Customer reviews

Original Spider-Man - Season 1 - 3 Complete Box Set [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change
Price:£137.55+ £1.26 shipping

on 8 November 2013
A true 1960s classic. They just don't make cartoons like this anymore. Worth every penny that I paid. Absolutely Fantastic.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 March 2011
There's nothing really to say other than brilliant. The original series from the 60s, this is just fan-flipping-tastic. And £25 for 17 HOURS of Spidey action?! Amazing.
on 2 July 2011
This is an excellent box set. It evokes good childhood memories of rushing home after school to watch the unseen exciting episodes with my younger brother! Worth the money - 5 stars!
on 22 September 2011
Let me state here and now that I absolutely loved Spider-Man as a kid and still have a real fondness for him at age 44. Always my favourite Marvel superhero. I loved his vulnerability and the fact that Peter Parker struggled with the responsiblity his powers brought him. My brother was into the Fantastic Four and The Hulk and whilst I took an interest in the whole "Marvel Universe", the Spider-Man stories captivated me the most.
I was thrilled therefore to find that I could finally get the original cartoon series in a box set and relive those after school memories with the old "webslinger" and perhaps a bag of penny sweets. Oh dear, it is so much easier as a child to suspend disbelief isn't it? The passage of time has made me see that some of the animation techniques and production values of this series were pretty poor.
Don't get me wrong, it's great to see all those old villains and characters again but there are many episodes here that are best described as being thrown together. I understand that budgets were reduced after Series 1 and it shows. Endless use of stock footage to pad out the story, of Spidey swinging round the rooftops plonked onto any kind of background. This really does get tedious after a while and so do the garish colours of the poorly drawn backgrounds in use by Series 2. The production team also re-used footage from their earlier effort "Rocket Robin Hood" too, in some cases almost entire episodes.
There are some really strange animation sequences used such as when Spidey is supposedly "creeping up" on someone. He looks really bizarre and it had me crying with laughter. Some of the fight sequences and sound effects look as if they used ideas they saw on "Scooby Doo". Check out the really bad mistake on the title sequence too with the "Jewlery" store sign. Tee Hee! I never noticed that 35 years ago! That said, I am still glad I purchased this, anything that brings back a bit of my childhood once in a while is well worth it. Just don't watch too many in one sitting is my advice. Otherwise you may find yourself picking fault every few minutes and wanting to throw the remote at the screen when you see your "Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man" swinging round the Brooklyn Bridge for the 20th time!
33 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 December 2015
it would have been better to add ENGLISH SUBTITLES so some more people from Italy, Spain, Greece and many more countries could enjoy it!!!
pLEASE Re-Press it WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLES!!!
on 5 April 2012
Languages (all three seasons) English - Dolby Digital (2.0) Stereo

Subtitles Season 1: German ; Dutch ; Swedish ; Norwegian ; Danish ; Finnish. Seasons 2 & 3: German ; Dutch
on 15 August 2011
Loved these as a pup -
Nobody ever forgot the theme tOOn!!!

Watching them now in my 40's I am pleased to say that they hold up very well.

52 episodes & 17+ hrs is a lot of viewing to digest of this sort of thing, but space them out a bit and they are highly entertaing & great fun.

I've chuckled a lot at the villians who are all DASTARDLY EVIL meglomaniacs!!!

It's cool to see how they are portrayed relatively close to their early appearances in the Amazing Spider-Man comics.

Lizard, mysterio etc etc they are all here.

They are an aside to Spideys comic book greatness but no surprise there bearing in mind the target audience.

The soundtrack is fab and J.J is as hilarious as ever.

Transfers and the presentation of the box are spot on.

(I'd have liked a making of featurette - but, hey-ho)

This is a real treat for any nostalgic Marvelite and Spidey fan.

5/5

May I also I HIGHLY recommend the 'Spider-Man : Reflections of a super hero' cd which is a reissue of a 70's album.
Equally as fun & cheap!
on 22 August 2011
All of the Original 1960's episodes in 1 place. Meet Vulture, Dr Octopus & all the villians in the original Spiderman comics.
Fun to watch for those who remember it fondly & for those who have never seen it before. Suitable for young & old. You'll be singing along to that catchy 1960's theme song in no time...
on 27 September 2012
Wow, this takes me back! A great set that has been very hard to find, for me. A similar region 1 release has been out of print for some time, and worth quite a bit of money now. I am SO glad I found this on the UK site, for a decent price. Comes nicely packaged, with great artwork on the discs and box. A pity it didn't come with English subtitles too, but. I am just glad to have this set, really fantastic animation and music! Ahhh.. memories. :-)
on 25 November 2013
I remember watching these during the school summer holidays in the late 70s and early 80s.

The story lines and animation have stood the test of time, and kids brought up in the 'Manga' art generation will not be disapointed.

All the usual villans and charachters are here.

I absolutely love this box set, at the age of 42 !