on 7 January 2017
Music is fantastic!
However, CDs 2 and 3 are faulty - last tracks are missing/faulty. Another reviewer mentioned a similar problem. Very odd.
I was not allowed to return the box, even thought the website and the order said that returns were possible.
I have written to Amazon asking them to authorise a replacement.
Update: Amazon sent me a replacement box; everything is fine now.
Four stars for the faulty CDs. Five stars for the music!
on 23 April 2013
This is a golden oldie and wonderful value. Sensitive performances and converted my husband, for whom I bought it, to the String Quartets and Quintets, highly recommended!
on 23 September 2012
Although a relatively old recording by the Amadeus Quartet and soloists, this is a superb collection of Brahms chamber music. The sound is excellent and the playing sympathetic and quite beautiful in places. Wonderful value for the price and I can see myself playing these recordings again and again. What makes it even more enjoyable is that there are pieces I did not know and wonder how I could live to my eighties and not have heard them before.
11 Comment| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 December 2010
I am a keen music lover but have no academic qualifications to back my opinions. If I want to wallow in Brahms melodies and harmonies I enjoy turning to this set rather more than others that I have in my modest Brahms collection.
on 12 December 2014
What a fantastic box set really top of the range playing.
on 6 December 2014
Splendid performances of some of Brahms' major chamber works. Consistently delightful and often very moving.
on 2 September 2015
Perfection - a wonderful recording.
on 10 August 2015
I particularly like Amadeus Quartet & have heard them live on several occasions. This recording sounds very good. However, it is incomplete - Sextet No.1 Track 1 is missing & will not download. It is not the end of the world, but annoying when you have paid for it. For this reason I have given it 2 stars; not because of the quaslity of the music.
on 23 August 2016
Romantic music at its best
on 18 February 2013
I heard the sextet in B flat major originally on Radio 3 and liked it.The rest of the CDs are very fine recordings.