TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 8 March 2011
Album umpteen for the Scottish art noise terrorists, and the once again, impeccably titled "Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will", proves - if nothing else - Mogwai write the best titles in the business. Any album with a song entitled `George Square Thatcher Death Party' makes quite clear what side of the political fence they straddle. For such an inventive linguistic approach, Mogwai are, aside from that, a curiously silent group in many ways : cover art is never iconic, merely a wrapper in which the music is delivered. For this album, the cover is a blue cityscape, lyrics are quietly excised from most if not all songs, and the shimmering, barely-detectable musical glide that forms a core of their work is dispensed in favour of an altogether more muscular musical language.

Possibly taking a cue from last years excellent "Special Moves / Burning" live set, the glacial ice of restraint - for Mogwai standards - has been removed. We're hardly talking Slayer here : but songs constructed of relatively recognisable elements such as verse, chorus, bridge, refrain, and rhythms that move forward from the opening bars of "White Noise" to the final, more atypical "Music From A Forgotten Future", it's clear there's a journey here : Mogwai never content to rest on their laurels, repeat themselves, going to some new destination. Whilst some of the songs see them fall into their trademarks ound of ascending/descending chords and cacophonous drums - "Rano Pano" - others, such as "Letters To The Metro" and "Mexican Grand Prix"for example, are the nearest Mogwai will probably ever come to a hit, with conventional 4/4 time scales, that - almost - but not quite resemble conventional rock.

All is not lost : by the time of the grand finale - the 23 minute soundtrack to an art piece by the sound of it - Mogwai are back in familiar, meditative territory. Few bands - only Sigur Ros and early Pink Floyd - create a similar atmosphere for me, where the mind wanders, and I become lost in an otherworld environment of thought and idea, where time itself travels at a different speed, my muse is exploring a world that never exists except in my imagination. Maybe that is what Mogwai are best at : soundtracks to the imagination.
on 7 April 2017
I love this album. It has some very good moments. It is not as classic as Mogwai's other albums though. Most of all it has that relaxing/exciting feeling that most Mogwai songs have. Rano Pano is a standout track, as well as Death Rays, which seems to stick in my head all the time. Even if it's not a very innovative track. It's bound to attract more fans to Mogwai, and also intrigue more seasoned fans. There is a lot to be discovered on repeated listens!

Also, the Music for a forgotten future is last but not least a very good addition, or bonus track, if you will. On my edition the "Music for a forgotten future" is hidden at the end after the last track, You're Lionel Richie.
on 23 March 2011
Have to admit I'd almost written Mogwai off. The last two albums had a few decent songs on but were a bit average. I only really checked this out in passing on Spotify. Needless to say I'd soon bought it.
A great mix of quiet and loud, interesting song dynamics and supreme production. Reminiscent in places of Rock Action but with a few more upbeat songs and melodies thrown in. The second disc is decent enough- I can't honestly say it'll spend a great deal of time in my CD player but it is worth a listen. I was blown away by the album though- check it out, it really is worth it.
on 16 November 2014
....possibly the best UK band I have heard: went to see them live on the strength of this album...utterly good and wholesome Glaswegian rock music. Tracks like 'you're Lionel Richie' I just play again and again....almost timeless, perhaps a future classic.
on 22 March 2017
Always different. Always the same.
on 13 April 2017
Everything ok.
on 20 May 2011
...try though I might I just can't get it.
Mogwai have provided the soundtrack to my life for the last 6 years or so and in that time hardly 2 days have gone by without listening to something of theirs. Whatever the mood, there was a track that fitted. Why is it then that I just can't get into this album? I have tried listening to it as if it were not an actual Mogwai release and (shamefully I always thought I had an objective ear ) it came out even worse, I've played it everyday, once a week, left it a couple of weeks but still it doesn't work. Some tracks (shhhh....don't tell anyone ) I even skip over completely.
Sorry, but for some reason I'm feeling like the kid in the Hans Christian Andersen tale here as everyone else is saying how wonderful it is but for me it just doesn't quite click.
TOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 16 February 2011
Mogwai make big music which simultaneously looks out
to the far edges of the universe and inwards to the
small spaces between the cells which contitute what
might remain of our souls. It is a beautiful noise!

Their seventh studio album 'Hardcore Will Never Die,
But You Will' sits well alongside their past glories.
(It is certainly every bit the equal of 2008's 'The
Hawk Is Howling'). Dense, luminous, inspiring sounds
to make our hearts beat faster. Music to remind us
that we are, indeed, sentient beings and fully alive.

There are ten pieces in the collection (eleven if you
aquire this 'limited edition' 2 CD set, which will buy you
an additional twenty three minutes of glorious sound in the
form of 'Music For A Forgotten Future'; a wonderfully realised
imaginative soundscape which truthfully should not be missed!)

First track 'White Noise' is a glorious invention with which
to open the show. The anthemic theme positively brims over
with raw, unprocessed and uplifting emotion. The slow, noble
chord progression is saturated with pounding percussion and
distantly howling guitar. A veritable cosmic storm!

'Mexican Grand Prix' shows subtle humour beyond its ambiguous
title. The stomping beat supports whispered and robotic vocal
intrusions which add a curious urgency to the proceedings.
The mood is light and it is more than possible to dance to it!

The driving riff of 'San Pedro' is a hoot too! It's a top down/
foot down kind of number which would work well as a soundtrack
to driving, at speed, across a desert landscape. At its core there
is a quirky, almost traditional, Highland melody working hard to
burst free of its bonds. Rumbustious, rugged and raw as hell!

On the other hand 'Too Raging To Cheers' is a powerfully lyrical
construction which builds from a delicate musical-box-like
introduction to a monolithic, earth-shaking conclusion.

As you might imagine, I found much to enjoy in 'How To Be A Werewolf'!
Although there are no clear verbal instructions the ambiguous
sonic clues do indeed lead us to the heart of a forest clearing
where a hoedown of sorts would appear to be taking place. The
night birds sing as my hairy brethren link arms in a gently
rolling do-se-do. A delightful and utterly magical idea! Howwwwl!

Final track 'You're Lionel Ritchie' comes on more like a
three-times-a-weapon-of-war than a lady. Bold and brash, it throws
out enough vibrant uncontained energy to melt a glacier!

'Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will' is a thrilling ride.
Mogwai are to be congratulated for their masterly achievement.

Essential.

(11/3/14 : A lot of musical water has flowed under the
bridge since I wrote this and I'm still loving it to bits!)
on 16 February 2011
The best thing about Mogwai is that no-one else can do what they do!

"Hardcore Will Never Die..." is essentially a 53 minute rock epic with barely a hint of vocals; except on 'Mexican Grand Prix' and my favourite track 'George Square Thatcher Death Party'. Where else have you honestly heard a decent rock album devoid of a dominant vocalist? Well, the Scottish quintet have often been compared to the US band Explosions in the Sky, although this album is leagues ahead of the dreary, slow-paced, soft rock that Explosions offer. They have also been compared to Sigur Ros from time to time, but again this is wrong. I guess that if Sigur Ros didn't sing in that ridiculous made-up childish language of theirs then their actual music might sound similar to Mogwai's? But I still don't think it would be as good. I would probably compare it more to some of Death In Vegas' best moments like "Blood Yawning", "Flying" or "Aisha", impressive instrumental rock music that holds its own without the need of any cliched vocals.

Honestly, most tracks would almost be ruined with the inclusion of lyrics. This is because (as most fans know) their music tends to ebb, flow and swell into crescendos rather than following the linear song strutures of most other bands (intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus, end). In fact, it's this characteristic that the band have really perfected on this album. I say this because some of their predecessing albums were much more difficult to listen to in places. Take their classic anthem "Auto Rock" for instance; undoubtedly one of their finest moments but its crashing, smashing and turbulent finale is hardly easy on the ears.

This album however, is a lovely listen. It's possible that some fans may deem it 'too accessible' and too dissimilar to their earlier work, but I think it's fantastic.

Do yourself a favour, try something new today! (Or continue your Mogwai collection).

Try before you buy: 'George Square Thatcher Death Party', 'How To Be A Werewolf' and 'White Noise'.
on 16 February 2011
Since "Come On Die Young", I've been waiting to a Mogwai album to blow me away from start to finish. "My Father My King" was awesome, but hardly an album. "Zidane" came close. All the others have truly inspired moments, especially "Hawk Is Howling". But for me, there was always one or two tracks that didn't quite do it for me or the 'production' wasn't deep enough or something else.

My wait is over. I am ecstatic about this album. No complaints. No doubts. No ifs or buts. Clearly, it is early days, and I've still got a lot to take in. But I have heard enough albums now to spot something that will last.

A fantastic album. Buy it!

Then buy Amplifier's The Octopus