on 13 November 2017
This is a great read and you will not want to put it down. I was still reading after midnight but did not want to put it
down

Am sure you will feel the same once you start.
on 26 September 2012
Mind Games (VIGILANTE Series) I am a very busy bloke and do not have time to read books. I don't think I have EVER read three in such quick succession as Claude Bouchard's wonderful Vigilante series. Vigilante itself was brilliant, followed by The Consultant and I have now just devoured Mind Games. Another one that I simply couldn't put down and the ending was absolutely what I wasn't expecting!! The characters and are crafted in a beautifully gruesome way and are eccentric yet absolutely believable as is the story itself!! I have already bought the next in the series, The Homeless Killer and will be starting it when I have written this! Keep 'em coming Mr Bouchard....
on 15 January 2013
The downward trend continues which is a shame because I think CB is able to write much, much better.
From the police procedural aspect this is laughable. For example we had a possible sighting of a serial killer in a bar. The police rush there, ignore a car fleeing from the immediate area (and never bother later to check who owns a tan BMW in the city), interview none of the customers for a description, and don't bother to pick up and fingerprint the suspect's glass etc. etc.
The whole thing is as sloppy as 'The Consultant' predecessor. Anyone who doesn't guess the 'twist' before a third of the way through probably isn't paying attention. I am poor at discovering who did it in a whodunit and I knew the answer before my Kindle said 18% read which does rather detract from the tale. The idea is good but very poorly executed.
My other complaint is the dialogue, particularly between Chris and Dave, which is generally utterly banal or downright unlikely. Captain of detectives Dave 'BURST with laughter' (my capitals) after Chris said 'I get you' and nodded with a wink. Really!
There are other examples of strange word usage. Dave 'recuperated the morning paper on the front doorstep' and 'he was busy at something which impassioned him'.
The interaction between Sandy and Chris is also utterly shallow.
Occasionally bursts of unnecessary adverbs mar the prose. For example: 'greeted her brightly', 'nodded grimly', 'asked suspiciously', 'grinned sheepishly' all within a dozen lines or so. Nothing wrong with the odd adverb but when they come along in tight groups like London buses they read badly.
I shall not be buying the next in the series.
on 8 January 2013
This was the third book on this series that I read (I know -wrong order, but I had no way of knowing what order they come in)and I really didn't enjoy it as much as the first two. There were several words incorrectly used - lost in translation maybe? - and far too many uses of 'cuz', for because. Please write the word in full if you do any more books Mr Bouchard.

I guessed the plot very early on and was a bit surprised that the police consultant psychiatrist, Barbara, hadn't worked it out.

Others have given the plot, involving murders committed with 4 different MOs but similar in some ways - mutilated genitals being the main one. The problem concerning the police and Discreet Activities group is whether there are four killers or one. An emminent criminal psychiatrist is called in and obviously knows more than he is telling.

For those who didn't guess, the twist at the end will have been a surprise. As with all the books, Chris Barry and Dave McCall return home to their loving wives. There are a lot of innuendos about what activities take place throughout the book!

I am reading my way through the series - in the wrong order - and in spite of the niggles, enjoying it very much.
on 7 February 2013
Some reviewers have commented that Mind Games is downhill from Claude's previous books. I disagree. I found this an enjoyable continuation of the series. It takes a different route, concentrating on a series of psycho killings rather than the Vigilante himself (although he obviously stars in the killer(s)' apprehension). The characters from previous books are still "in character", and the story is plausible - although with some holes and inconsistencies as highlighted in previous reviews. Despite these, I found the story held my attention and the Kindle edition was generally without errors (I also noticed "recuperate the newspaper" but Kindle's own dictionary says it also means to "recover or regain", so it's not altogether wrong, just a bit odd). Overall, I think I can put Claude somewhere well above average in my list of "authors to look out for", and there's a lot of so-called best sellers who fall short of that.
on 23 February 2015
This is bk 2 in the series. What a dark topic.. and quite frightening, (The title says it all) as I am sure this kind of thing happens, although not too often one would hope. I did guess though how all the characters tied up, but it still made rather excellent reading. I do love the 3 main characters though, they certainly have a great banter and understanding of each other, which only goes to prove that this author has too.... His sense of humour is great which comes over in his works, even if its just a line here or there..... All the books in this series are a real page turner for me personally... I would recommend them to everyone.... (no romance though, just a good old crime thriller.)
on 29 May 2013
I really enjoyed this latest in the series of Vigilante books, much more so than the last one. I removed one star for the niggling little errors in it...missing apostrophes and small words-like a or the and then push and not pushed, call and not called. Silly mistakes that an editor should be picking up and I made the same complaint in my review of his last book and they're the same in this one.
I still really like the Chris Barry character and his wife Sandy and look forward to more in the series. I did guess whodunit around a third of the way in but that didn't spoil it in any way. I'd highly recommend this set of stories. They're always fast-paced and easy reading but interesting too.
on 22 November 2012
I loved the first two books in this series, but they were far superior to this. Firstly, the sentence constructions, tenses and occasional adjectives were odd - I think there has been a different translator used (written in French maybe? How else could you come up with the following "he had made his compulsory trip to the bathroom, started up the coffeemaker and recuperated the morning paper on the front doorstep". Really? Recuperated? On the front doorstep? One of many that are throughout the book).

Secondly, the plot was not exactly complex, and it was just a case of plodding through to confirm that I had guessed it right, all along wincing at the language.
on 27 December 2012
Chris Barry, the vigilante who made his fortune in IT, continues to dabble in other matters involving IT and criminal law. This time, he acts on a quasi-official police basis and bends the law to employ his IT skills to find out who is perpetrating a fast-occuring series of sex murders baffling Montreal's finest. Maybe I am a bit dim, but (unlike other reviewers) I did not guess who did it. I found the denouement surprising and ingenious. Altogether, an excellent and enjoyable read.
on 20 January 2015
As usual another great story by Claude but I did guess 'who dun it' fairly early in in this . It is actually quite difficult to review this book without giving too much away and ruining it for everyone else but again enjoyable engaging characters . Getting to know Chris & Jonathan more as the series progresses .......