on 7 June 2017
Brilliant
on 28 January 2010
This is a great help in identifying the bits and pieces of birds lying around and the feather identification is very helpful. Shame there wasn't more on feathers as these are most often found. I have found several feathers that I can't place (I think they belong to the ubiquitous pheasant not some rare species). Perhaps a book devoted to all the feathers of all British species should be done. I would pay handsomly for this.
Compared to what is currently available this is a must have.
22 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 February 2001
This guide is fantastic! It covers all the major topics of interest which will enable you to uncover any mystery, including large sections on individual feathers, skulls and of course the tracks themselves. There also excellent sections on pellets, behavioural and feeding signs, droppings, and nests and roosts. It is a really well-thought out compilation of scientific, yet completely accessible, information covering all aspects of bird-life. It is obviously written by people with a deep interest in the subject and a lot of experience. Accessible format and good clear illustrations. Excellent.
on 8 September 2005
I ordered this book from amazon simply out of curiousity and had no idea what to expect. As it turned out (and I have had it for a day only) it is astonishing. The book is divided into 9 chapters which help us track birds through their feet tracks, nests, pellets, droppings, feathers and skulls as well as leftovers. The authors painstakingly go through every detail, including the least probable tracks, such as those that could on the very rare occasion be left by a swift walking on land. The drawings and pictures are first rate. The quality of paper is superb. One of the reviews on the back of this book states that it "adds a new dimension ot the birdwatcher's craft". I second that.
on 24 July 2016
I haven't seen this kind of book before. I admit it was intriguing, in a Sherlock Holmes kind of way. This is a field guide (if you can call it that) to bird tracks and various signs of bird presence. How does an apple or pear look like after being pecked by a Blackbird? How do cones stripped by a crossbill look like? How do you tell the difference between pellets á la Mammalia and ditto á la Dinosauria, pardon, Aves? There is a large chapter on feathers, which include those of peacocks, guinea fowls and other introduced birds. Figures, I'm often attacked by peacocks in city parks after dark, so it could be good to know when *they* are around! The final chapter deals with skulls, and is the spookiest in the entire books. If militant vegans ever outlaw bird killing, I suppose Scotland Yard would have to order this volume to ascertain the identity of the victim… “This parrot (or peacock) is quite dead”.
on 18 November 2013
A must have book for any remotely serious birder. The amount of information in there is mind boggling. Things you never even thought anyone would have studied are covered in minute detail. I can't praise it enough.
on 6 March 2015
Comprehensive and informative book and I have used it several times already when I have found skulls and feathers on my rambles. I keep it with me along with binoculars and bird ID book now.
on 6 January 2015
Just what I've been looking for! Though I'm not much of a tracker, the section on feathers and skulls was perfect - lovely and details with great illustrations and information
on 3 February 2013
Great book to help in learning the art of tracks and signs with loads of other information that sits along side sit. Just need to get out and study them to see how I improve
on 28 February 2015
An excellent guide for those interested in furthering their knowledge of birds.