on 28 September 2009
This is a fantastic read for anyone who wants to learn some of the techniques used by the top MBA thinkers. Nicholas Bate has put together 52 bite size chapters that point you in the right direction if you are trying to develop yourself but can't afford the investment or the time for a full blown MBA.

Each chapter is independant, so you don't need to do what I did, and read the whole thing from start to finish - you can dip into a subject that you feel you need to learn more about like 'the value chain' or 'how to create a personal development plan'.

The book is also peppered with great advice from thought leaders like Gary Hamel and Daniel Goleman - along with information on what Bates calls the 'New World of Work drivers' which provide excellent insight into a changing business environment.

Nicholas Bates has an engaging and thoughful writing style (also at his Blog) which is straightforward and easy to digest.

Highly recommended business read.
on 27 January 2017
This is a must read in MBA candidates or the ones who want to know about business and management.
The book is practical and doesn't use buzz words like most academic books does... actually I read it 3 times and I keep it close as reference.
The author briefly describe the most known ideas and gurus in business management then he go through several best practice and stuff that need to be known before starting a business. the book provide interesting arguments about the cost of an MBA.
on 31 December 2015
Good book...lots of information..
on 4 October 2009
Whether you've ever thought of doing an MBA or not, this is a crucial business book to develop your thinking and career.

Nicholas Bate's energetic writing style keeps you engaged and enthused through the 52 chapters - which I found could be read independently with just as much value. The book is a condensed (but not superficial) analysis of the key concepts covered in an MBA and how you can use this information to develop yourself, your career and your business. Packed full of 'go dos' (that you'll actually want to go do!) and exercises to make you think this is a manual you'll come back to as a great reference point and way to shake your thinking up when revisiting.

A worthwhile investment of your time if you don't have the money/time/desire to do an MBA and a great read to gain insight into all areas of business, I've already recommended this several times over. It's a great compliment to Bate's other books and just as engaging and powerful.
on 26 February 2011
I have read many business books and I had expected this one would be similar to previous books in that it would have lots of good ideas that I would find interesting but which I would not be able to implement because I don't run my own business and I don't have responsibility for strategy or marketing in the software consultancy firm where I work.

However, this was different. Among the many good ideas was one which really resonated with me: to think "as if" I actually did have responsibility for strategy, marketing, etc.

I took up this idea with enthusiasm and wrote a strategy paper on how to present our firm differently to customers to really demonstrate the *value* we bring so that customers don't just focus on the day rate that we charge.

I sent this paper out to all the firm's directors 3 days ago. All the responses I have received have been really positive and we are now discussing tasks and timescales for implementing this strategy.

Whatever happens, I know that I will be viewed differently from now on.

The ideas that I put into the strategy paper have been gestating within me for some time, but I really think that I would not have done anything about them if I had not been inspired - yes, inspired - into action by this book.

And that I guess is the largest single difference between Instant MBA and other business books I have read: only Instant MBA exhorted me to do something NOW, regardless of my actual responsibilities.
22 Comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 December 2010
A real bestseller! Top tips given in a simple interesting way.. what you can need more to enjoy the book! Recommend to those who is thinking of doing MBA.
on 26 December 2012
I love reading books about management and this was was full of common sense. It had plenty of activities to do yourself or with your team. Like with any book aimed at teaching skills it is only useful if you act on what you read. It is an excellent taster to see if studying for an MBA is for you if you need the piece of paper to say you have studied. If, on the other hand you are more interest in acquiring skills this gives you plenty to get your teeth into and refers to real businesses to get the point across. Use it whilst you are studying your MBA to make things clearer. It really does get you thinking critically and questioning your approaches, your teams approaches and the approaches of different businesses.
on 27 December 2011
Think MBA as "Mastery of Brilliant Application" and that's what this book will help you achieve. It's packed with positively practical, really relevant and easy to read ideas to help you be better yourself and do business better. It's no nonsense approach encourages ongoing self-development and can be picked up and read in chunks, again and again.
Highly inspirational and much better value than a real MBA.
on 11 November 2012
This book is a good investment of your time. Of course there are the usual caveats that most people will not be able to act at the 'god-like ' level of the MBA perspective in their organisation. However, wherever we are operating an appreciation of the whole organisation's mission is important. If you know that you contribute to profitability or to the success of the mission, or that you constitute overhead to the business you will act in a more organisationally aware way and you will perform better and be better regarded because of that. You will be the individual who appreciates how your role helps get the sale or maintain the cost level at a competitive status or deliver the operational excellence that your organisation requires to maintain competitive edge. You will be energised and coherent in your daily work and that will increase your contribution and give you a personal edge. After all how many people just turn up each day and do a job and practice 'living for the weekend..?' Bit of a waste of a lot of your life and a vote for a prime place in the next downsize as well as being downright dispiriting. Read the book one chapter at a time and use the ideas to try a few new things in your work life - it might set you on a different road! Cheers!
on 11 March 2013
This book is a great read, very thought stimulating. I was not expecting it to be very relevant to our small family business but it really was. A fresh look at how we price our products, thinking through our unique selling points, are some of our customers actually liabilities? it turned out they were!
This book will be a real help in increasing our profitability.