on 11 January 2018
This was written years ago, about a mum of very young children who also has a high flying job. As the main bread winner she allows herself to prioritise work a little more than is manageable - then spends the rest of her guilt ridden time trying to be the best mother and wife possible. With such lofty goals and tremendous obstacles in all aspects of life, she feels like she falls short of the mark at everything.
She never has any time for herself. The kids come first, then the job, then the husband, then her. Ring a bell?!

This is an amusing book, but I found it scarily realistic. I'm no high flyer but I'm a working mum and it all just rang too true.
On a serious note it made me realise that actually we havent made that much progress in the past 2 decades - i still feel like a skiver if I need to leave work early for child care!

This is chick lit obviously, but it's well written and I'd heartily recommend it to all you working mum's out there.
on 1 April 2018
I read the reviews first and was looking for a book which made me laugh - this didn't. It's a well worn plot about a high flying career woman who tries to balance bringing up kids with a career. I did have a few chuckles and ploughed through. I was waiting for the 'can't wait to see what will happen next' part, but it never came. I have to say I got to 90% through and gave up on it - so many other books I want to read. I guess if you like this type of book then it is well written but it just wasn't for me.
on 2 December 2017
Bought this for my wife. Then read it myself. Hats off - how do mums let alone working mums do it? Laughed lots despite things being too close to the truth to be funny. Now for ‘How hard can it be’ - think I already know the answer to this one.
on 21 February 2018
I really enjoyed this book. As a grandmother, it left me exasperated with Kate many times but also made me laugh a lot. When will women realise you can’t “have it all”, there just isn’t time! Childhood is so short and such a shame to miss it all. Very well written and I look forward to her new book.
on 6 October 2017
Pretty much the story of my own life in the 80's and 90's,( except, not successful or rich) made me smile, am looking forward to reading the latest.
on 8 September 2017
Every Mum should read this. As women we need to appreciate both sides of work either at home or in the workplace. This is a must read I loved it
on 17 September 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book,but also found it frustrating in parts. I personally don't think that anyone can be a successful career woman with a young family. This lady took a huge risk with her family and for what, she was not paid what she seemed to be worth,she let her male colleagues use her, she was not happy and it nearly cost her her marriage. I just hope her children are happy well adjusted children now that she has given up work.
on 28 March 2018
I couldn’t finish this book- a terribly stressful account of being a working mum left me feeling sad and stressed out. Why anyone would want to read this is beyond me .... unless it was to reassure themselves that as struggling working mums and they are in good company!
on 23 October 2017
Read this after reading how hard can it get. Feels so real as a working mum of a 6 year old , don’t know how I did it with my older son . Wish I had read this then - amazing narrative Allison.
on 7 May 2013
Enjoyed this book, as a mother myself sometimes felt frustrated that the main character was allowing her work to impact so much in her home life - maybe there are really people like this out there. Glad that I read the book before the film - book much better and more believable.