Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 27 May 2016
very good read
on 29 January 2012
The main story is good with a few twists and turns, almost a hint of Ealing Comedy humour as the French Police try to avoid involving the Gestapo in the murder investigations. A series of murders follows on from a village massacre carried out by the Nazis. The British are coming to St Nazaire and the local Nazi has to keep them away from the docks.

There is the woman from Arisaig and Frank Nielson who pop up at the start of the book but disappear from the storyline leaving me wondering why they were mentioned. Barjot also appears at the start, not that competent in his training for Special Operations but sent out to organise the local Resistance. The Resistance is successful although Barjot only appears fleetingly.

Meilland is the star of the book. A good character, almost Maigret like, who steers his way through the bodies and politics to solve the crimes.

I found a few kindle errors which made reading less enjoyable than it should have been.

If you like a Maigret style story set in occupied France in World War 2, then this is worth a read.
on 4 April 2011
A very good read and I found that as the book progressed so did the speed of my reading. A sign of a good book.
The story has been accurately described but the thing I found a bit puzzling was the relevance of Anna Zeeman in Arisaig, Inverness-shire. It was almost as though there was another book/storyline dropped in and I couldn't quite see the relevance. Certainly that part of the whole book finished somewhat abruptly and didn't seem to fit in with the overall storyline.That said, it was still a good read.
I enjoyed the book immensely and look forward to reading more from Jack Wilson.
on 23 July 2013
Not particularly well written with a plot which seemed to hop around and became difficult to follow. I was glad to finish the book and I regret that I cannot recommend it.
on 20 June 2013
This was not a good read, I know I only paid a few pence for this book but it wasn't good, the story line was very hard to follow it was fragmented really I often had to refer back to see where a character fitted into the overall scheme of things. There were several basic grammar and spelling issues. Overall I wouldn't recommend this book.
on 15 May 2016
Intriguing plot, but not the best book I've read from Kindle. However it would not dissuade me from reading other material from Jack Wilson, but the most annoying thing is the number of errors which creep in due to the lack of, or inept, proof reading/editing.
on 16 October 2014
A story with a good mix of authenticity and fiction, very enjoyable and enthralling, really looking forward to another of the authors works.
on 11 January 2014
I nice easy read on a long trip by plane and train that filled those dull hours travelling. some of it was gripping
on 11 March 2013
THIS BOOK WAS A VERY GOOD AND INFORMATIVE READ , I WILL RECOMEND IT TO ANY ONE VERY GOOD VALUE
on 24 September 2015