TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 8 March 2011
Album umpteen for the Scottish art noise terrorists, and the once again, impeccably titled "Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will", proves - if nothing else - Mogwai write the best titles in the business. Any album with a song entitled `George Square Thatcher Death Party' makes quite clear what side of the political fence they straddle. For such an inventive linguistic approach, Mogwai are, aside from that, a curiously silent group in many ways : cover art is never iconic, merely a wrapper in which the music is delivered. For this album, the cover is a blue cityscape, lyrics are quietly excised from most if not all songs, and the shimmering, barely-detectable musical glide that forms a core of their work is dispensed in favour of an altogether more muscular musical language.

Possibly taking a cue from last years excellent "Special Moves / Burning" live set, the glacial ice of restraint - for Mogwai standards - has been removed. We're hardly talking Slayer here : but songs constructed of relatively recognisable elements such as verse, chorus, bridge, refrain, and rhythms that move forward from the opening bars of "White Noise" to the final, more atypical "Music From A Forgotten Future", it's clear there's a journey here : Mogwai never content to rest on their laurels, repeat themselves, going to some new destination. Whilst some of the songs see them fall into their trademarks ound of ascending/descending chords and cacophonous drums - "Rano Pano" - others, such as "Letters To The Metro" and "Mexican Grand Prix"for example, are the nearest Mogwai will probably ever come to a hit, with conventional 4/4 time scales, that - almost - but not quite resemble conventional rock.

All is not lost : by the time of the grand finale - the 23 minute soundtrack to an art piece by the sound of it - Mogwai are back in familiar, meditative territory. Few bands - only Sigur Ros and early Pink Floyd - create a similar atmosphere for me, where the mind wanders, and I become lost in an otherworld environment of thought and idea, where time itself travels at a different speed, my muse is exploring a world that never exists except in my imagination. Maybe that is what Mogwai are best at : soundtracks to the imagination.
4 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 7 April 2017
I love this album. It has some very good moments. It is not as classic as Mogwai's other albums though. Most of all it has that relaxing/exciting feeling that most Mogwai songs have. Rano Pano is a standout track, as well as Death Rays, which seems to stick in my head all the time. Even if it's not a very innovative track. It's bound to attract more fans to Mogwai, and also intrigue more seasoned fans. There is a lot to be discovered on repeated listens!

Also, the Music for a forgotten future is last but not least a very good addition, or bonus track, if you will. On my edition the "Music for a forgotten future" is hidden at the end after the last track, You're Lionel Richie.
on 23 March 2011
Have to admit I'd almost written Mogwai off. The last two albums had a few decent songs on but were a bit average. I only really checked this out in passing on Spotify. Needless to say I'd soon bought it.
A great mix of quiet and loud, interesting song dynamics and supreme production. Reminiscent in places of Rock Action but with a few more upbeat songs and melodies thrown in. The second disc is decent enough- I can't honestly say it'll spend a great deal of time in my CD player but it is worth a listen. I was blown away by the album though- check it out, it really is worth it.
4 people found this helpful
on 12 March 2015
I love this album, for its sweeping atmospherics to its repetitive motifs all the way to its indie guitar thrashes. I'd avoided Mogwai for years, not realizing they are one of the UK's hidden gems. This album works everywhere, form the car to the gym to the living room and the darkened bedroom. Full of masterful keyboard and guitar interchange, distorted lyrics and great tunes.
on 31 January 2018
Supberb album
on 13 January 2016
very good...I am slightly more in favour of the other album of theirs I have, 'come on die young' but both sit proudly in my collection.
on 22 March 2017
Always different. Always the same.
on 6 November 2016
love this
on 16 November 2014
....possibly the best UK band I have heard: went to see them live on the strength of this album...utterly good and wholesome Glaswegian rock music. Tracks like 'you're Lionel Richie' I just play again and again....almost timeless, perhaps a future classic.
One person found this helpful
on 13 April 2017