on 30 October 2011
I bought this hood for my Nikon lense 18mm - 55mm.
It is on of the worst products that I have ever bought in my entire life. When you attach the hood on the lense even though it looks perfect in the begining you will notice that when you focus (in most cases) you will have a shadow on the top left and bottom left corner. As a result you have to screw or unscrew ,a little bit, the hood every single time that you wish to focus!
As this is not possible, the product is totally useless.
0Comment| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 November 2012
I have four Nikon lenses and three of them came with good 'reversable' hoods that clip to the exterior of the lens casing. These are all wide enough to avoid vignetting and, importantly, the lens cover can be fitted 'inside' the hood when the latter is in position. Moreover the camera is unlikely to be damaged if the hood is 'knocked'. Unfortunately none of this can be said of this 'flower petal lens hood'.

This hood screws onto the thread for lens filters and so can be fitted to the huge number of lenses (many of old design) that do not have 'dedicated' hood mounts. Why the 18- 55 'kit' lens should be one of those is beyond me- it must be the most commonplace of all Nikon lenses.

The hood usually screws on ok, but if I tighten the locking ring it can be fiddly and difficult to remove: for obvious reasons I do not like to 'force' plastic threads. To my mind these threads are only suitable for (and usually only designed for) fitting filters and I'd rather they do not appear on cameras at all. Most plastic threads tend to 'bind' and the material expands in an irregular fashion when warm, attached items thus becoming hard to remove. Metal expands as well- but it is much less likely to cause damage. Moreover If the hood takes a knock that could damage the plastic thread and thus ruin the lens.

Since the thing cannot be reversed when not in use you are obliged to stow it in a pocket before the camera can be placed in its case, which is a nuisance. Frankly I'm reluctant to fit this hood at all.
on 13 March 2014
I am delighted with this accessory, which I thought was just that...a fancy gizmo to make my camera look professional. It is, in fact a well made, useful piece of equipment which is used by pros.
on 5 July 2013
I bought this flower petal lens for my nikon d40 and it is fine. I am glad that i have bought it for a better quality photos.
on 22 August 2011
I bought this lens hood to use with the nikon 18-55 kit lens. It screws onto the front of the lens or it will screw into a filter and has a locking ring which helps to place the petals precisely. And therein lies the problem with this hood... it has to be placed precisely. The rim where it attaches to the lens is deepset and if used with a UV filter it prodoces a vignetting ring around the whole of the image when lens is set wide. Also the lens turns when focusing and this causes more problems if the top/bottom petals rotate to far. I dont intend to use this item much.
11 Comment| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 22 August 2011
Fitted to my Nikon D5100 - simple cheap and effective.

Not much else to add - if you want one this is as good as any in this price range.
on 31 October 2011
This lens hood is plastic and a little thicker and deeper than I expected. It also screws into the 52mm filter ring of the lens which means it can turn when focusing (especially if using manual focus) and subsequently appear in shot. The trick is to leave it a little loose until focus is achieved and then tighten in the correct position with the knurled ring. Bit fiddly and can sometimes stick - don't use force! If using a filter, the hood screws onto that instead but this deepens the hooding effect and can cause vignetting at wide angle setting. It's OK when you get it right but to me the product seems a little tacky.
on 26 September 2011
Not of much use. When used with more than 35 mm leaves a round circle in the photos. Can ideally be used for close ups - but again why you will need a hood for close ups untill and unless you are in a desert !! But at this price point it may be worth a buy for started.
on 11 February 2011
Perfect for my Nikkor 50mm/1.4 AI-S which I use with my new Nikon D3100 on manual mode. This lens hood is light, sturdy and protects the lens. Not so useful with the AF-S 18-55mm at max zoom position, as the two larger petals leave a shade on the picture.
11 Comment| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 January 2013
This Petal Lens Hood does not fit well onto my 18-55mm (52mm) lens. and has to be gently forced into place if I am to use it. I have ordered another hood to replace this after only 3 weeks.