Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 July 2017
what a voicenow got 4 of her cds
on 5 March 2012
Dana Fuchs will be new to many as she was to me but believe when I say you are taking no risk in buying this album.
It would be easy to dismiss Fuchs as another would be musician trading on her exceptional looks. That would be very unfair to Fuchs.
There are plethora of contemporary female blues artists emerging and Fuchs and said others bring a welcome energy and extra dimension to the genre. Love to Beg is a collection of fine songs that showcase a lady with an amazing voice, great song writing ability and a first class band to help bring it all together. The production is crisp and clean, completing a fine product.
Fuchs has strength, depth and feel to her vocal so whether belting it out or slipping into soulful tones the effect is the same; impressive. J Diamond also provides some pretty stunning riffs and solos.
The thirteen tracks are quite diverse and expansive, this is no one trick Pony. Personal favourites for me are opening title track, Faster Than We Can, Drive and the beautiful I've been Loving You Too Long.
Dana Fuchs is a major talent and I think the live environment will allow her to even more. I get to check that out when she is guest artist on Oli Brown's latest UK tour!
on 10 March 2011
The wonderful Dana Fuchs is probably still best known for her brilliant performance as (Sexy) Sadie in "Across The Universe". Which is quite a shame as her musical output definitely could deserve wider regocnition.

Like Beth Hart Dana is a true heiress of Janis Joplin. A beautiful, intense voice but also an intense presence, singing with both heart and vagina.

Her band is tight and really swinging, the soloes spot on, everything sounding live in the studio. And covering lots of styles: country rock, blues rock, metal and not least soul. And it's on the soul numbers Dana really shines, bringing tears to this old man's eyes with her fantastic cover of "I've Been Loving You Too Long".

The feel of the album reminds me of "Exile On Main St." and should really have a wide appeal to all rock-blues-soul fans.
Florida-born Dana has a strong, powerful voice but I'm afraid that I found it totally without feeling, similarly the backing is competent but sounds very dated, like 70s/80s rock (it certainly isn't blues) it is just too slick and again without any real feeling. The songs are also very average (and that's being kind), for me only `Keepsake' stood out, with its acoustic opening and more laid back feel, and while the cover of "I've been loving you too long" put all the album's original songs in the shade, I'm afraid that I didn't like Dana's strained Janis Joplin impersonation.