VINE VOICEon 22 March 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When I saw this toaster, I decided I absolutely HAD to have it, I knew it would be amazing and I am not disappointed.

I absolutely LOVE the design, it is just so retro looking, and feels very sturdy indeed.

The major worry I had is that they would focus too much on the radio. However this is really not the case, the radio is fantastic, however digital may have been a little more modern.

The toaster funtion is fantastic, it fits thick and thin bread, and the settings work really well.

I am happy with this all around a great deal!
VINE VOICEon 28 May 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This toaster is great if you like the radio on in the kitchen but have limitied space as I do. My kitchen is about 8 by 6 so every inch counts when buying bits for it. I tend to only keep stuff in there which is functional although DO have one or two small decorative bits. I always had a radio on the go in the morning which took up extra space but was worth it for listening to various bits. When this product arrived I took the radio out and the toaster.

So - sound quality is okay, I had a very very cheap radio previously and this is of better sound quality. It was easy and quick to tune to various stations and the volume control was easy too. The radio bit of it is fine if you just like the background music and are not looking for high quality speakers etc.

The toaster was functional and does two pieces of toast at a time, there is an adjustment to length of toasting so you can make sure toast is done to your liking. It's easy to keep clean and I am happy with it in my kitchen, it looks fairly good and is popular with my son in the mornings.

In summary this is receommended to those who:-

Have limited kitchen space for both a toaster and radio
Don't need very superior quality sound (the sound with this product is perfectly fine)
Want a toaster which has adjustable settings.
on 13 December 2012
Bought this to provide music in kitchen without the need for yet another work top box. Toasts great and radio works well whether toasting or not although I found setting up the presets a bit fiddly. Don't need the fm aerial where we live as radio works well without extending it.
VINE VOICEon 3 October 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This toaster looks great. The design is very retro and it has a shiny black/stainless steel finish. The radio is analogue, but functions well and has an extendable aerial to improve the signal. Just be aware that the toaster is quite large and the protruding radio dials need to be taken into consideration if you're going to store the toaster in a drawer. For toasting, the Breville is as good as any toaster, taking most bread sizes and offering a browning option. This with ought doubt a stylish addition to the kitchen.
VINE VOICEon 5 June 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Well a toaster with a radio, whatever next? As a space saver this is a fantastic concept and a great purchase for anyone with a small kitchen as the 2 appliances are neatly and stylishly blended. It does indeed look most stylish with a retro look but a clear and firm radio front, well designed toasting/reheating/defrosting buttons.

I guess my big criticism is that it hasn't got a digital radio, neither it is in stereo; surely these are standard in these modern times?
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 April 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
In my opinion, combining a toaster with a radio isn't one of the most obvious solutions to that common problem of a lack of space. After all, what do they have in common? However, it seems that Breville have pulled this off rather well. The toaster itself seems to be well built, although the browning control button does seem slightly flimsy. While it looks slightly unusual to have a radio on the front of the toaster, I believe this is something that it will just take time to get used to, rather than it being downright ugly.

With regards to the radio, the sound quality is a bit tinny and there is a bit of interference, but then, it is primarily designed to be a toaster. Other than that though, there wasn't much else to fault with it. Many of the features which could be found on a standard household radio are also present on this, for example auto-tune, station preset for up to 10 stations - so you don't have to keep re-tuning - and an equaliser with settings such as rock, pop and classical. You can also connect an iPod or other MP3 player via an aux-in lead; however this is not supplied with the toaster.

As can be seen in the picture, it also contains an aerial which can swivel round when fully extended in order to get the best reception. However, bizarrely this is located at the front of the toaster which means it can get in the way when you just want to toast some bread! If it had been located at the back of the toaster, it would have been much better.

Moving on to the toaster itself, all the features are fairly common to all toasters. It has buttons for reheating and defrosting as well as a button to cancel the toasting process. Each of these have a blue LED so it can easily be seen what setting is being used. I did find that it didn't toast very evenly as one side was often slightly burnt, while the other was just perfect.

With regards to the browning setting, I had assumed that because there was a scale of 1-6 - which was the same as my old toaster - I could use the same setting. Therefore, I used 3, but this left my bread a bit burnt, so I had to resort to using 2 instead. (I definitely wouldn't like to see what 6 does!) The final feature I came across was the high rise function, although this doesn't raise the bread any more than 1cm, so a bit pointless in my view.

Overall, it's a decent enough toaster and is comparable to any other toaster on the market, but the distinguishing feature is the radio. While it doesn't have the best sound quality, it's acceptable enough and I would have no problems with using it in the kitchen just to pass the time while cooking.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I got this as I have the smallest kitchen in the world and as my old toaster was on it's last legs the idea of having a built in radio was quite appealing, although a little "gimmicky". I've got to say I've been pleasantly surprised by it.

The design is great, there's a very retro feel to it and it looks lovely sat in my kitchen!

The radio signal has been very good, I was worried that it might get interference when the elements were being used to toast bread but that wasn't the case. Granted it's not a digital radio but that's hardly a great issue. There is a defrost function and a crumb tray, both of which I find really handy.

What I did really like was that you can put extra thick bread or crumpets into it with no issues. Even better, for things such as crumpets, pancakes and teacakes, when they're done you can nudge the handle on the side up slightly so that they're raised high enough to be able to get out. I've always been scared that digging my knife in to drag them out I was going to get electrocuted and invariably I'd end up ripping chunks out of the food as I dragged it out.

What does annoy me with pretty much all toaster, including this one, is that they're not deep enough. If I put in a regular slice of bread it hangs over the top by about an inch, meaning that half way through I have to turn it around, although it's a small gripe it's about as annoying as having to dig out food with a knife (although not quite as dangerous) and is something that I hope to see fixed by toaster manufacturers in the future
VINE VOICEon 26 March 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a stunning looking toaster with a unique style which will fit in many different environments, from modern to classical homely style kitchens.
The toaster is a good size, not overwhelming the area it sits in, and the radio controls are discreetly embedded in the front face.
Simple controls allow you to tune and listen to the radio with up to 10 preset stations, and it is easy to learn the controls to do so. Once tuned it produces a good quality sound, even at loud volumes, and with the large antenna ensures a decent signal.
It even comes with an equalizer setting to adjust according to several presets, for example Rock or Classical. Unfortunately it does not offer any fine tuning but it is a nice touch.
The only downside is that it does not include an input cable for an auxiliary device, such as an iPod, and you'll need to buy one yourself should you wish to use this feature. It seems a tight move for an otherwise high quality build.
The toaster itself works well, providing an even browning over the bread and offering different options including cancellation and defrosting.
The only issue I have experienced with toasting is that a standard Hovis loaf sticks out slightly at the top, meaning the top 1-2cm isn't toasted. This is a shame as otherwise the toasting is perfect.
It is also encouraging that the toasting has been the same over repeated use on the same setting, unlike other toasters where even leaving the same setting can cause random results.
All in all this is a very stylish toaster which does two jobs brilliantly. A hidden radio amuses everyone who sees it and provides a nice talking point, whilst the toasting itself works well and does everything you could ask.
If you need a toaster, even if you don't need a radio, you can do a lot worse than pick this one.
review image review image
on 23 March 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I loved the whimsical idea of this toaster/radio even though I am not a huge toast fan.

The toaster and radio both perform their duties well. The toaster produces perfectly crisp toast from fresh, chilled, or frozen bread. The FM/AM radio contains the capability to preset 10 channels, has an MP3 plug in point, and normal mode settings (classical, jazz, pop, etc) that you would expect from most radios.

I won't go into the product spec in too much detail as you will probably have already read about this on the listing and on other reviews...but what don't you know about this radio/toaster that you should do?

* Does the radio heat up during toaster use?
The radio dials remained cool during use. However, you may want to be aware of the antennae proximity to the elements during use.

* What are the dimensions?
Two slice toaster of standard height, 25cm long x 17cm wide.

* How good is the radio?
Clarity on this radio is really good. There was no sound distortion even at high volumes.

Personal viewpoints...
* Any negatives?
It is a shame that there is no medium wave radio...so no sport to keep the men in the kitchen!

* Is it worth the money?
This toaster/radio is clearly not the cheapest toaster on the market, although it is more attractive than most! If you enjoy high quality kitchen products then it certainly is worth the money, and makes a lovely addition to existing black or silver kitchen appliances.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Okay, let's get the negative out of the way, for a toaster this is a bit pricey. If it did 4 slices in one go then it's justified I suppose. Anyway, with that out of the way....

The toaster does look very stylish and will fit in with kitchens where appliances are black or silver (as the toaster has both). Ideal for small kitchens as it can replace toaster and radio with one item which is precisely why I got it.

So far as the toaster is concerned, unlike my former toaster which had the habit of toasting bread differently every time you used it despite not changing the settings, the Breville is far more consistent. The extra leverage to get your bread out is quite handy, particularly when you taost crumpets as they usually get stuck.

Regarding the radio, I wasn't expecting much but it is a handy little radio. Yes it isn't 5.1 Dolby Surround DAB, but it doesn't need to be. It picks up all my local stations and I only found out a day later that it had an Aux socket for mp3's. I haven't tried this yet but I intend to shortly.

With the way it looks I doubt it would look out of place in most kitchens so if you aren't bothered by price, I can fully recommend this.