I'll read a passage to relax.

The stories told are (despite some of the fictitious names) believable enough to have you nodding agreement, but funny enough to bring a smile to the lips. A few of the accounts actually made me laugh out loud.

This is definitely one for someone who needs a little light reading after a rather 'heavier' bout of reading. It may not tax the brain cells, but it does keep me coming back for more.
on 23 November 2014
I wrote a review for this and only gave it a three star rating. I was WRONG. I must have been having an off day!! This book is very readable it made me laugh and having worked in a GP's surgery it made me realise that the good and bad are the same in them all and as I recall it was never boring.
The writer captures the personalities of his patients brilliantly and the names he gives them had me in hysterics.
I apologise for my earlier review and hope it didn't put anyone off reading it
on 12 January 2013
A very good book with good stories and information. VERY interesting and fun. It's not to be read in one sitting.Read some and put down and come back to savour some more.