Customer reviews

on 20 February 2015
I have a vast collection of different artists and genres. I can appreciate music in two ways, those artists that are not exactly poets but can make great music (pop music) and those who don't make the nicest listening music, but the words are the key point of their music (Bob Dylan etc..)

Matt Berry captivates my interest because he is a music enthusiast, he clearly likes The Beatles, The Folk Music scene, and great harmonies in general. I think his eccentric voice suits the style of music he writes well, he is not afraid to mix in his own unique humour with lines such as "I don't give a damn for the cows and the sheep as they strain to excrete“ and random topics such as a badgers funeral. I don't pretend to take his lyrics seriously, but I like him for the first reason, it is great music that suits his style and it is enjoyable to listen to.

Not such as fan of his follow up Kill The Wolf, however, so I will wait and see if he can make another album that matches up to this one again, or this is just a one off.

Nonetheless, it is a great album with great music, creativity that matches his own style, humour and voice. Pop/Folk enthusiasts, definitely give it a listen!
HALL OF FAMETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 February 2012
I had no idea what was coming when I ordered this. I had never really heard of Matt Berry before, and from the cover art and the title of the album and some of the tracks I was expecting a slice of modern Folk revival, probably in the same vein as Chris Wood. The album arrived and upon closer inspection the artwork reveals itself to not be what it seems, and the first clues that I was in for something different presented themselves. Then I put in the CD player, and I have to say I was captivated.

My Girlfriend, a lot more in tune with popular culture than I am, instantly said `Oh, that's Matt Berry. He was in the Mighty Boosh'. And all suddenly became clear. This is music from someone with an anarchic, surreal sense of humour. The humour is exceedingly restrained, the music is first and foremost. But knowing about it is crucial to `getting' the music.

The music is excellent. Clearly influenced by the likes of Caravan and the prog folk rock movement of the early seventies. Berry serves up many traditional themes and forms, those old fashioned wistful ballads and celebrations of the rural life, but with a side order of prog rock and a streak of slightly (but not totally) tongue in cheek humour. He's not taking the mick, just giving a nod and a wink to let us know that he can see the funny side. It's a great blend, and what we get is an album of excellent music that uplifts and puts a smile on the face. There is even a decent cameo from Paul McCartney.

An excellent album, one that I really enjoyed and will listen to regularly. 5 stars, and I look forward to more from Matt Berry in the future.
on 13 April 2012
Hello everyone. I am buying this because I like ducks and it appears that the hairy man in the picture is holding a duck and preparing to make love to it. Please let me know if there are any songs about ducks or other waterfowl on this record.

Your brother in Christ,

L. Appleton
22 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 11 March 2014
Complete shock as to how great this album is. Toe tapping, melodic and humorous, ignore Matt Berry the funny man. This album stands up on its own and is totally credible. I wonder what Clem Fandango thinks of it??
on 15 December 2017
I love this album. I get such a weirdly cozy introspective feeling when I listen to it. I could hardly believe my luck when I first listened to it, it was as if I somehow unearthed a lost Nick Drake / Incredible String Band / Donovan / Syd Barrett album that had somehow escaped my noticed up until now. I highly recommend it to any listeners who appreciate British psychedelic folk music. We love you Matt Berry, please play some live shows in London, we're there often but we keep missing you!
on 9 March 2011
Wow its finally here and its a beautiful, genius, gentle album. Soft soothing Acid sounds mixed with tender vocals and a whole range of instruments from the gentle to the blistering guitar solos of Andy Vickery, Dave Hamer & Jolyon Meredith. Beautiful Wind Intruments too. And the Distinguished mellow sounds of the voice of Matt Berry.

Inlay "This album was recorded between 2009 and 2010 on Jacobs Island, Shad Thames, London"

Matt Berry : Acoutstic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Ukulele, Bass Guitar, Piano, Electric Piano, Electric Organ, Pipe Organ, Accordion, Melotron, Arp Odyssey Synthesiser, Korg MS20, Synthesiser, Korg MS 2000b Synthesiser/Vocoder, Glockenspiel, Assorted Percussion and Dinner Bell.

Cecilia Fage : Vocal and harmony arrangements, Clarinet, Recorder and Owl Sounds

James Stapleton : Drums and Percussion

What more can I say I love this album, it has an otherworldy quality, yet is easy listening. Genius!
on 15 May 2014
I really enjoy Matt Berry as a an actor/comedian but I think I like him better as a musician. I'm not sure whether I should take some of the lyrics with a pinch of salt, but the music is good that it doesn't really matter. I can't really single out any one song as I always hear the the CD as a whole "thing". It seems to work better that way. Brilliant.
on 7 April 2011
A beautiful sunny spring day,the ideal conditions to discover Matt Berry's glorious new cd. In one word,Magical!!! Good day sir! ...I said,GOOD DAY SIR!!!
11 Comment| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 May 2012
I've been a fan of Matt Berry since I first encountered him in the Mighty Boosh... then came Snuff Box - one of the best (and strangest) comedy series ever made in the UK. I was aware that Matt was a musician as he wrote the music for Snuff Box (and I loved the title track).. I had heard a couple of tracks from this album (his first, Opium, passed e by) and loved them. In short, the album is great. There's a very English tone to the proceedings and some of the influences are clear... Witchazel is an original and beautiful record. I hope Matt decides to give us a third album....
on 18 April 2011
This album really is a work of art. As Matt Berry's side project from being hilarious, one doesn't get the sense of any commercial aspirations here, just a garden shed project.

There are some lovely sounds on this album, Berry carefully crafts and coaxes the simplest of ideas into big sounding, nostalgia inducing tunes. The Pheasant is a definite favourite, with little references to Genesis' Selling England by the Pound and Pink Floyd's Animals whilst the song remains far more humble than some of the 70s prog albums' overblown pretensions. Witchazel features a slightly tongue in cheek set of lyrics which recall some of the best in 60s psychedelia without mocking it at all, and includes a very funny Paul McCartney guest spot (how did Berry wangle that one?!)

The Observer gave this album an average review, saying it fails to enchant or amuse. This strikes me as the opinion of someone who just doesn't "get it" -: if I had to pick two words to some up this album, they would be "amusing" and "enchanting"