Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 26 June 2011
This book was utterly hilarious - the kind of book you'd want to sit and read in just one sitting. Kevin King will not be too everyone's tastes - he's one of those devilsh rogues; hilarious and nasty but you can't help root for them (reminded me of John Black from 'The Myth of Supply and Demand', and Steven from 'Kill Your Friends'). Comparisons with 'American Psycho' will be unavoidable, and the content is not for the easily offended, but if you have even a passing interest in football (and contempt for footballers) then this is the book for you. I hope there's a sequel.
on 14 June 2013
I can really see why this wouldnt be to everyone's taste, but it really appealed to my sense of humour and I enjoyed it from start to finish.

I would urge anyone interested to try the sample, if you enjoy that then the rest of the book is along the same lines.

As soon as I finished it I kevcellently ordered the sequel, Group of death.
on 19 March 2013
I thought this book was extremely disappointing, as soon as I started it I thought, I can't read this, but I gave it a chance and read the first 4 chapters! However, it didn't get any better so I deleted from my kindle! It may be a book that someone with the intelligence of a premiership footballer could read, or a 6 year old!!
on 4 August 2014
When I started reading this book I instantly recalled the narcissism and materialism of Bateman in American Psycho. In fact it read as though King was a twin of Bateman.
Okay Taylor has stolen Bret Easton Ellises book. But hey! How many footballers share the same narcissism and material greed as King??
Quite a few you have to agree. Revelling as gods in extreme wealth.
The story reads as another American Psycho with the murder of several random victims who insult King and end up buried in his nans garden. And the observations of King of peoples fashion traits are also borrowed from American Psycho.
All in all. Not the most original book. But the idea of a footballer as a murdering psychopath was entertaining, And clearly demonstrates the kind of priveliged life footballers lead.
A respectable 8\10
on 20 December 2011
Bret Easton Ellis American Psycho is defiantly a book to admire rather than like. This book is obviously an attempt to capture the genius of Easton Ellis's best work, but it never really succeeds.
One of the things it does cover is the consumerism and the hatred of the poor. There is also an Evelyn stand in, Saskia, whose motives are unclear.
However, Easton Ellis made the audience think: are the murders real? Is Bateman who he says he is? This all benefited from its lack of plot. However, this book has a plot, the murders are real, and Kevin King is no Bateman.
There are some good characters, like the millionaire chairman who eats in fish and chip shops, but most of the characters are not so finely drawn. For football fans there are some careless errors (Valencia in the champions league in 2009-2010 season?) and the fact that its set around a season which finished two years ago, as well as the discussions on 1990's idol Kevin Costner (a poor imitation to Easton Ellis's Genesis chapter) makes the book appear dated.
It's a nice try, but all the power from American psycho is lost.
on 27 June 2012
Previous reviewers comparing this unfavourably with 'American Psycho' are missing the point of this laugh-out-loud funny book. It is satire, not copy. To my mind, the more appropriate comparison is with Stella Gibbons "Cold Comfort Farm". Kev King is a 21st century Starkadder, complete with 'something nasty in the woodshed' Debunking modern and popular culture, poking fun at Literature with a capital L whilst writing a pacy page turner with some brilliant lines ("The treble, Kev. The treble. Which is like the double. Only there's one more.") His characters are recognisable, funny and drive the story along at a kev-ing pace. This is a writer at the top of his game. I have bought the sequel, "Group of Death" and cannot wait to start it ... Kev also blogs at "KevKingCouture.com" (unfortunately, not yet available on Kindle). I don't know how I missed this gem of a book when it was first published, but I'm definitely going to recommend it to all my friends now.
on 27 January 2011
Not being a huge football fan I wasn't certain that I would enjoy this book, but I needn't have worried. The book turned out to be a brilliantly funny page-turner as Kev King 'Kevs' his way through the worlds of football, celebrity and murder.

The debt to American Psycho can be readily seen by those familiar with the book, but this is lighter, punchier and far more tongue in cheek. Kev is simply a great comic creation, which his obsessions about fashion, Nicky Campbell, world records involving feats of strength and Kevin Keegan amongst others. His malapropisms are a joy - 'like shooting fish from a baby'

For me a good solid four stars, for anyone with even a vague interest in football I think it would easily be five
on 22 May 2013
Sorry to say but this is poorly written with an unhealthy obsession to dropping supposed top brand names on every single page!
For your own sanity avoid!!
on 9 September 2013
There should be an unwritten rule that unless you finish a book you shouldn't be able to review it. I didn't love it at first but when you realise tat Kev is absolutely hilarious, it turns from being rather boring to rather excellent.
on 24 February 2011
I surprised myself by ordered this after reading a review in a sports magazine...surprised because I'm not the biggest football fan. It really doesn't matter. You really don't need to be a) a man or b) a fan of the apparently beautiful game to enjoy this glance into the bizarre world of successful footballers with far too much money to spend sensibly. This is one of the funniest books I've ever read...genuine laugh out loud funny! (In fact every time poor customer service, branded clothing, Nicky Campbell...not to mention Harrods (!!) cross my mind I still giggle!!). A great read!