on 25 March 2011
This book offers a comprehensive overview of emerging CSS3 technologies and techniques. The author looks at all of the new CSS modules in detail, provides well designed working examples, and clear explanations of what works in what browsers. She has certainly done her homework, providing plenty of links in each chapter to some of the best articles online about the promise and potential pitfalls of each technique.

I found the chapters on CSS3 selectors and media queries particularly helpful - the best on these topics I've read in any CSS book to date. These seem to me to be absolutely crucial new CSS innovations, allowing designers to write much cleaner HTML, and address the demands of the mobile web, but there's not too much about them in other CSS books: this one discusses them in depth.

Andy Clarke's 'Hardboiled Web Design' is a great polemic explaining why designers should embrace CSS3: 'Stunning CSS' is a good choice to read straight after, expanding on the detail about how to implement the latest techniques.
on 13 March 2012
This is a great book if you want to take your CSS to the next level and the practical walkthrough examples which you download from her website are very useful and provide great hints for your own work. I would not say that this is a beginners book, prior to this I had done three HTML and CSS courses and must admit that I found the Chapters on Flexible Box model layouts to be conceptually challenging. There was a criticism in one of the other reviews that 3d transforms were not covered, OK this is true but 3d transforms are very experimental and will not work in a lot of browsers, I don't think that the author can cover everything. My only slight criticism is that the book does not use HTML5 as the skeleton on which to hang the CSS, CSS3 is very much tied to HTML5 so this might have been beneficial, perhaps the author would like to address HTML5 in her next book? overall a great book and deserves much more credit and attention than it has received.
on 22 July 2011
There are so many good books out there on CSS3 and HTML5, but what makes this one stand out is the amount of practical research and experience with CSS3 the author brings to bear. She presents her material in an English that flows very easily especially considering the technical material. I am very grateful to have here the results of a huge investment in time made by a 'web geek', as the author styles herself. There are lots of links to other peoples' research and advice that are useful to have yet the book stands up in it's own right. I don't know that it covers every aspect of CSS3 that you'll want to know but it covers a lot of new stuff at a good depth. Highly recommended.
on 31 March 2011
I bought this after seeing a recommendation on Twitter. I was interested in learning more about CSS3 with a prior knowledge of CSS. This book is not only a cracking introduction to the new properties introduced with CSS3, but gives you a complete overview of how to use them, with full colour examples. Thorough explanations are provided and - one of the really useful parts of the book that makes it my first CSS reference - multiple web addresses for relevant content online.

I'm really glad I bought this book, it's made my life easier and is perfectly pleasant to thumb through for specific info. I'd recommend it to anyone who wanted to know more about CSS3!
on 3 July 2011
It's not often I read a book and feel like I've learnt something new after every page; however this was exactly what I felt after reading Stunning CSS3.

Previously I'd known some of what CSS3 was capable of - rounded borders, box shadows, semi-transparency with RGBA - but I'd not seen such a complete overview of what's new in CSS3, or as many real-world examples of how its features could be used in combination, as offered by this book.

What I liked about this book was the emphasis on progressive enhancement; that we should be striving to give visitors with the latest browsers the best possible experience, while still presenting a perfectly acceptable experience to visitors with less modern browsers. The author did a good job of explaining current browser support for each feature, and how to implement features in such a way that older browsers still render the page nicely.

If I have one criticism it would be that too much time was covered on workarounds for IE6. Sure, cross-browser compatibility is important, but IE6 is ten years old now and any web designer or developer picking up this book shouldn't expect the examples to be supported.

A lot of focus was also given to usability and efficiency, for example reducing HTTP requests by replacing images with styles. You may not think this is particularly important (with broadband speeds now pretty commonplace), but with mobile browser usage growing fast this is still worth being aware of.

The term "responsive web" is this year's buzzword and this book dedicates a chapter on designing for various screen sizes through media queries. Not only is this incredibly useful for mobile designs, but designing for larger screens too (e.g. internet-enabled TVs).

Finally I was pleased that even parts of CSS3 with little or no browser support are covered. The flexible box model was completely new to me and I look forward to being able to use this once all browsers catch up with the spec.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and am itching to start using media queries, web fonts, transforms, and a whole bunch of other CSS3 goodies soon.
on 5 October 2011
Very useful. Good overview, with enough practical examples and tips. The author has a real eye for detail and a professional practitioner's appreciation for doing things properly and efficiently.
on 26 May 2011
Excellent guide in very easy to follow language. It's just the thing I was looking for to brush up on my CSS3 knowledge and put the whole thing into context. Recommended
on 22 January 2011
Totally recommended for anyone like me who requires a clear explanation of why and how to implement css3 along with progressive enhancement techniques. And so readable.
on 30 December 2011
I found the book very basic. It doen't cover any 3D css, very little 2D, and it's written trought some examples that i found very little useful. Anyone looking for a complete CSS3 book skip this one. And it's out of date too (it's written before firefox 4 release, so...)