on 14 March 2012
Bought this item from one of the sellers CHEAP*CHEAP.

I was expecting a 12GB allowance to be used over a year, but the sim arrived with 12 x 1GB monthly allowances loaded.

It's fine for the purpose I'm using it for so I'm not concerned but it may be worth checking first with the seller you intend to purchase from what the 12GB allowance comes as!

Delivery from the seller was excellent so on the whole very pleased.
66 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 December 2013
Excellent coverage. I use these sims in my Mifi when I'm out and about for using my iPad on the go. It even has a good signal at work where the walls are three foot thick and it's in the middle of nowhere. Cannot fault the sim and coverage at all. The price is another matter. I paid £54 in October for the 12gb version. It now costs over £70! Why the immense increase? I regularly bought the 3gb version as well until recently to keep a stock in my work bag at a cost of roughly £11. They are now over £20. Almost a 100% increase? Really? A real shame that 3 have done this as I assume they have lost quite a few sales!
on 20 December 2013
This product works well but I won't be buying it again because of the price increase.
Like the 3 GB version it is now almost double the price that I paid for it some months ago.
It is not the suppliers who are putting their prices up - it is 3 who are profiteering.
on 9 April 2012
I bought this 12GB PAYG mobile broadband sim for £43.59 including postage and packing from cheap*cheap a few weeks ago but did not try it until the one originally supplied with the three MIFI Huawei E586 device with a one month contract had come to an end. The sim arrived unbox in a padded envelope, and appears to be genuine. I have now tried it and it seems to work fine with the MIFI device (which had been working very well with the original sim, including download speeds up to nearly 6Mb/s though usually betwee about 500kb/s and 2Mb/s depending on conditions. My only concern about the new sim is that after registering at [...] I discovered that instead of being free to use any of the 12GB at any time between now and twelve months from now, I appear to get only about 1GB each month for a year (unless I've misunderstood the web site). For my purposes 1GB per month will be fine as I need the device only intermittently when away from home, for checking email, perhaps reading news reports, etc. But for a user with more demanding and varying needs, sometimes wanting a lot more than 1GB in one month, this does not look good. There was no mention of this restriction in any of the Three marketing documentation.

I'll be interested to know whether users who bought the standard boxed 'official' 12GB sim also have this restriction.

My only complaint is against Three (Hutchinson): They advertised their monthly contract as having a minimum of only one month, yet my attempts to cancel after the first month were constantly foiled by staff in the Three call centre who kept transferring me to someone else who transferred me. I wasted over two hours before I finally got someone who was willing to deal with the cancellation, though it was never acknowledge by post or text message or in any other form. I suspect that the staff were all trying to make it impossible for me to cancel. So beware of buying from Three, if you think you may want to use your right to cancel.
(Please see my update posted in early March 2013 at the end of this review. The principles I mention below are still relevant but the value for money position in relation to these 12Gb SIMs appears to have improved on this page).

In response to a comment on my first iteration of this review I agree it is important to distinguish between the performance of the 3 Network and value for money issues. I am a regular user of the 3 Network using my Huawei Mifi modem on trips between London and the Sussex coast, and, coverage is good for most of the way, with decent speed too. In the past I had a Vodafone card but on my particular route, the 3 Network SIM card gives better performance in terms of coverage. When my mobile phone contract comes up for renewal I'll seriously consider the 3 Network as my phone provider too.

It will now be obvious that the star rating above relates to the value for money here rather than the product performance. To me, this particular 3 Network broadband PAYG SIM card offers questionable value at its current price, although, you should compare prices of these SIM cards at the time of purchase as the cost does seem to change quite quickly. Based on current prices this card is more expensive than buying a 12GB card on the 3 Network Mobile Broadband Site which actually promises 12GB of data to be used within 12 months as the user wishes. Some reviewers on this page suggest that this particular SIM card actually offers 12 x 1 GB per month rather than 12 GB to be used flexibly over a year. Also, it would cost considerably less at current Amazon prices to buy 4 PAYG 3GB SIM cards (total = 12 GB of data) for the 3 Mobile Broadband Network and each card is valid for 3 months.

In summary, no problem with the network provider in this case but given that this is a "commodity purchase" and the same product is available at many outlets the price is the critical factor here.

UPDATE. Since writing this review I see the price of this SIM card has fallen to a level which appears to be far more competitive with the 3 Network's own prices. Clearly, prices fluctuate, and my advice remains to check prices on Amazon & the 3 Network at the time of your purchase to see you are getting best value.
77 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 September 2013
Normally pay over £80 for this product encased in a plastic dongle but when I saw I could purchase the sim card for this price decided to give it a try, just put in my old 3 dongle and away it went well pleased.
on 30 March 2011
Excellent product and great Amazon price, couldn't find any better elsewhere.

Product shipped very quickly and was received exactly as if bought from a 3 shop. Ran it through a TeckNet micro-sim cutter and worked perfect on my iPad 2. Don't expect to use the 3G much at all so didn't want a monthly contract, this is perfect and if it runs out, I'll buy another one from these guys.
on 14 April 2012
This card is value for money, but it is in 12 monthly sections instead of 1 year, meaning it seems as though it has to be used evenly over the year.
on 4 October 2013
Well, I frankly cannot understand what some reviewers are saying about '1GB monthly usage'. I have had several of these 12GB Sim cards over the past couple of years and I've never noticed any restrictions on monthly usage. In fact I once ran out of data after just FOUR months!!! This is an easier option if like, me, you do not require constant heavy usage/consumption of data and would rather make one annual payment for your 'broadband'. I have three MiFi's dotted all over the place and purchase 3 12GB sim cards annually for them, thus doing away with the need for a Home broadband. The annual cost may not even be as competitively priced as a Home broadband, but at least I still have the option of mobility/transportability of my broadband and most important of all, I will NOT be tied to or at the mercy of grasping greedy providers (show me one, just ONE, internet/phone service provider who allows you to CANCEL your non-obligatory contract with a simple click of an online 'button'.....on the contrary....those in the know will appreciate the 'hell' one goes through to rightfully terminate a contract or standing order!!!). I'm sure most people will come to understand the benefits of these cards much more as the 4G network is rolled out across the country, because only them will most consumers realise they can save a bundle by doing away with not just Home Broadband, but also home land-line........ and still have the reassurance of being in FULL control of their usage and their finances.
on 24 August 2013
Three broadband is great for me, always works ok, and it's fast enough to do most things ( video downloads will crunch a lot of available data-allowance - so be frugal ... if you need to watch you-tube every day then get a broadband land-line setup on contract ), the 12Gb stick is good because you can spead your use over the allocated year without worrying about how much you've used per month. ( your year starts from when you have first registered the stick ).