on 10 April 2011
Thanks Canon for producing a compact digital camera with an OPTICAL VIEWFINDER. I live in Spain where we have a thing called Sunshine and this makes most cameras with only a view panel very difficult to use. The camera is about the size of a packet of King size Cigs so fits neatly in the pocket but has the quality of image and facilities of most others on the market. Great.
on 23 August 2011
We ordered this camera as one of the few we could find with an optical viewfinder. The viewfinder is small, but it works, including the zoom, and we are very satisfied.
The camera itself produces the usual Canon excellent images and colour rendering. It also takes normal batteries which is nice, and they last a reasonable time.
This camera has been superceded by one without an optical viewfinder so I guess not many people will read this, but if optical viewfinders rock your boat, then this camera will not let you down.
on 1 May 2012
As others have noted, the viewfinder is a bit small (Canon call it "tunnel style") but it works. The picture quality is good for the price; treat it as a 6 mega-pixel camera. The full instructions are, as usual these days, provided only on disk, not as a book. With 2500 mAh rechargeable batteries it hasn't ever run out of power when needed.

You will also need an SD memory card, because the camera hasn't even a token amount of internal storage.

(It has a lithium coin cell to power the camera's clock and possibly the memory for its settings even when there's no main battery to run the camera. The instructions suggest that should last several years. A neat touch I haven't seen before.)
on 17 December 2011
A very useful little camera especially as it is one of the few compacts that has a viewfinder as well as an LCD screen, the viewfinder is tiny but it does the job. All in all I am happy with this camera and would recomend it and the seller.
Colin
on 13 September 2012
This camera cost much less than the cheapest lens on my full-sized SLR, but it still takes perfectly good photographs in most circumstances. The zoom lens works well enough across its range. Higher zoom ratios are a numbers game, with quality sacrificed for specifications. This works wide angle (28mm) to medium telephoto (110mm) good for everything from buildings to portraits, and copes well with most conditions. The main problem is shooting in low light, where the sensor is rather noisy at high ISO settings (and I have a "big" Canon camera that's just as bad) - use a flash! Speaking of the flash, it's positioned where it's very easy to cover it with your finger.

As well as stills, the A1200 will shoot "HD" videos. With a fast, 8Gb SD card this works far better than I'd dare hope. (If you don't get smooth video, get a proper high-speed HD card - this applies so all video-enabled cameras).

There are also two very big plus points to the A1200 - firstly it takes standard AA batteries, so there's no need to mess about with chargers and expensive spares. Secondly it has an optical viewfinder, which is essential in bright conditions. Although this LCD screen is good, they're all inherently rubbish in bright light.

This isn't a perfect camera, but it's a lot better than most cheap compacts I've seen, and several much more expensive ones from a couple of years back. It takes good pictures, and it's cheap. A very practical pocket camera. The only snag is that it was replaced in April 2012 by the A1300. I chose the A1200 in preference this August - get it while you still can.
on 13 September 2012
Camera was absolutely fine to begin with, but after about 3 weeks the sensor suddenly failed. I have been told this is a very rare occurence but not unheard of. I had bought the camera for an elderly friend who needed one that was straight forward to use, which it was. I have two Canon cameras of my own - a compact and an SLR which have never caused me any problems, but this one was definitely a lemon. The chances of it happening again is probably pretty remote but it has made me wary.
on 19 November 2012
My wife and I have recently spent a long holiday in Europe. I was using the first A1200 bought last year and she used a camera without a viewfinder. After a few days we downloaded both cameras to our laptop. What a difference the A1200 had superb photos and the other had numerous hit and miss pictures because of the screen only view. In bright sunny conditions it was a case of point and shoot and hope for the best. Where the A1200 won hands down was inside shots of castles and chateaux etc. Result was the more expensive camera was packed away and the A1200 came into its own. On returning home I found the A1200 no longer available in Australia so turned to Amazon and bought a new one from their Marketplace.Postage was a bit steep, but we now aviod the hit and miss of the other style cameras. Finding a small camera with a viewfinder is very hard these days. Another great plus with the A1200 is that it is pocket sized and light and you really forgot you have got it with you.
on 7 March 2013
While I am not a great photographer I do have a digital SLR but find it too cumbersom for carrying about, I have looked for a small digital but I really wanted one that had a viewfinder. This really was a great solution and I am very impressed with the quality of the camera and the shots it produces.
on 7 May 2013
The Powershot A1200 is a very lightweight but easy to use camera, giving sharp pictures with the minimum of fuss. Ideal to slip in your pocket when walking and ready quickly for those times when a quick set-up is needed. Would thoroughly recommend.
on 11 May 2013
Love this camera lightweight and so easy to use just point and shoot. Very good pictures also has a small viewfinder which great on a sunny day when can't see screen. I would definitely recommend this camera great value for money.