Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 11 August 2015
At first I thought nah this is stupid and it has aged badly but I stuck with it and started to see the funny side of it. When you meet the ALien then you get it or you don't. But that's when I realised why this film inspired so many others.
on 18 July 2008
Prior to Dark Star - heavy space metal came slick and clean - one only has to look on board 2001's Discovery and Starship Enterprise to know how wonderfully spick and span they looked. Dark Star takes a different tack, it is not a very clean environment and is crewed by hippy types who appear to indulge in cannibis. It is a very funny film, we have a computerised talking bomb, a pet alien which looks like a beachball with claws; one is given the onerous task of feeding. Then there is the lift shaft which is totally out of proportion with the spaceship itself.

A very funny and original film - just goes to show high budgets don't mean a thing.

The ethos, if you can call it that, was successfully repeated in the Red Dwarf TV Series.
on 20 August 2014
Wonderful! I only had a very poor VHS version which I had bought for 50p in a junk shop. A totally quirky SF film. Not many of our friends know about this film. Hilarious especially the part where Pinback has to feed the alien!
on 7 September 2014
This was a real gem. Wasn't sure I'd like it, but ten minutes in I was hooked. I really identified
with how the characters felt about their lengthy mission.The understated humour really worked.
Excellent.
on 30 August 2014
One of my favourite films. It was good in 1974 and it's still good now although just a little dated. Sound quality is not brilliant but with such a low budget film as this you take the rough with the smooth.
on 19 July 2014
This is a seminal work. I'd surmise that it was probably the primary source of inspiration for the Red Dwarf series. Dark and a bit dated now, but still very funny in places well worth a watch.
on 19 October 2011
Brilliant Carpenter, It may be low budget, it may have a small cast and a Giant beach ball but its superb with a brilliant silver surfer tribute and you can really sympathise with bomb 20
on 2 December 2005
The case claims that this is a widescreen anamorphic DVD, which it is, but the film is presented in 2.35:1 format. This image has been created by taking the 1.85:1 letterbox format and simply stretching it horizontally to fill the screen on a widescreen telly. In order to watch it in its correct aspect ratio, I have to manually adjust my TV to "cinema" format which gives me a 1.85:1 picture with slight black bars at the top and bottom of the screen. This is not the 1.78:1 widescreen anamorphic format I was hoping for.
That said, the film is a classic, and it's only four quid, so buy it anyway.
on 19 March 2015
Saw this film when it came out just had to buy the DVD
brilliant mixture of Sci-Fi and comedy , a must see film
delivery time excellent , arrived on the day stated
on 19 August 2014
For Dark Star/John Carpenter afficionados like me, this is the ultimate edition. Packed full of excellent extras and a good print of the film you will not be disappointed.