Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 21 September 2013
Very different and quite scary in its own way. Captures the obsession of striving for perfection and letting nothing stand in your way
on 31 March 2013
I really enjoyed the film but a bit strange in parts . This was bought as a present for my daughter and she really enjoyed it
on 6 December 2012
Bought this DVD for my girl friend she likes it, brand new wrapped, great price and it arrived when I was told thanks
on 23 February 2013
Good DVD - needed it for an English Language project - quick service and value for money. Arrived well packaged
on 27 July 2014
Great
on 3 March 2016
10/10
on 25 April 2013
not bought for me but my girlfriend and yes she likes it I just tolerate it but still worth watching
on 24 May 2011
I was amazed and mystified by the glowing reviews of what I thought was the worst nominated movie of the year.
A bunch of us - some of them dancers - sat down to watch this film and we were overwhelmed by the avalanche of clichés that came crashing on top of us: the agony of dancing (split nails anyone?), the sacrifices, the wicked pushy mother, the stupid ballerina who can't seem to become a woman, the horny choreographer and - gasp - the agony (yes, more) of performing Swan Lake... The clichés, the clichés.
We howled at the silliness of it all - almost as if it were bad comedy. Roman Polansky tackled the same theme in a far better film back in 1965. Anyone see Repulsion? Dated yes, but still vastly superior to this one.
And yet the Black Turkey received nomination after nomination and Portman won award after award for playing a paranoid and hysterical dancer who... becomes even more paranoid and hysterical. Does that deserve an Oscar? Not in my book, but I imagine that they simply could not resist a 90-minute mad scene.
And as for Aronofsky... Well, I guess he is an acquired taste. He served up a very tasty and promising morsel a few years back: Requiem For A Dream.
And then he gave us The Fountain, The Wrestler and now Black Turkey. I suppose me and many of my friends must be missing something; nevertheless I think I'll pass on his next film. My advice is: spend your money getting a good film like The Fighter or The Kids Are Alright or any other film, actually.
55 Comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 November 2014
Great value, only 1.27 in total! And great movie, with several interpretations of the ending!
on 3 June 2016
Although this film had very good acting in, it was unexpectedly surreal hence the 3/5 rating