on 22 April 2014
This book contains facts about the world that many of us would probably rather not have to think about or acknowledge because they're rather disturbing. Especially seeing as we can do little to change a lot of them in the short term. Whether it is wise or not to go through life in ignorance of important if bad things in the world is subjective. I do however believe that the more people that become aware the more who care enough can hopefully make a noise about things and maybe that will ultimately lead to changes for the better. However I would not recommend reading this if you really need something to cheer you up at the moment.
on 13 March 2014
Though I have personally not fact checked, nor am I certain that the problems described exist as prevalently today as they did during the release of the book I nevertheless find this book a must read for all but the most knowledgeable of academics(who probably know this stuff already). This book will tell you about a wide range of issues, such as how obesity is also a developing world phenomena, how mines still hurt people decades after their wars were finished, and how China has millions of women missing(possibly because they were never born).
on 24 January 2014
We know the world is going to Hell in a handcart that is being collectively rolled along by all of us careless and ignorant humans. Not much new here. The 50 changes are the bad ones - I thought this was going to be about good ways that, if enacted, could improve things, but no - this is the same old, same old, doom laden prophecies we have all heard before.
on 9 March 2013
A great book you can dip into whenever you want. Full of interesting facts. This is an easy read or something that you can turn to if you want specific informstion
on 9 February 2018
Lots to think about, perhaps too much all at once. Should alert people’s conscience about the unfair and unequal state of the world.
on 1 February 2014
One of the many books I've downloaded for my kindle, good read and keeping it on there to read again in the future =)
on 3 January 2014
A good start point for secondary school or adults looking to broaden general knowledge of global issues.

Each essay is short and balanced although sometimes less so in conclusions which reflect author's own analysis.

Lacking warmth and out of date.

Despite this I think the book has some merit and an audience.
on 17 February 2013
Interesting book, makes you think about some of the serious problems affecting us all. Also, excellent references at the end about all 50 facts and where you can find more information. I would recommend this to anyone.
on 9 November 2012
The book is a good read with some notable information. But the author stresses too much on events and vain opinions regarding the West. Some facts such as overeating & starving in Western societies are irrevelent to most of the rest of the world. People also are starving in Third World countries due to abject poverty and not because of psychological illness or lower self esteem. I think only a small percentage of people are affected by these so-called events related to food in Western world when observed from global perspective. These factors cannot change the world. Another topic is the high number of Avon ladies in Brazil. This is just a vain outlook on the part of a female Western writer regarding beauty and aesthetics ; the vast majority of people both in rich and poor countries have to struggle day in and day out for their everyday livelihood. The same is true for botox injections and cosmetic surgery. Instead she should stress the positive use of cosmetic surgery for tens of thousands of war wounded from domestic and international conflicts, rehabilitation and psychological help for millions of people suffering from physical and emotional trauma caused by wars, natural disasters, accidents etc..But many of the facts are useful read. She did'nt write about the proliferation of small arms in conflicts all over the world. These weapons killed millions of people- much more than the nuclear weapons.

Anyway, the book is a good read but much needs to be done by the author.
on 12 June 2012
I was surprised when I was some 52% of the way through book to find out I had finished it and the rest of the book was notes and citations. If I hadn't bought this in the Kindle Daily Deal I would of felt quite ripped off