Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now

1,401
Format: DVD|Change

on 16 March 2011
You know, in the midst of awful world events..earthquakes, tsunamis, Lybia, the recession...Scottish football...I find it very healing to turn off BBC News and sit down instead in the company of Mrs. Brown and laugh my big fat head off. Yes, it's peurile, childish and lavatorial, but it is also extremely 'feckin' funny!

As Mrs. Brown would say ...'Meh-heeeeeeeeeh!'
44 Comments| 167 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 February 2011
I had never previously heard of Brendan O'Carrol, but I leapt from ignorance to being a fan in about a minute.

Although very different from Father Ted, Mrs Brown has the same maverick, off-the -wall humour which catches you off guard.

The fact that Mrs Brown is acted by a bloke is never milked for laughs. There is absolutely no echo of the pantomime dame or even Mrs Doubtfire.

I can sum up MRS BROWN'S BOYS by using the old Irish phrase "It is all right, if you like laughing."
66 Comments| 185 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 January 2011
This is an excellent series, it has similarities with the comedy series Bread which
featured the Boswell family only this is funnier, it contains some fairly strong language so not for young kids, although it is not vulgar, for instance Mrs Brown who is a male by the way says feck a lot but this is not considered a swear word in Ireland bit similar to saying frick in England. Mrs Browns gender does not seem to matter, you just accept him as a female without really noticing, it is about a family living in Dublin where they all have issues of one kind or another and Mrs Brown is hilarious in sorting things out.I would say it is the funniest show on TV.

Hawkeye.

Forgot to mention I believe this show is filmed in front
of a live studio audience, so no canned laughter. I think this adds
to its appeal.
77 Comments| 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 March 2011
I came across Mrs Browns Boys by mistake just flicking thru` channels ...it was the best thing i ever did i have never laughed so much at a program in many years the best comedy on television...down to earth honesty in all departments..well acted by all involved...lets put it another way... if it makes my wife laugh it has to be funny ...wat ever else you do ...Watch this ..
on 6 April 2011
Well - all the other review's have summed it up - Absolutely "Fecking" brilliant ...

In the words of the great Chas Smash from Madness - "Hey you .. Don't watch that, watch this"...

I watched all the episodes on tv - and can't wait for the dvd and Series 2 ,,
on 12 April 2011
I first caught this by accident but i was out of reach of the remote, by the time i had tried to move i was laughing too much. Brendan Carrol is one of those rare genius that pop up oh too rarely, i missed parts because of the tears ( of laughter ) so the dvd is going to be so helpful. Roll on series 2-3-4 etc etc.
on 28 March 2011
Have loved this show from start to finish. I have been to see all the Mrs Brown shows at the Pavilion Theatre in Glasgow, I honestly must have missed half of the shows as I was doubled up in laughter. Brendan and Co. are the best thing the Beeb have had on in a long time, I must admit I was surprised the language has been allowed on this channel, but I'm so pleased it has!!!!
Can't wait till November when this dvd is released.
22 Comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 February 2012
Very funny series but was extremely disappointed to find no subtitles on a BBC dvd. Having lost most of my hearing due to illness some years ago I rely on subtitles to be able to follow films and TV. I don't expect them to be missing on a modern programme.
on 14 March 2011
This is by far the best comedy i have ever seen BELLY BURSTING, laugh out loud, tears of laughter, it is SOOOOOOOOOO FUNNY
on 19 March 2011
can not wait for this to come out its so hilarious but you must have a sense of humour, or some might not like the light sexual banter that goes on (ie, the big willy at the funeral wake)i just wished they would do a special one off show around the country. i think it would be a sell out. we need more stuff like this instead of all the repeats they put on.
22 Comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse