on 23 December 2012
I'm not going to go into the story, this is the third in the series, if you have just stumbled on this book make sure you read them in order.

I only discovered the writing of Michael Hicks 3-4 months ago, in that time I have read the first contact and redemption series of books and have thoroughly enjoyed them.

The story of the Kreelans and their fight with humans is a great story, it contains superb characters that you really find you get to know, so much so that you end up worrying about what might happen to them. Reza, Jodi, Nicole, plus Tesh Da were great characters, as was Reza's Kreelans love the empress.

I have already purchased the next book about the Kreelans that concentrates on the First Empress, can't wait to read it.

Another reviewer commented that this series of books could easily be made into a film, I agree, think it would be as compulsive viewing as it was reading.

Thanks to Mr Hicks for producing a series of books that have really captivated my imagination, just brilliant.
on 2 January 2016
very good read
on 23 August 2015
Good books. Well worth reading. However I found the human elements of the story more enjoyable than the alien parts. What can I say, I'm a humanist
on 17 June 2017
Disappointing
on 25 May 2015
Compulsive reading!
on 20 February 2013
The entire series has had various twist and turns and new characters emerging keep the interest going. The book is not really stand alone so reading book 1 & 2 is almost a prerequisite.
on 20 March 2014
I've read the previous 5 books and was enthralled from page one or book one! I assume if you're thinking about reading this, then you too have also read the other books (because it'd be a bit strage starting at then end). The characters are true to form, the good ones stay good and the baddies stay really evil. I reckon these could be made into a film really easily, not that I'd need to watch it as I pictured everything clearly in my head anyway, but I would watch it nevertheless. N.B. (1): Mr Hicks - see me re. casting suggestions. Great finale to a wonderfully written and beleivable future world. I'm going to read the prequel next and N.B. (2): Mr Hicks - we're missing 100 years in between the two trilogies, what happened then? Did Steph have a child, was that child special because of her father's status within the Kreelan community, loads of possible storylines for Earth Vs Kreelan (The Missing Years). Let me know when they're sorted - cheers.
on 10 March 2013
I used to be a voracious Sci-Fi reader in my younger days but lost interest in later years as the stories became similar and the quality of newer stuff seemed poor compared to Asimov, Heinlein, Clark, etc. I eventually stopped reading anything but the days newspaper. Recently, having acquired a smart phone with Kindle capability, I tried a few freebie online books just to see what was out there but didn't find anything particularly special. And then I stumbled on the In Her Name books by Michael R Hicks. I read First Contact first, enjoyed it immensely and immediately bought the other two in The Last War trilogy. I devoured them quickly and realised that these books had reignited my voracious appetite for great science fiction and trust me, this is great science fiction! I subsequently devoured the Redemption trilogy which I also enjoyed immensely. I have now purchased the first two books in the First Empress trilogy and can't wait to get stuck in. All of these books are brilliant but be warned, as one of the other reviewers has already said, once you read one you will not be satisfied until you have read them all! Thank You Mr. Hicks for restoring my love of science fiction and enjoyment of a great read.

Buy the whole trilogy in one volume - Redemption - you will read all three anyway!
on 1 June 2012
I gave the first two books in the In Her Name series four out of five stars because I wasn't quite sure what to think. I enjoyed the stories immensely. They were epic in many ways and well written, yet I couldn't decide what I thought about the series in its entirety.

Book three, In Her Name: Final Battle, sealed the deal. Hicks brought everything together neatly. Though there wasn't as much action as in the other two, the political intrigues really pulled the story together. I took my time reading the previous two but I didn't have that option this time. I finished it in two days. Here's a big sorry to my family! I couldn't pull my nose from my Kindle the whole time.

The two protagonists finagled their way into positions of power and use that power to bring Reza Gard and the Kreelan Empire to their knees. Gard's friends, both known and unknown, fight to make things right but fear for their lives, and for good reason.

Things don't end the way the reader expects, or the characters for that matter. We're left hanging until almost the very end when everything comes together in a meaningful and epic ending, a perfect way to bring the In Her Name story to an end.

I'm all about the baseball metaphors, and Hicks hit the ball out of the park with his first series.
on 1 September 2014
I didn't finish this one and will struggle, really disappointed after the first series and book 5 in the series that I really enjoyed. Why did I stop? Well of all of the huge number of marines (Millions?) that could have followed the stricken alien life boat containing the lead characters (Reza) alien wife of its Reza's best friend. Sorry but too much co-incidence, and a lazy plot, shame really as I thought the series had real potential.