on 18 January 2014
I purchased this suitcase a few weeks ago, but waited to write a review until after I returned from holiday when I would be using this suitcase. I must say I am very impressed with this product and after completing a long haul flight I have no complaints about it at all, in fact to the contrary, the wheels all behaved in the proper way, and even though the case was completely full, there was no problem with the way the wheels worked and let me push the case in all directions. Unfortunately it did get marked, but this was no fault of the manufacturers, but the baggage handlers. I would have no hesitation in recommending this product.
11 Comment| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 May 2014
Like a previous reviewer, we used these cases for cruise holiday. They were wonderful. Light, solid, spacious and could be seen from space not to mention at luggage retrieval. They were delivered within 5 days of ordering from Germany and the company must have taken on-board the complaints about the lock setting instructions being in German because there is now an English translation. All in all they more than justify the 5 star rating. The almost identical items are available at M and S but for £80 extra!
on 3 April 2013
Both suitcases arrived in the same box one apple green gloss the other gloss yellow,very fast delivery, these cases are german made they seem to be very well made with four wheels on each courner of the case two grab handles one at the top and one on the side and four studs on the opposite side for resting on the floor, the extendable handle its in the top of the case and it is easy to push or pull, inside the case is lined with one zipped compartment which is netting type material that also has two plastic push fit clips to seperate your clothes etc, in the top section of the case is a holding strap with two plastic clips to hold the top section of clothing etc. The built in combination lock is easy to set to your own combination. i translated with the help of google set the no's to 0 all three then you neen a small phillips screwdriver and push it gently into the right hand hole opposite the no's untill you hear a click choose your nos for the combination then gently push the screwdriver into the left hole untill you hear a click the no's should now be set try it out. I will let you know how the case holds up to an airport battering when we come back from summer holiday.
on 4 January 2016
When the package arrived I had high hopes - these looked swish and had some positive reviews. The suitcases looked better than the pictures and on my wooden floor, they glided nicely. The suitcases were ideal size and one was impressed when filling them for my holiday at how spacious they were. And that is where it all ended. In reality, they do not manoeuvre well at all. The large case seemed to have a mind of its own and it was a strain to guide this with the handle, which seemed too flimsy for the case. The handles kept retracting which I found most annoying but this may be a common problem!? The main issue I had was with the locks. I was using the small case like a safe - to keep my money, passports, tablets and photography equipment in. When I tried to open it one evening, the lock would not open. After a long while of attempting to access the case, I left it and returned to open it after dinner. It finally unlocked but left me somewhat dubious of it's suitability. Then, on the morning of departure, the large case refused to open. Being half packed, there was no way everything would have fitted into the small case and whilst I did try, my efforts were in vain. So what to do? 2 hours till checkout and no case?! So, with a pair of tweezers, I managed to unhook one zip (with minimal effort) which meant that I could unzip the case sufficient enough for me to push some clothes through. By no means adequate but it served the purpose. I had to buy a padlock at the hotel shop so that I could secure the case. Once back in the UK, I went to wheel my suitcase on 2 wheels and found it to be dragging, I looked at the bottom and was shocked to see that one wheel and been clean ripped out, rivet and all. The quality of these cases is shockingly poor, particularly for the price that you pay. I spoke with Amazon who have been, as always, great with dealing with this and have issued a refund. This case caused unnecessary stress and is really not fit for purpose - it did not even survive it's maiden voyage. I would avoid this product!!
review image review image
on 12 April 2017
I don't usually write reviews but I feel that I should share my experience with this case. the first time I used it the lock seized, not a great problem as I don't usually lock my case.

The second time I used it the telescopic handle snapped while lifting it up a kerb, spent the rest of the time pushing it with my back at 90 degrees.

My main concern is although the handle is supposed to be under guarantee for two years HAUPTSTADTKOFFER would not honour it stating that only 2015 models were guaranteed, The purchase was in Nov 2014, handle snapped Oct 2016. I could pay 24 euros for a replacement.

I have decided to put the 24 euros towards a better make.
review image
on 12 February 2015
Very good. Not as sturdy as perhaps hoped but did a great job of a recent trip to Mexico via London. So four flights in all and it came in especially handy in the madness of Cancun airport. Being able to see your case from 100 yards to where it's been randomly stacked probably saved hours.

As soon as it hits the baggage carousel you can immediately sit back and adopt a chilled nonchalance whilst everyone else is on point looking to fight over cases. There's no mistaking this case.

Also the wheels have amazing action on them. I enjoyed just rolling it around. It goes for miles with a gentle push.

The key-lock thing wasn't nearly as complicated as feared either.

The case will scuff up pretty bad but that's to be expected and indeed it's nice to see a case that has clearly been somewhere.

Great and good value.
on 10 November 2014
I bought these suitcases 5 months ago and I used the big one 3 times (from my house to a taxi, to an aiport, no walking in the streets!). The wheels have now melted and they are not usable anymore. Total waste of money.
on 8 June 2016
Bought these cases and at first was very happy with them. They look smart and really stand out on the baggage carousel.

However, following a recent trip one of the wheels broke, so I emailed the company for a warranty fix. I bought the cases on 31/5/14 and they weren't delivered until the 6/6/14 with a 2 year warranty. I sent the request in on 1/6/16, I hadn't got the cases until 6/6/14, so all should be fine, you'd think? Not for HAUPTSTADTKOFFER. 'Rules are Rules' and warranty was 2 years from the invoice date, so I had to pay for a replacement!

Apparently the neither the words 'Goodwill' or 'Reputation' matter to this firm.
on 18 July 2016
These are great cases. Very good design features. Survived trip with nothing more than a couple of very light scratches. They do come with a protective shipping film on as some other reviews have mentioned. I would have left it on but other members of family couldn't resist peeling it :(

The 4 wheel setup makes them extremely easy to pull and very stable. Having a built in lock is also a blessing. No more hunting for the padlocks and keys from the previous holiday.
on 24 April 2017
Arrived much sooner than expected, which was a pleasant surprise.

As others have reported, it comes wrapped in film, to protect it during transit, but I found this to be a doddle to remove.

The Forest Green colour is really nice andit seems to have been well put together, to boot.

It isn't quite as big as indicated; the overall dimensions, including wheels and handles being given, and looses about 5cm / 2 inches in lenght and 1cm, or a little under1/2 inch in width, when measured internally. Approximately 2cm of internal depth is lost to the aluminium tubes and plastic fittings for the extendable handle.

I've actually fitted it out as a camera case, rather than usinging it as a suitcase, and have had no problems with the extendable handle sticking, whilst it seemst to wheel around quite well, with the heavier items at the bottom of the vertical case.

Whilst the, non-TSA, combination lock appears quite adequate for an item which, in theory, you won't be checking in and will keep with you at all times, I will admit to having purchased a TSA lock separately, and retro-fitting it, just because I'd rather have something airport security can open without damaging if they want to.

I've recently also bought a Samsonite case, as a true cabin bag, which is wonderful, but which is actually less pratctical than the Alex, due to the curved lines, and the not inconsiderable amount of space taken up by inset handles and locks.