I have updated my view of this book to reflect its readership. It is clearly a title and concept that has attracted people and Brett writes in a way that clearly inspires people to want to invest in property which in current conditions is clearly a leap of faith, so I applaud Brett for exciting that faith. I applaud the number of write-ups this book has had and so, whilst my reservations remain, it would be petty of me to ignore the following that this book has generated, although I would be more impressed where reviewers have a breadth of comparable reads. I try in my reviews to serve the reader and not the writer. Probably half of the books I have read have followed reviews and recommendations of others and I regard reviewing as the collective teamwork of enthusiasts.

Note 21/10/14. I have been amazed at how much interest this review has caused and humbly offer some book suggestions to broaden your interest in property. This facility wasn't available when I originally wrote the review. I get how an exciting cover, a simple concept well explained and a passionate author has led to high book sales and property is such an important investment that the money you spend on a handful of books is time and money well spent.

Property Magic: How to Buy Property Using Other People's Time, Money and Experience

How to Avoid the 77 Biggest Mistakes Made by Property Investors

Property Investing Secrets - How to Profit From Buy To Let

There now follows my original review:

I rushed to buy this book the week it came out and looking at the reviews, I am startled at how many good reviews it has. What I thought I would be buying is a cutting edge book with up to date techniques and a real grasp of the property market. It reads like a 2004 book. Buying off-plan and developer properties is a very lazy and turnkey strategy and the author invites you to make even less effort and let him take care of all that for you. There are a lot of crooks ( not an accusation I am aiming at the author) past and present who will offer you a lazy route to riches. I have seen both fortunes made and personal despair over bad purchases (more common) and whilst the author is honest enough to admit an off plan purchase that loses money but will come good someday, I could list 4 genuine trustworthy guides and 3 heartless bandits who also offer advice. The book starts with a flawed 3 property strategy and doesn't take long to tell you there is a better way, ie more properties and interest only rather than owning 3 properties outright. ie the author shamelessly uses a catchy strategy to sell the book. If you are really serious about property you need more knowledge, experience and training than this book offers. Go carefully.
1616 Comments| 147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 January 2015
Eye opening and very informative.
on 6 July 2016
Interesting
on 23 February 2010
Overall a very enjoyable read but short on detail. The underlying concept is very simple: Buy To Let property is a much better long term investment vehicle than anything else, & it advises how you should best take advantage of this for long term portfolio growth.

BUT....once I read the book I found it hard to think back about many new facts I'd learned from it.

Eg.
Set and Forget philosphy - spot on concept, but the check lists are brief and not properly explained. Less marketing and sales pitch, more tips and facts please. I guess this bit is a taster in the book to get you to join the website so you become a potential customer of the author's company.
Several 'strategies' - 7-10, 3+1, 1-2-stop, 5 and hold - but they are a bit brief and 'back of the envelope'.
The free Software to track your portfolio could be better
There's almost nothing about practicalities of choosing the right property for BTL, about property development, maximising yield, minimising your tax liability

Be prepared for regular e-mails and even a phone call when you register your details on the website.

If you are thinking about property investment and still making your mind up, this is a good book to get you started & worth the money. It it convinces you to go for it, I would suggest doing a bit more reading before you actually take the plunge
on 29 December 2012
I've just finished reading this book and feel I must forewarn other potential buyers of a few things. Firstly, the author is offering to email you this book free from his website (definitely worth a quick scan before purchasing a hard copy!), secondly, the whole premise of this book is that the UK property market will double it's worth over the next 7 to 10 years, and double again 7 to 10 years after that, if you feel this presumption is too much for you to accept, then this book isn't for you. Thirdly, the author discusses the fact that rental income is unlikely to provide a profit, so money needs to be set aside to cover the shortfall, this fact alone has pretty much scared me off, so back to storing my savings under my mattress I think! Finally, I was surprised by all the positive reviews, so I've looked over them again, my findings are curious, does anyone else think it odd that 62 out of the 94 four and five star reviews were written between 26th Aug and the 5th Sep 2010?
44 Comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 August 2010
As an active property investor my advice would be to read this book first thing before you start to invest!

Your choice not to get educated may mean you will learn expensive lessons you could have prevented if you read the 3+1 PLAN in the first place. I speak from personal experience.

Brett made the book very simplistic and easy to understand.
The rules he teaches you are gold dust in the Investor world.
In my dealings with Brett I found he puts his money where his mouth is.
He is extremely experienced and I trust his education above anything else I have personally paid thousands of pounds to obtain.

I wanted to invest to secure a pension and to create wealth for my family.
Brett and his team managed to make this dream a reality.
They limit the emotional strain and make the investment feel as safe and thought through as much as possible.

Brett not only gave me the confidence to commit, he made me knowledgeable to create wealth safely and successfully.

Thumbs up to the 3+1 PLAN.
on 15 February 2011
After reading this book i was compelled to write my first ever review. I cannot stress how much of a waste of money this book was. There is a ridiculous amount of repetition. The book talks about the '3+1 plan' and 'set and forget'. Well quite simply its use leverage to buy a first property. Hope the house rises in value so you can remortgage and withdraw equity to put down as the deposit for the next mortgage. Rinse and repeat till you have 3 rental properties and 1 house to live in. You pay a management agent to manage the properties to 'set and forget'. This book is padded to 160 pages when 5 pages could do.

What drove me to write this review was that on page 161 there is the 'set and forget' basic checklist. This has gems such as - 'upgrade your status at the bank', Mortgage cost averaging, 'meeting your bank manager and getting what you want' and 'knowing who to call during 'one of those' moments'.

wow. I'd buy a book that had such useful chapters. But this book does not cover these items despite being in his checklist for success. It figures that the author talks at one point about running 'millionaire property seminars'.

Wast of money and waste of time reading.
44 Comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 January 2016
didnot order it
on 6 August 2015
good
on 16 March 2012
Alarmed that the main principal seemed to be to continually borrowing larger and larger amounts to fund negative cashflow on the belief that as prices had risen before, they will do again and fill the gap. Compared to the quality and motivation of rich dad poor dad, I was disappointed.