on 28 February 2012
I bought this book because it had a lot of good reviews, thinking this must be very comprehensive and helpful, and in many ways it is, i found some of it helpful and the rest of it very interesting, probably more interesting than helpful. Maybe this is because i already play a stringed instrument. For the price however it is definitely worth having especially if you are a novice and want more than just a "How to play" guide book
on 18 August 2012
Bought this on Kindle. It is very useful and helpful for beginners, but I have found it an entertaining read, with hints and tips for people who have been playing for a while. All in all, I am very happy to keep it on my Kindle and use it as a handy reference. I highly recommend it to any Uke player, a very informative read.
on 27 January 2011
Have just started playing the ukulele and saw this book advertised on a forum.
Its a great, compact little guide that has really helped me out as a beginner.
Good price, and highly recommended !!
on 4 August 2012
If you are an absolute beginner, there is some useful stuff in here, but you can find all this and more for free online. I had been playing for only six months when I was lent this, and can honestly say that it didn't teach me anything I hadn't already picked up. On the positive side, I haven't found anything wrong with the information in here and it is short enough to read in a couple of evenings. If you want one book to kickstart your ukulele career, this isn't it. Buy the Dummies guide instead.
on 2 June 2011
Having played with the man many times (no, not in that way!!!-cheap innuendo worthy of George Formby) I can say he knows his stuff. The thing is, you don't have to be a hardened muso to appreciate the beautiful sound a uke can make, and this book shows you how to make good music in a short space of time. I'm a fanatical guitar player but the practicality and versatility of a uke has always appealed to me and it's how I started to learn chords as a kid, I got my first uke( first a cheap Hawaiian style one then a rather expensive Dallas model D George Formby banjolele) as a 9 year old, then let it drop when rock and folk guitars took over in my teens. This book and Barry himself have made me take it up again, and the marvellous range of ukes available ( described in the most practical terms in the book, both cost and quality-wise) and sound advice should make it easy to get sorted for anyone wanting to dabble. Chord patterns and song tabs are plentiful, and no matter what your musical tastes may be,you'll be surprised at just what you can play in a short space of time. Check it out and go on the blog as well!
on 6 February 2015
great
on 19 May 2013
Great book, in an easy style that is not patronising but contains some real gems that are really helpful if you are an new or improving player. It also is a size that fits into the front pocket of my Uke's case. So I can take it with me, but the typset is a nice size to read.
on 2 September 2011
This little book is a must get for the novice, gives much essential info on the uke, and also on purchasing the right one.Its also a must for any uke player, as it has a lot of common sense advice that gives great encouragement. Great read !
on 28 January 2013
I purchased this for my kindle. It's packed full of information, that you need to know if you are thinking about taking up the ukulele. It really is a must buy ukulele book.
on 25 July 2011
This is an excellent book well written by and expert in his field. Baz guides you through the different aspects of the ukulele in a very helpful way.I suggest anyone considering buying a ukulele buys this book first.Another plus point is that it fits in the storage pocket of my gig bag!