on 12 August 2017
I think it's disgusting that no checks were done to prove her innocence. Australia always say they are one of the best airports for not letting things through customs It puts you off travelling through these places . I feel very sorry for her and don't know how she has survived all this time I don't know if she is out yet but I hope so.
on 27 July 2017
Great book, defo worth a read.
on 28 August 2017
good read.
on 25 June 2017
Excellent
on 16 August 2011
Reading this book I actually didn't know Schapelle was still in prison until I got further in the book...I couldn't belive it, I thought I would get to a happy ending.

I read this book within an evening it was so gripping. I so want to believe she is innocent, but 1 problem for me that sticks in my mind is that surely she would of felt the difference in how much her boogie board weighed as 9.3lb is not far off a stone...I can't believe that she did not notice this and it makes me question her story.

One thing I found annoying is all the photos she supplied in the book she is smiling..The photo in which she says the guards brought in the reporters and let them take pictures, she said she was mortified and embarrassed, it doesn't look like that to me. She mentions alot of times how she has to have her hair and make up done - if I was going through what she was I wouldn't give a damn about beauty, but proving my innocence.

All that said, I do believe how her case has been handled is terrible - just damn right wrong. Her lawyers were useless and did nothing for her...Why she stuck with them so long I can't understand. She doesn't explain why either...That Lara (?) lawyer was always texting, not saying anything, crying all the time - surely after the 1st court appearance you would of sacked her straight away.

I really do hope she is innocent and that when I search her name in google soemtime next year it will say she has been freed, because even I have doubts about her story, she has fought too damn hard to stay a prisoner until 2024.
on 2 January 2015
Good read
on 6 April 2017
Really enjoyed the book
on 7 May 2016
I'm not massively into books. My mind tends to womder and i find half way through I'm usually bored and can't recall much of what has happened, then the book will remain half read and left gathering dust before being offloaded to a nearby charity shop.

Not this book!

Kathryn Bonella worked with Schapelle Corby whilst Corby served her 20 year sentence for smuggling marijuana into Bali. Schapelle, who maintains her innocence throughout, tells her story in intimate and graphic detail to Bonella through the bars of her Indonesian prison cell. Bonella has done a wonderful job of capturing the heartbreaking journey of a clearly broken soul.

It is impossible not to empathise enormously as you witness a young girl, full of life, love, enthusiasm and promise being beaten down, day by day fighting against an ongoing blackness that wants to envelope her, that wants to break her.

Indonesia can, and often does deal with drug traffickers by death penalty. Its legislators are keen to make it clear that, despite the sun drenched, laid back, party scenes of places like Bali, anyone involved with moving narcotics in or out of the country is likely to forfeit their right to life.

Although Schapelle Corby was spared the firing squad, the conditions she must endure, in a shared cell, rife with disease due to conditions so unsanitary and abhorrent that I simply cannot enter into the details whilst keeping my review decent! And to know that those conditions and experiences are now part of your daily life for weeks, months, years and then decades to come....it's just impossible to comprehend.

Factor into that her assertion that she is completely innocent, and you may have hit upon many people's idea of hell. Myself included.

Given the dark subject matter, the book does a marvelous job of keeping the story thread very much alive and not euthanized by a million dark thoughts. Schapelle's inner warmth and resilience is difficult to understand at times, but it says something quite beautiful about the human spirit.

Reading this book was like going on a very real, often uncomfortable journey - one that will hold your attention from the first letter to the final full stop.

My copy won't be visiting a charity shop any time soon!
on 21 February 2010
Whether Schapelle is guilty or not (I certainly don't think she did it)she did NOT receive a fair trial by any form. Innocent until proven guilty..............pah! There was absolutely no evidence whatsoever that proved that the drugs were hers. The authorities destroyed evidence from the off, therefore that should have been their own fault!

Where was the CCTV footage, the fingerprints, the scan images of the luggage, the confirmed & compared weights from when the bags were checked in to when the drugs were found? Whether the evidence would have proved Schapelle's innocence or guilt, no one will know other than Schapelle.

She should not have been sentenced to anything whatsoever, they had nothing on her!! It could in reality happen to anyone, i'm shocked to think that anyone would think that Schapelle deserves to do any time in that hell hole!

I think her family have been amazing, especially her sister. Hold on Schapelle, they'll be light at theend of the tunnel. I for one will NEVER travel to that part of the world no that I have read this book!
on 8 June 2016
This is a very good book in parts I found that lots of whY Kathryn said was repeated