on 7 July 2016
I will be honest prior to reading this book I had never heard of this author but having bought an Amazon Fire having previously always been an hardcopy reader, I was looking to download some books to give it a try.
Amazon being Amazon were quick to offer some suggestions, and I selected half a dozen at the excellent price of nothing yes Free, but there's a famous saying there is no such thing as a free meal, well in my case as an avid reader there is no such thing as a free book. Yes the books were completely free, but having read The Destroyer with its nail biting cliff hanger ending I have since ordered at a cost book 2.
Likewise having read and thoroughly enjoyed this book I have since ordered the complete trilogy as this worked out better value than just buying the two remaining books.
This is a quality read almost non stop action, and be warned those of a nervous disposition some quite graphic violence, the characterisation vivid with a real sense of time and place you can almost touch.
This book is right up there with similar offerings in this genre such as Giles Kristian's "RAVEN" series, Robert Low's "Oathsworn" series and Bernard Cornwell's "Uhtred" series, and as such I highly recommend it.
on 7 June 2017
A brilliant evocation of the conflicts and challenges that faced the people of Dark Age Britain. The extended battle scenes between the Romano-British (whom the author refers to as Welsh) and the incoming Anglo-Saxons are powerfuly described. I found the story a little slow in getting off the ground at first, as the author sets the scene but then the action takes over and we are swept along by Cerdic's tale and intrigued by the Welsh slave Aedann, and the question of where his loyalty lies. Highly recommended as a gripping action read, bringing an obscure period of British history alive; and a worthy start to the first in the Northern Crown series.
on 19 August 2017
This was quite good. I found it a little difficult at first to get to grips with the storyline and characters, but after a while I got to grips with it. Great story and well written
on 22 March 2017
It took me a few pages to get into this book & I liked the main character & was drawn into the storyline. In particular I liked that the narrative starts with the character in his later years telling us the story. I definitely want to get the next books to see how the tale progresses.
on 15 August 2017
Not an era I am familiar with but I enjoyed the story.
on 23 August 2017
A bit long winded.
on 9 July 2017
All good
on 2 May 2015
Very good starting for a series, it probably doesn't accurately depict the true horror of war in the age, but well written.
on 18 April 2017
A good read
on 10 April 2017
Good all round read would recommend to others hadn't read any of this author before but would read more of him