Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 August 2014
Bought with 'Another Black & White Minstrels Show. Very pleased with both. Wonderful collection of old time songs, beautiful singing, songs to cheer.
on 25 April 2013
If you recall an age when it was the music and not the politics that mattered then you will enjoy once again the wonderful songs of the Black and White Minstrels.
on 27 March 2014
More than likely buy again in the very near future if I see some more great music that I like
on 29 December 2011
When I received this CD, I immediately transferred the tracks onto my MP3 player because I was going out for a walk and wanted to listen to them. What terrible sound quality, all the more exagerated through headphones. I thought that there must have been some sort of problem with the CD ripping process so listened to the CD itself when I got back home only to find the same bad quality sound. Anyone buying this CD should be made aware that it's for historical interest only and not much good for a nice relaxed listening session!
on 18 February 2011
Putting aside the arguments over the political incorrectness of the shows, as recorded music the Minstrel's albums were full of polished performances and superb arrangements. They may appeal to only a certain section of the public today, but it must be remembered that in the first half of the 1960s they featured in the album charts, including at times the number one spot, holding their own against musical soundtracks and the dominance of the rock and pop of the era.

At first sight, this CD appeared to be a welcome re-release of their first album in the original format, possibly heralding the release of all of them in due course. The Disky compilations of a few years ago were welcome, despite their lack of information and mistakes in the listing and spelling of the tracks. But being different compilations they didn't quite seem like the real thing to anyone familiar with the LPs.

However, what a disappointment! No information beyond a list of song titles, therefore no composer or soloist credits, let alone any historical and factual notes. But then these deficiencies pale when the CD is played! It is an actual recording of a vinyl record, and a mono one at that, with poor sound, background crackle, and all the usual clicks and pops. Nothing of this is mentioned in the publicity; I have actually seen it called a "digital remastering". Is this fraud? At least the Disky CDs were stereo and seemed to be taken direct from the master tapes.

Is anyone (perhaps EMI themselves) going to bite the bullet and produce a full set of these albums in their original formats with proper credits and notes, decently remastered, perhaps all in one box? Or do the political correctness problems mean that this can never be, so justice will never be done to this otherwise first class legacy?
Why do they do this? Having read the other review I had to hear this CD for myself. I agree and it is not worth buying. I would urge caution whenever you see this label which is a pity because many of the LPs released on CD by them have been long awaited and so it is even more of a disappointment when such poor results are heard. Hallmark please take note.
on 2 August 2012
I agree with every review here. I have several of the newly released Hallmark cd's and to be honest could not see what all the fuss was about - until today. I am not always close to my player when listening to music but today I was and I heard the surface noise and pops and crackles in between tracks and also on quieter passages of the music.
Hallmark used to be a reputable company, I can make better vinyl to cd copies myself, they really do not deserve to be in the business if they can't improve their standards.
on 8 January 2013
A very good mix of songs and melodies to bring back those lovely memories of the old days of when I was around 7 years old.
on 4 June 2013
brought back memories of the old time TV shows of old how i wish that they could be repeated on the TV.
on 6 February 2015
Love it, arrived safe, just what I was looking for. Will be using seller again.