Is this woman the greatest singer in the world?
On the evidence of this stupendous disc, one could be forgiven for thinking so.
In recent years we have been lucky to have in our midst several marvellous mezzos. I think immediately of the late, universally lamented Lorraine Hunt Lieberson, as well as, for example, the feisty Susan Graham and the cool, aristocratic Bernarda Fink - but surely few sing with the sheer panache, the almost dangerous, devil-may-care quality of Joyce DiDonato.
There is a gutsy ripeness a mezzo can summon up which isn`t so easily available to a soprano. Here is a mezzo whose range is remarkable (hear her low notes!) and whose accuracy of pitch, beauty of tone and luminous legato are always in the service of emotional truth and a bounteous musicality.
The Amazon description above tells you all you need to know about the premise of this enterprising and wholly successful venture, so I won`t rehearse it here. But what a novel, yet so simple, idea, with a not-too predictable choice of arias from a stylistically eclectic range of operas, including, I`m glad to say, some wonderfully sung Berlioz.
They are sung with what I can only call an extreme joie de vivre, a vibrant joyousness which communicates directly, viscerally to the listener with the force of blazing sunlight. Some singers sing. This singer sings to me. What she must be like to hear live I can only imagine, and tremble at the thought.
I`ve heard Ms DiDonato interviewed, but even had I not I would know this is a woman of wit, humour, passion, intense humanity, and not a little sauce.
The excellent crime writer Donna Leon, each of whose novels contains an epigraph taken from a Mozart opera, has dedicated one of her books to her. Now, that`s praise.
If you love great singing, or if you just love opera, you will have to hear this splendid release. Towards the end I began to wonder if I could take much more, so glorious, so utterly sublime is the voice bursting through the speakers. In truth, I could have gone on listening for hours.
Essential, in every way.
on 14 October 2015
I cannot add much to the other(excellent) reviews.
Except to say that the Berlioz/Gounod/Massenet arias have completely blown me away!
Especially the Berlioz,which Joyce doesn't seem to have recorded much of (if any?) before.
Going by the Berlioz can we hope for a recital disc in the near future?
on 25 March 2013
I bought this disc after hearing Joyce Didonato Live from the Met in Maria Stuarda. I wanted to recapture the richness, depth and power of her voice. This disc is an excellent vehicle for her talents.
on 21 March 2013
What a voice! What a voice! If you are new to Joyce Didonato (like I am still) then please do get an album, sit back and be prepared to feel the hairs on the back of your neck stand on ends. Relax and let her voice wash over you. Whatever you do, you will enjoy Joyce Didonato and her beautiful voice.
on 30 January 2012
If you have not heard Joyce DiDonato sing and are found of opera and the mezzosoprano voce, you should remedy that deficiency immediately, quite simply she is wonderful. This recording of some well known but mostly lesser known arias is high quality and enchanting.
on 9 February 2014
Sensational voice which I first heard when she sang at the Proms lasy night last September. I was captivated then and have been ever since.
on 17 December 2013
I knew few of these pieces but that only enhanced my enjoyment of this fantastic performance.
Joyce is an extraordinary singer.
on 13 October 2013
What a voice and a great recording having heard her on the Last Night of the Proms even though I have these arias by other singers Roy
on 24 May 2014
Really great album by this fabulous singer. Can't get enough of her. Go listen to her live, you'll not regret the effort.
on 17 July 2013
I am an Amazon fan and a faithful client. I do want to leave positive reviews when they are deserved but I don't have enough fantasy to invent a new review every time. So: simply perfect. Thx