on 3 June 2011
I bought this little camera for a recent holiday - and I was not disappointed.

The colours are superb - much more than I was expecting - and the "Optical Image Stabilisation" feature is really useful. No blurry images with this little beauty.

The IA (Intelligent Auto) mode is also a must. It enables you to simply point, zoom as required and click. Easy.

The battery life is good too and you get plenty of warning if you are running low.

I've only used the HD recording once, but the results were impressive. Obviously using this feature does eat up battery power.

The viewing screen is good in all but the very brightest days.

The zoom is ok - but if it is particularly important to you there are compacts out there with better zoom.

For under £100 - it's a bargain!
on 16 June 2011
I bought this as a temporary replacement for a much more expensive camera, and have been pleasantly surprised at its capabilities. The image quality is excellent except in low light, when it becomes a bit grainy, and the unusually wide viewing angle is a useful feature for indoor shots in restricted spaces. The close-up results are also good, and the image stabiliser works well. The built-in flash is not very powerful but adequate for most indoor situations. It sometimes fires when not desirable, for example when taking very close subjects, when it causes over-exposure, but it can be easily disabled from the rotary control on the back before taking a picture. There are fewer options than you get in the menu of the more expensive cameras, but everything that the average non-professional is likely to need is there and very easily accessible from the rotary control on the back. It's also less complicated to use than, say, the Canon compacts, and would make a good first digital camera for someone who just wants something that works well in most situations. I found little difference between the normal mode and the 'intelligent auto' mode. The camera is exceptionally small and light and has a sturdy metal case and a good size bright display. Because you can't store images in lower resolution than the full 14 M.Pix it's best to use a 4GB memory card with this camera. A viewfinder would be a welcome addition for working in bright sunlight, but this is becoming unusual on digital cameras and probably not worth the extra cost, weight and bulk. The moving pictures are acceptable but not as good (either picture or sound) as you would get from a dedicated camcorder. For all normal purposes, the Lumix S3 is more than adequate and excellent value for money.
on 22 July 2011
The favourable comments I'd echo - though one review claims you cannot save pix at less than 14 MP. That's not the case (I am happy to say).

Go to Menu\Rec\Picture size. You can set it down to 640 x 480 - far too low - though 2560 x 1920 is fine for all normal purposes (5 MP, up to A4 prints). This gives you more than 600 pix on a 2GB SD card. At 14 MP you save only half that number - and you'd use up your HDD that much quicker.

This is an excellent camera, albeit with a somewhat limited zoom, and the colours are terrific.

Brian J Ford
Panasonic Lumix S3 Digital Camera - Black (14.1MP, 4x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD
on 17 April 2012
I wanted this for my trekking/rambling excursions as I have to take the picture 'on the hoof' and so needed a non-complicated camera that I could use without too much thinking. I already have a Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ6 for more advanced use and so the S3 model is ideal for 'point n shoot' and I am well pleased with it and would recommend it, doesn't take up much space and I even like the colour! (Red)
on 5 November 2011
Bought this for my son (13) who has been showing a good interest in photography. He has found it really easy to use and has taken some good stills, and video as well. Despite having a much smaller lens than my Fuji, most of the pictures so far are just as good, and the compact size makes it easy to carry around. The shutter response (which can be very slow with many digital cameras, and not just the cheaper ones) is very good with this model. I'd agree the video is not as good as a good quality camcorder, but better than many digital cameras, and excellent given the compact size.
The battery life is good, and the external charger is good for keeping a second battery topped up ready for a swap over. Charging times are short enough if you don't want to buy a second battery, but I bought Mobilizers: High Capacity Replacement Battery For PANASONIC DMW-BCK7E For Lumix DMC Models and so far I think it's worth the extra money to have one ready to go.
on 23 July 2011
I love this little camera. It has lots of features that more expensive cameras have and a decent zoom. It isn't perfect but I reckon you get plenty for your money. It does have the usual problem common to cameras with LCD screen viewfinders, in that it's often difficult or impossible to see what you are aiming at in bright light or bright skies. I have been used to cameras with viewfinders and am getting used to using a screen but despite this, I think this camera is great value for money. Small, light and rather pretty!
on 28 June 2012
The Panasonic Lumix S3 Digital Camera in Blue (14.1MP, 4x Optical Zoom)with a 2.7 inch LCD is a very simple camera to use, you can produce excellent photographs by just using a little common sense. I bought it for my wife who liked the idea of having a camera with her on just about every occasion - she is not good with technology but has no trouble taking good photos.
Dont know if its just me but its more purple than blue BUT it came 2nd day after ordering. Have been using it today and its very lightweight, easy to use and takes excellent pictures. Battery needs charging before use so be warned, also bought a spare as not sure how long it lasts yet and I like to be prepared.
Its a lovely little camera and a bargain for under £60, I have a 4GB SD card in mine and with that it will take over 600 photos apparently. Both the battery and SD card are easy to pop in and out. Give it 5 stars as its pretty good and does the job. Would make a nice gift for anyone as well really.
on 2 May 2012
works a treat for the technology disabled minded like me! Easy to understand...worked most of it out without looking at the instruction booklet (so boring reading those!) and takes fab, clear photos!! Bought one for my son last christmas and was so impressed that I got one for myself! My son has used the movie mode and that is good quality too. A good, neat little all-rounder
on 2 January 2012
Excellent user interface and easy to use.
Bought to replace ageing Canon Ixus 4.
Screen much bigger and controls more intuitive,
but pictures not so sharp.
Takes good pictures in good light but results disappointing indoors, ie. in poor light and flash.

See one answered question