on 23 July 2014
I ordered this after watching the start of the Tour de France in York and realising that I know nothing of the rules, conventions or history of this sport. Also I knew it would be a light hearted look at the race and also a travel book which I like. This is a great read with humour, facts and is littered with opinions both good and not so good about our neighbours across the channel! You do not have to be a cycling fan to appreciate this book but it does help if you have been to France and have experience of a bit of French culture! However it was written some time ago so (for instance) references about the talents of Lance Armstrong are now a little out of date! I would recommend.
on 28 May 2017
What a great book.. full of hilarious moments and you can almost feel the pain at times.. it is something i would love to do but would probanly need someone to keep me sane... really well written.
on 6 January 2015
Very funny
on 2 December 2016
The Tour baffles me and it still does but that's of no consequence as Moore takes us on an I'll conceived journey of achievement and humour.

A top read.
on 9 December 2014
Cycling mad husband loved it
on 29 May 2017
good price, quick delivery and a very good read
on 23 March 2017
Great item many thanks
on 17 February 2007
I have been lucky enough to follow a few Tours in my life usually on my own and on a motorbike with very little luggage and this book reminds me of the emotions I went through on those journeys. There was none of the pain obviously, but the scenery and constant weather watching brings it all back. The villages he describes come alive for one day in the year just because this amazing event is passing through. Until you've been up Ventoux, it's hard to imagine how anyone could cycle up it after being in the saddle all day but the author's references to the late Tom Simpson was also poignant reminding us of how he died 40 years ago on that mountain. This book is funny, descriptive and a great read for anyone who is in awe of cycling as I am and for someone who has never really ridden a bike before, I think he did rather well. Who cares if he cheated? All he did was face the stark realisation that the men who compete in the Tour de France are totally dedicated sportsmen with a passion most of us will never know.
on 12 December 2009
I was originally going to leave a stunning review, but before I did, I thought I'd have a read of other reviews, and it didn't colour my thoughts, but it made me think a bit more clearly about the book itself.

It is a good and funny book, but please do not read it if you are interested in improving your own cycling or want to read it as some form of achievement, he does complete most of the course, but cheats, diverts and moves away from some of the discipline that the tour riders themselves can't, he uses drugs, loosely interprets the route and as a few other reviews have mentioned, the repetitiveness of the stages does wear a little

He does pick and highlight some very French habits, and intersperses some very interesting facts throughout the book, but you do end up feeling that the lack of direction in the book has led it to be part travelogue, part experience, part personal journey, part comedy effort....

If I could have, it would have got 3.5 out of 5
on 24 July 2014
I've just finished this whilst on holiday in France and watching The Tour de France on TV, and Tim Moore's book was the perfect accompaniment to all that. I much preferred French Revolutions to his later Spanish Steps - things happen faster on a bike than alongside a donkey, and the history of the Tour was (to me) much more interesting than the history of the pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela, although the annual Gallic bike ride seems to engender just as much (if not more) reverential hysteria. The usual Moore preoccupations all line up with him at the start of his one-man circuit of France (self-deprecation, being generally out of his depth, unfriendly interchanges with the natives, problems with language, equipment, accommodation and family) but what sustains him most as he covers over 3,000 km (genuinely impressive) is his trade-mark wry bemusement and deep respect for the real riders who have gone before.