Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 27 March 2017
Simply Eva. This album is Eva recorded with just her voice & her playing her acoustic guitar. Most of the songs on her other albums feature a backing band which there is nothing wrong with but these stripped down versions to my mind have more feeling especially "Wayfaring Stranger" & "Who knows where the time goes" with their poignant lyrics. If i could only pick 2 of Eva's albums it would be this one & "Live at blues alley".
on 6 August 2014
Pure Acoustic CD of Eva Cassidy
this is a minimalistic disk , acoustic guitar and voice 12tracks
contains selected recordings from previous CD,
contains a Capella ( voice only) "I Know you by heart" .
if you have already others CD of Eva Cassidy, you must check the list of the songs.
If you have to buy 1 CD only of Eva Cassidy then you must buy "THE BEST OF EVA CASSIDY" 20 tracks.
excellent recording, excellent CD sound quality, excellent performance
Before you buy you can listen in youtube
"Wayfaring Stranger", "Eade in the Water", "I Know you by heart", "Over the rainbow", "Kathy's song",...
Eva Cassidy has gone in 1996 but she lives in our hearts for ever.
on 1 October 2011
Already have five Eva Cassidy CDs and love them, but this is different. Even where songs are duplicated the versions here are worth having as alternatives. I sometimes find that Eva was accompanied by middle-of-the-road musicians. On this disk it is pure Eva. The intimacy and immediacy, especially for late night listening for example, is wonderful to experience.
on 26 June 2017
Wanted to love this. But didn't.
This album called Simply Eva is "Simply" the best Eva Cassidy release to date.
There has been some criticism of this release based on the fact that all of the songs have been released before. And although it is true that these "songs" have been released before, they were different versions. The versions on this album are all united together by the fact that they are all acoustic versions. Each track features just Eva and her Guitar or just Eva. This makes this album unique. It stands out above the earlier albums in this respect. Not only that, but you truly get the cream of what Eva Cassidy is all about.
I have to say that this album is one of my all time favourite albums. And it certainly is the best one by Eva Cassidy.
We get the fantastic voice and the great guitar playing. We get the powerful and beautiful expressive connection through the performance not only to the songs themselves, but also to Eva herself. She really brings the songs to life and gives them their maximum potential. She has perfect pitch and harmony. She has this incredible talent to make the song all hers. Each song has its unique Eva Cassidy interpretation that almost turns even an old song into a new one. Eva had that edge of injecting a new twist of life to a song.
This album illustrates these points more than ever. The arrangments are not cluttered with other instruments and sounds. They are not needed. We can see that with the right performer you can bring out the best in a song with the simplest of arrangment. Both vocals and guitar work are excellent.
Also this programme of tracks is a fine collection of songs. "Songbird" is great. "True Colours" is better treated here than either Cyndi Lauper or Phil Collins versions. The wonderful Sandy Denny song "Who knows where the time goes" gets an incredible rendition and Paul Simon's "Kathy's song" is given beautiful interpretation. I even prefer the arrangement of "wade in the water" to the version released before. And the same can be said for "Time after time" another Cyndi Lauper song.
The song "somewhere over the rainbow" was the song that made her famous in the UK because of its unique interpretation by Eva. She gave the song a whole new audience and a new lease of life. This acoustic version on this album is fabulous.
Eva was always best on her more acoustic and folkie recordings so this album is pure magic.
Most of the tracks were recorded live but full marks must go to the people involved in the recording engineering on all the tracks and equal praise should go to Bill Straw who compiled and sequenced the album. The Production is excellent and the sound mastering is very good.
on 15 July 2013
a relaxing tribute to Eva Cassidy who sadly died, this will get you into a soulful mood, it's easy on the ear and sublimely beautiful each track creates an atmosphere of its own - highly, highly recommended
on 16 September 2011
My LifeThis won't be a long review because losing Eva still breaks my heart.
We're very lucky to live in an area that encourages musicians and singers. The Washington, DC area is not considered to be a center of the music industry but there is quite a bit of work for our area musicians. Since the chances of hitting the big time are almost nonexistent, most of the musicians here either grew up here of moved to this area because they like to work every day, and because they work every day, they're great musicians. That sets up a very supportive, noncompetitive atmosphere and the musicians here embrace that atmosphere. That's why Grace Griffith sent Eva's tapes to Blix Street Records.
Grace was working on her first record for Blix Street (Minstrel Song) and we were all very excited with and for her. Grace came into the studio one day and asked if I thought she should send Eva's tapes to Blix St. I told her I thought she should wait a couple of months to make sure her record went smoothly and to be sure Bill Straw who runs the company would be good to work with since Eva's parents were still grieving and I wanted to be sure that we couldn't possibly add to that grief in any way.
Well, she sent them anyway, which is really just what she should have done. Bill Straw and Blix Street did everything right. When Eva's music started to spread, they manufactured enough, they followed the flow of interest and stepped up to dedicate their lives to making Eva's music available. People around the world fell in love with Eva and her music just like we love her here. (Yes, we do and did love Eva here but the people who write books don't talk to us.)
The first time I heard Eva's music coming out of a store front I was on tour in New Zealand, just walking down the street. I was so overwhelmed I sat down on the street and cried. (Ah, sorry Christchurch. Ha.)
Eva's music makes the world a better place. Musicians here are still finding rehearsal tapes and donating them to the cause. Chris Biondo, Eva's producer and long time friend is still working to make sure every note Eva sang can be heard in it's best possible light.
That's why you need to buy this record.
And that also brings us back to Grace Griffith. Grace took a back seat to Eva for quite a while and she was happy to but while we were finishing her record we found out that Grace had Parkinson's. I don't have to tell you how tough that is.
The BBC 2 is now starting to play Grace's music. It's too early to know what will happen for Grace. All I can say is I hope you buy and carefully listen to Eva and then add the music of Grace Griffith to your ears and heart. After all, Grace was Eva's favorite singer. Now it looks like Eva can help Grace in return. Eva would be proud.

Thank you to all of the people who love Eva's music. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Marcy Marxer
(working class musician, played on Eva's music, producer for Grace Griffith, friend of Chris Biondo, 14 Grammy nominations in several categories, 2 Grammy wins for production and children's music...and you've probably never heard my name. Ha. OK, back to work. Love DC.)
99 Comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 December 2016
I was lucky to meet eva in America before she was taken from us at such a young age so anything eva sings is great to me
on 1 October 2016
bouhgt for my father in law
on 18 September 2016