on 14 July 2011
I was a bit skeptical of purchasing this product as I had not heard of this brand before and also because there are a number of products with perhaps more recognizeable brands competing in the same price range. After searching the Web and coming across a number of positive reviews, I thought, what the heck - let's give it a shot.

I'm glad that I gave these a chance. For others who may have similar doubts, here are my thoughts for your consideration.

Sound quality: Good, decent bass and the highs are crisp. The sound quality is better than I had expected and comparable to much expensive headphones that I've used before. I listen to a fairly wide range of music - classical to rap to house. It all sounds good on these headphones.

Active Noise Cancellation: Very effective, I've tried these on the street, bus, tube and overground in London and have to say when activated, it cuts out a lot of the background noise. As expected with ANC, there is an audible hiss when activated but it's barely noticeable once the music starts. I can listen to my music at a lower volume now that the sound doesn't have to contend with all the extraneous background noise.

Design / appearance: Better than I expected. It's not the most streamline or sleek looking set of headphones but it's not an eyesore to me either. The clip is handy, especially since the ANC unit adds a bit of weight to the cord so you can limit the pendulum affect by affixing the unit to your jacket or shirt.

Fit: I wasn't sure what to make of the rather strange-looking earbuds but I have to say they fit quite snug and are comfortable to wear. As expected, they are shipped with the standard 3 sizes.

Gotchas: I *forgot* to check compatibility of my Samsung Galaxy S with this device and found out that I have to use an adapter (included in the box). It's not an issue for me but this may be a deterrent for others. I would recommend checking the manufacturer's website to see if you need to use the adapter before purchasing.

Overall: I'm glad I bought these and would recommend this to others who are looking for an affordable pair of ANC headphones that offer good sound quality.
on 13 October 2014
I have a friend who kept pestering me to buy noise cancelling headsets. He had bought a set around the £50 mark and extolled their virtues. I finally succumbed and reviewed the market and came across this set considerably cheaper than £50, I thought it was worth a punt so bought a set. Wow. I am massively impressed. I have a number of other pairs at the £10-40 price range and these beauties can easily hold their own against any of them without the noise cancelling switched on based on build quality and sound reproduction. I do like the ability to recharge using a micro usb as we now have many devices; phones, kindles, tablets all using the same charger.
For the noise cancelling itself, I can see why people are unhappy about it's effect. If you're looking to cancel ALL noise, go and get the £200+ kit. For example, I did not hear much improvement in the gym or in the house.

If you want to cancel out the background engine noise or road rumble you hear on a plane, train or car, this set absolutely works. I actually bought a second set and we will use them almost exclusively for plane travel. At the price, it's a steal. You even get a wee bag to store the headset which allows me to also store our Aeroplane headphone socket adaptor for those older fashioned systems.

One tip to further enhance their performance is to buy a set of comply isolation earphone tips. The 400 range fits these headsets.
One of my best, low cost, techy purchases of recent times.
on 29 June 2014
I've owned these for 4 months and am delighted. Not sure whether to buy them or not? Here's a simple way to decide.

If you want to block out noise on a train, bus, tube, aircon, worksite or anywhere else where there is a consistent noise, buy them.

For the price, I don't think you're going to get better quality. I've used them on long haul flights sitting over the wing, as well as on my daily commute via train and tube. They block out 99% of noise, to the point where I can listen to my music in peace. There are three different earbud sizes, so fit should not be a problem. Don't expect perfection, but this is as close as you'll get for the price. If you're a true audiophile, don't expect miracles - this is for the generic commuter who wants to block out annoying background noise. They also stay charged for a long time as well which is very helpful and can plug into your usb port for a quick charge at any time.

If you are looking to block out ALL noise, including people talking, don't buy it. Frankly you need to up your budget because you're not going to get total noise cancellation at this price. They definitely don't block out chatter and talk, as other reviewers have mentioned. I don't view this as warranting a lower review, however, as this should be expected by anybody with any experience with noise cancelation.

Overall the quality for the price is excellent and fit for purpose. I've owned pricey Sennheiser noise cancellers before (which were awesome), so can say with experience that these are a fantastic budget item.
on 19 April 2013
I've used this regularly for more than one year now, detecting their good and bad points.

Good:
- Very good noise cancelling, much better than heard on some much more expensive sets
- Light and portable, unlike the sets which use AA or AAA batteries
- Very good battery life
- Sound quality comparable to a much higher price range
- Price (is this real?!?!?!). One of the top noise cancelling sets on the market for just £10? I initially paid £30 and it still was an amazingly good price!

Bad:
- The only flaw I found so far is that the earbuds fall out very easily. Extra attention is needed and I guess the pouch for keeping the headphones in does have its meaning...

I would certainly recommend and in fact, I have already bought them for others.
on 24 January 2011
I've been surprised by these since first trying them. The music reproduction is superb and the ambient cancellation is much more impressive than any other units I've tried. Battery life is excellent too - it laughed at a 12h flight and was an absolute godsend throughout.

Digital Silence DS-101A Ambient noise Cancelling Stereo Headset
on 18 September 2012
I bought Digital Silence soly for flying and could not be more happy, not only could i listen to my music without the background hiss but found that they also silenced screeching children to a soft whimper.But they are no good for stopping them kicking the back of your seat!
on 18 November 2011
Functionally spot on, but I am already on my second set. Why? The point where the cable is attached to the noise cancelling unit is the Achilles heel. Stand up from your airline seat without untangling your 'phones from the seat belt and the cable parts company from the unit. Now I live in constant fear of it happening again :-0
on 14 August 2012
Very good music quality, crisp highs and adequate bass.

But, noise cancelation is almost non existent as soon as the earbud(s) are not perfectly fitting. As soon as the slightest amount of sound creeps in due to not fitting right, almost the entire noise cancelation is lost. The only way i can achieve a tight seal in my ear canals is using the largest bud rubbers and putting the buds upside down in my ears and really push them in. Not only does that look odd, it stresses the cable where they atach to the buds, and the length of the cord between the right earbud to the conrol module is too short to clip the control module to my shirt pockect. All in all disappointing due to not being able to get a perfect fit, considerng a refund if possible.

update: they fit my wife ears perfectly well and she is stunned by the noise cancelling. For me, the angle in which the buds protude from the earphones is way off. My ear canals point upwards & forward, while the buds point downwards & forward when wearing them. For me, they should be rotated about 90 degrees, pointing forward & slightly upwards when the cable is pointing straight down. So its design doesnt suit me, maybe it suits your ears. Too bad the design doesnt allow to rotate the angle of the buds (contemplating cutting them open and glueing them back together rotated right now :-) )
on 6 May 2012
I bought these for commuting on the Tube. They work somewhat, but I was intrigued by how much they actually cancelled, so I tested them under laboratory conditions (I'm an engineer, so I have the instruments, anechoic chamber and test sources). The frequency response of the noise cancelling is confined to (roughly) 120 Hz to 1.5 kHz. Very low frequency noise (like the wheel rumble of a Tube train) is completely unaffected, and they rely on the higher frequency noise being muffled by the earpieces.

The audio quality of the headphones is passable, but no better than any of the £10 earphones that are widely available. Switching on the noise cancelling changes the frequency response of the audio passing through as well as adding an amount of hiss.

Disappointing
55 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 August 2011
I tried them all. Audio Technica (ATH ANC7), Sennheiser (PXC 250), Bose (Quietcomfort 3).

All of them good, but all of them BIG. As a result, they would all spend most of the year in a drawer, and when ready to go on holidays they would be left behind because of their size. Kind of defeats the point, really.

But not anymore. These little Wolfson beauties are small, therefore portable, so they slip in your pocket / bag / cabin luggage effortlessly.

And because of their size, they can also be worn in public, in any and all situations, all year round.

Did I mention the sound quality? Just as good, if not better than all the others mentioned above. Just as efficient, if not more, in the noise cancellation department.

So all in all, a pair of noise cancelling earphones that you can actually carry with you at all times, and which sounds gorgeous! It even comes with a pouch for transport, and an adapter for those who wish to use a mobile phone instead of an mp3 player (yes, it also has a mic so you can take phone calls with it!)

Definitely five stars. Highly recommended!