on 14 February 2017
I was a fan of duran duran as a very young girl (pre high school – so very young). John was my pin up, however I became slightly besotted with Andy after seeing the reflex video (he looked amazing in the video). I still listen to their early stuff, they made some good music in their heyday, and I read Andy's book after seeing some duran duran stuff on sky arts (I only very recently saw the sing blue silver documentary for the first time).
I enjoyed the book, it was an interesting read, however be aware that it's an incredibly one sided/biased insight. After reading I didn't feel any depth of warmth for Andy, the impression I was left with was of a deluded man (prone to self obsession/indulgence). Sure, duran duran were a successful band, however they were never in the league of (nor achieved as did) the bands Andy talks about in his book (thus I found myself cringing at parts – at the comparisons and such like). There wasn't a Dave Grohl or a Sting amongst them (or even a Phil Collins!); none of them had the makings of a successful solo artist.
There is no great reveal about why Andy didn't stick with duran duran, it all seemed a bit silly and insignificant (and I think the truth is that the others probably reached their limit with him). He would still have had an outlet, and something of a career, if he'd committed to staying. It's a shame that he threw that away, and didn't ever gain the acceptance, the realisation/insight (and ability to count his blessings) that duran duran was as good as it was ever going to get for him.
3 people found this helpful
on 28 May 2017
Excellent and interesting read from the viewpoint of Andy Taylor. Of course, they are his memories and as such they should be respected. It would be very interesting to hear the other side(s) of the stories/events told.
on 18 October 2013
I've enjoyed the book up to Chapter 14 but I've now found some of it pretty boring and repetative. I doubt that I will be reading anymore.
2 people found this helpful
on 16 June 2016
A great insight into the history of my favourite band. Interesting to hear it all from Andy's point of view.
on 14 October 2015
If you were a "Duranie" in the 80's then it's a great read. I just wish I'd discovered it when it was first published. Thanks Andy x
on 22 October 2016
One of the better biographies I've read lately .
But like a lot it follows the usual pattern . Get famous , get rich , over indulge in drugs and booze . The end .
on 19 February 2018
Ok :)
on 29 May 2017
I grew up with Duran and loved it all. Just so glad that Andy is ok now. Excellent book. X
on 6 January 2016
Good book if Duran are your idols. A troubled genius with underlying flaws. However honest and well written if a bit biased I feel.
on 9 May 2016