Top positive review
19 people found this helpful
Enjoy a classic...
on 8 March 2012
It's worth beginning this review with a health warning, if your offended by nudity or sexual game play stay clear and stop reading now...This game has cause much division among gamers and I'm sure will continue to do so for a while yet. I would propose that perhaps because this game been misunderstood more than anything else. If you considered this a serious game like Bioshock, or Rage you would be grossly disappointed.
The most important thing is to recognise the context in which DN3D and the previous games of this franchise emerged. An era when gameplay was so limited, and graphics so shocking that 'serious' game play was never going to happen. If you had played the original you would have found the same chauvinistic male protagonist and women simply drooping at his feet that DNF delivers. In addition level designs were minimal (again like DNF) and even if you found cover glitchy game play meant you got shot regardless.
To be honest Duke has always been a hedonistic, psychopath spouting one liners while getting kicks out of his own reflection. Fact. So why would you expect different now? Duke has always been offensive and controversial game, particularly so in our present culture that seems to enjoy urinating on every bonfire it can find. For someone who loved the original games it's refreshing to take a step outside the serious intensity of present FPS games out there and enjoy all the elements that make my day: Porn, beer, and gratuitous violence.
- It's a good laugh and tribute to the original games
- The one liners are awesome
- Uses weapons from the original game I've still not encountered in other FPS (like shrink ray)
- Female nudity (I'm a guy and enjoy this kind of thing, if you don't like it, don't buy the game because that's what Duke Nukem's always been like!).
- Ridiculously sexual level design (just look at the different doors in the alien zones and the structures the topless maidens in distress are strapped to)
- If you play a lot of FPS you will probably not enjoy this game for a number of reasons including: no customisation, limited cover, often repatative game play (ie beating the same type of villains over),
- Not particularly ground breaking game
- Can become repetative and tedious at times for usual gamer
- Not much creativity or thought seems to have really gone into this game which I agree could have been better
When understood in context DNF is a good bit of fun. Not to be taken seriously and the level of female nudity means it will most probably appeal more to men. This game will most probably appeal to fans of the original games as a fitting tribute to what was an awesomely obscene franchise. Expect nudity, violence and a real laugh. Probably worth grabbing out of the bargin bin from your local store as it's a game to dip in an out of.