Customer reviews

Just great songwriting
on 4 July 2017
Excellent
on 19 March 2011
Album No.5 from Messers Garvey & Co is rapidly becoming my favourite of them all. Up until this point 'Leaders Of The Free World' has been up there as my personal fave since 2005. That album comes as close to perfection in music as you can get. With this new release which follows on from musical accolades and that final breakthrough album resulting in them being Mercury Music Prize Winners in 2009 they have exceeded expectation with a thankfully unrushed album of sublime tunes.

The first 6 tracks on this album have you smiling, thinking and crying with their magnetic charm. 'The Birds' is over 8 minutes long and opens the album that has it's feet firmly in Guy Garvey's childhood, a nostalgic trip of missing family life and the unsettling feeling of not fitting in to a new neighbourhood. 'Lippy Kids' according to Q, was a key song and written in defence of the British teenager or victim, as Garvey put it, "the anti-hoody rubbish that goes on in the media, the perceived thought that everyone who stands about on street corners is a criminal. 'With Love' and 'Jesus Is A Rochdale Girl' comes from the heart, first love poems are something we can all remember and Garvey has based these songs on his, the latter being very minimalistic and one of the best tracks they have recorded. 'The Night Will Always Win' brought a lump to my throat when I first heard it, Garvey's voice being on top form here. I think why this album appeals to me is that I'm very nostalgic about my past and these songs tap into that emotion with accute accuracy.

'Neat Little Rows' and 'Open Arms' are the 2 strongest candidates for singles, the former having been released already. Apparantly when struggling for inspiration lyrically, Guy Garvey would visit Peter Gabriel's Real World Studio's for ideas. Peter being one of my favourite artists of all time may be another reason why I love this album! 'High Ideals''The River' and 'Dear Friends' are the rest of the songs that make up this record along with a 1.5 minute reprise of 'The Birds' certainly continues the theme of reflective nostalgia. I am very thankful that Elbow didn't succomb to the 'commercial market' and release an album of radio friendly tunes, they must always have an edge to their music and challenge the listener to actually think. With 'Build A Rocket Boys' they have achieved just that. 5 Stars!
on 20 June 2014
At last we have a modern group that create beautiful music. As a real oldie I have long lamented the common lack of of a blend of beautiful sounds and meaningful words in contemporary pop music. Elbow's "Build a Rocket Boys!" album is one of the best I've heard for years.Lyrical and meaningful and worth playing time and again.
on 11 May 2014
Guy Garvey looks like a builder an everyday bloke then he opens his mouth and the voice of an angel erupts.Once again the words and music on this album are haunting and poetic.Elbow can do no wrong in my eyes
The Seldom seen kid (released in early 2008) elevated Elbow from little known Bury band to Mercury Winning - stadium filling stars. Build a rocket boys! has been several years in the making and I was fortunate enough to have my copy drop through my letterbox several days before release so have managed several listens already. I have to say at this point that It takes me several listens to really appreciate Elbow songs and this album has seen no change. Songs such as Lippy kids have been widely promoted and this track is likely to be more of the band that most people know and love. However further listens show that Elbow know this terrain well, there are slow building songs here that are layered and complex and will take repeated listens to enjoy. The subjects of youth, love, loss and death are all here and Guy Garvey does a wonderful job of injecting so much emotion into his songs with what appears to be such ease. Nowhere else in the album is this so true than in The River a stripped back song of raw emotion that is simply beautiful. There is no change in direction here from Elbow, something that i think they should be highly commended for, they do here what they did so well on the TSSK. An album that propelled them to such a wider audience that there must have been both persuasion and temptation for them to write anthemic stadium songs - the closest that BARB! has is Neat little rows.
This album looks set to follow in the footsteps of TSSK with real pride and that in itself is a real achievement for Elbow to be proud of - and one that we will be enjoying for quite some time to come.
22 Comments| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 November 2011
I bought this album (on MP3) and along with Tamer Animals and Sigh No More it has become one of the top 3 albums that I bought this year. The music is well written, brilliantly performed and will bring a smile to your face. The vocals sound a little like Peter Gabriel (not a bad thing) and I notice that the band does cite Genesis from the Peter Gabriel years as one of their inspirations so no real surprise. My favourite is 'Open Arms' but the other tracks are all exceptional too. Buy it you won't be sorry.
on 10 July 2011
I first picked up on Elbow this week after checking out 'Open Arms' on You Tube and was knocked sideways by it.
I then checked out other postings from this album and as a result have bought the entire Elbow back catalogue.
Poignant,uplifting and stunningly beautiful are the only words I can find to describe this album.I get a real sense of the spiritual listening to this - it is a feeling I only previously sensed listening to The Blue Nile and some of David Sylvian's solo stuff but this is right up there with them.
'The Birds' has been played incessantly in this household for the last 4 days - IMHO it is one of the greatest pieces of modern music ever made, evoking memories of Tweaker's 'Linoleum'(featuring David Sylvian)and Peter Gabriel's 'Downside Up' (with Paul Buchanan of The Blue Nile and Liz Fraser of The Cocteau Twins as guest vocalists)- both worth a look on You Tube if you enjoy epic electronica/orchestral arrangements.Following the brooding opening of this song and slightly sinister change in the middle there is then the most wonderful spine-tingling outbreak at 5 minutes which is utterly glorious and triumphant.An epic piece of music.
'Lippy Kids''The River'and 'The Night Will Always Win' are touching and IMO are reminiscent of Paul Buchanan of The Blue Nile.
'Open Arms' brought me into Elbow's World and strikes me as a deliberately-penned rousing anthem which completely eclipses Coldplay's sickly 'Fix You' when it comes to sentiment (I do like a lot of Coldplay's stuff though!).
'Neat Little Rows' sees the band up the tempo with a chiming chorus and the rest of the songs maintain the standard which falls nothing short of special.
Although I'm a latecomer, within a week I have come to appreciate much of what Elbow are about and it is an extremely rewarding experience.
A truly great Album.
EDIT - my dad died a week ago and this album along with The Seldom Seen Kid are my crutches.Thank you guys- much appreciated, I'm glad I found you when I did.
on 21 March 2011
I have long been a fan of Elbow, and this album doesn't disappoint. Being originally a northern girl (tho not a Rochdale one), this album really speaks volumes to me personally as a nostalgic reminder of my own northern childhood, having moved away as soon as I got the chance, and more recently struggling to accept having to move back, I can honestly say that this album has helped me warm to this part of my own journey, maybe in a way that I never thought possible. And that is just how powerful Elbow's music is. Lyrically not many could get away with it but Guy makes it simple, honest and beautiful just like his voice, which fills up your heart to bursting, invoking longlost childhood memories of brass bands and the jangly repeating cyclical sound of ice-cream vans, for me anyway, bringing a heartfelt warmth and a big smile. I literally felt my heart well up With Love. I had the great pleasure of hearing Elbow perform in Sheffield this weekend and the boys are as warm and welcoming on stage as is the music, as well as being totally accomplished musicians - 20 years together this year. I defy anyone not to recall warm moments of childhood, even if your childhood wasn't particularly warm, if you let yourself go there. Guy Garvey seems to find those special, fleeting, treasured moments that are perhaps buried deep inside you somewhere, but that you rarely remember anymore, and one can only be uplifted by the experience. It's like a welcome hug when you need one from someone you care about and who you know cares about you; a knowing look that requires no words; a reminder of warmth and fondness between friends, families and lovers, even when you don't always see eye to eye. Build a rocket and take the ride.