Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

I had never heard of Harlen Coben until this book was recommended to my by the Amazon "I will sell you stuff" recommendation system. What I found was a well written, entertaining, riviting and thoroughly gripping book. Now that's high praise from me as I'm not a big fan of crime fiction, but I really enjoyed the structure of the book. It may be that I'm new to Coben's style of writing but I liked the way that multiple interlocking story lines were played out in real time in the book and I liked the characterisation that he gave to the characters. I had worked out quite a few of the plot lines before they were laid out bare for us, but that doesn't destract from the quality of the story telling (surely the author should scatter clues throughout the novel and if you pick enough of them up then you should be able to work out where the plat is going). There we several twists in the story and a breathless finish....
Now that I have discovered Coben, unfortuanately for my bank balance, I am going to have to get some more!
I really enjoyed this 9/10
on 12 April 2005
I have read all of Harlen Coben novels starting of with "Tell No One" which was one of the best books ive read ever. I was hoping this book would carry off in a similar vane and it didnt disappoint at all. An absolutely absorbing read from start to finish. The characters are so well defined and the story telling is masterful. Get it immediately. You will not be disappointed. Coben deserves every accolade that has been bestowed upon him and more!!!
on 10 February 2006
I think that it is safe to say that Harlan Coben is one of the best suspense writers of our time, and obviously as a winner of the Edgar, Shamus and Anthony awards I am not the only one who thinks so. In his latest novel `THE INNOCENT' we are introduced to Matthew Hunter a man who, because of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, spent four years of his life in a maximum-security prison for murder. Nine years later he is happily married to a beautiful woman named Olivia and they are expecting their first child. Finally Matt is beginning to let go of his past and look forward to his future with Olivia until he receives pictures on his camera phone that are meant to lead him to believe that his wife is having an affair. But as we know with any book written by Coben things aren't always what they seem. As Matt searches for clues as to why these pictures of his wife in a hotel room with another man were sent to him his life begins to spiral out of control and his past mistakes as well as the mistakes of others come back to haunt him. Because once you are an ex-con no one ever looks at you the same and as the body count begins to rise all suspicions are directed toward one Matthew Hunter.
`THE INNOCENT' is non-stop action and will have you turning the pages so quickly your fingers will burn. Every character is strong and well developed and the story is thoroughly engrossing. So you may be wondering why with all of this high praise did I only give it 4 stars? Well, while I knew to expect Coben's signature twist at the end, I thought that maybe there was just one twist to many in this ending. Just as in Coben's previous thriller `JUST ONE LOOK' I thought that the ending got a little complicated, but overall I loved this book just as I do all books Harlan Coben. I am sure that you will not be disappointed with this latest by Coben whether you are a long time fan or a first time reader, 4 ½ stars!
on 31 January 2006
As with all the Harlen Coben's books I have read, this was fantastic. I finished it in one sitting, I really just couldn't put it down. There are so many twists and turns that leave you guessing right until the very end.
Brilliant!
on 24 May 2006
Matt Hunter went to prison nine years ago after a brawl at a frat party that went bad. Now an ex-con, he lives in New Jersey with his newly pregnant wife. After she leaves on a short business trip, he gets a call on his cell phone from his wife. It's a picture of a man waving at him. Then a minute later, he receives another call. This time, it's video footage of a woman who looks like his wife in a blonde wig sitting on a hotel bed. Is his wife cheating on him? She won't return his calls, and then he notices someone is following him. Thus begins an outstanding thriller. It's fast pace never lets up, and the reader is always caught off guard. Revelation after revelation and you're still stunned. But, as with all Harlan Coben thrillers, it all fits nicely into place in the end. This is truly one of the best thrillers I've read. It's right up there with my favorite thriller of all: Coben's "Tell No One." Highly recommended!
on 14 January 2016
I often read books by first time authors, part time authors or other free or nearly free books on my Kindle, interspersed with other stuff. I'd downloaded this book as one of a few at the same time and just started reading it when I finished the last one. I didn't clock that it was a Harlan Coben at first, thinking it was one of my speculative books.

Of course I was hooked very quickly and it struck me how well the story was constructed. As the plot thickened, the various strands started to come into focus and slowly but surely started to intertwine. The characters were interesting and I became hooked on them as well. Even the lesser players were sharply defined and realistic characters. Eventually I did go back to my Kindle's menu and noticed the author. That was my little mystery solved. Of course it was a Coben book!

I'm not going to say anything more really about this book. Harlan Coben's books get more reviews than a new Beatles album would, so there's enough to go at there. All I'll say is that in every respect, it's up to his usual exemplary standards.
on 16 March 2006
I've been a fan of Harlan Coben's books ever since reading 'Tell No One' several years ago, and they always prove to be a good read with a good deal of suspense (albeit not exactly literary masterpieces). However its fair to say that, to a large extent, he's been treading the old 'missing person/not who they seemed to be' routine for most of his subsequent books (perhaps trying to live up to the aforementioned 'tell no one' which was indeed gripping). This one is a little different, as it's more about unraveling a plot against the lead characters. I always enjoy his books, as I say, and would recommend this one, but it's more light reading/ filling in time in the airport etc rather than sitting down to read an amazing book, hence the three stars.
on 25 October 2005
As a fan of Rankin and having tired of James Patterson I first read Tell No One a true belter which whilst this latest is written in a very similar fashion is still as gripping. Prolific as Harlan Coben is it's proving a problem when his books encourage you to read the whole thing in 1 sitting. The chapters and in this one stories told from different characters are written in just large enough bites to keep you "just" reading the next one.
Although I enjoyed the Myron Bolitar series these stand alone books show that Coben has much more in his arsenal than Patterson's Alex Cross. If you haven't read any of Coben's books you are in for a treat as after reading this you are going to be able and want to explore an impressive back catalogue.
on 20 November 2007
A scary rollercoaster of a book, dont start this until you have a day or so spare as everything else is put on the back burner. Your never quite sure what is going to happen next, the book is so fast and I didnt guess the ending. My first Harlan Coben book but certainly not the last.
on 6 January 2016
Absolutely brilliant, think this has to be one of the best books Harlan Coben has ever written. From start to finish the story just kept you gripped, just when you got over one surprise another one came along, really could not put it down. Don't think l ever read a book that had so many plots and sub-plots and also a great ending. Think after this offering Harlan Coben is up there with the very best.