Format: Audio Download|Change

on 11 March 2011
Note: I am reviewing this particular edition of William Wordsworth's poetry (i.e. the Wordsworth Poetry Library paperback edition of 'The Collected Poems of William Wordsworth'), not the poetry itself. I give this edition two stars.

I love the Romantic era of English poetry and bought this book to explore Wordsworth's work for the first time. I enjoyed reading some of it, however the one aspect of this book that I could not tolerate was the formatting. Every page has been divided into two columns (like the Bible often is), thus squashing the poetry into a hideous mess. I know this will not necessarily make it harder to read for all people but it does limit the aesthetic appeal somewhat. I find it constantly annoys me. For instance I read a lot of sonnets, as I love the look and the flow of them. But the shape of the sonnet has been lost due to this format and as I read I find that Wordsworth's sonnets do not flow the way they should. I can't get used to it. I find it to be lazy and cheap on the part of the editors as they are probably trying to cram as much into one page as possible in order to save on paper costs. I cannot think of any other reason they would do this.

In a way it's my fault, I should have used the 'Look Inside' option before purchasing. So as a word of advice, have a 'look inside' before you buy, and make sure you are ok with the presentation of the poetry itself first. Read it in your mind first then, as a practice, out loud too, to see if it works for you.
on 17 April 2013
I bought this book for my undergraduate dissertation, needing an edition of Wordsworth with a wide range of his poetry including lesser known pieces. This book did not disappoint, featuring poems I would not have found in other, more cherry-picked collections, but without the tiresome necessity of having to lug around larger editions.

It is true, as previous reviewers have said, that the format is a little awkward. It is not the best choice for those with poor eyesight as the type is small and the pages split down the middle, but what do you expect for the price you pay? Besides, the book is chunky as it is; if the publishers were any more generous with paper you'd need a car-jack to get to the back pages!

Great choice for students on a budget (there's still room in the margins for making short notes!), and those who want an expansive range of Wordsworth's poetry, just make sure you're aware that in terms of format you get what you pay for!

PS. It may be worth mentioning that most of the poems in this edition seem to be Wordsworth's later redrafts, which often differ considerably from early versions (especially 'The Two Part Prelude' and poems written for 'Lyrical Ballads'), so if you are more interested in earlier drafts I would suggest looking elsewhere.
on 1 December 2015
Lovely book, lovely poetry. I can understand the print size is off-putting for some but for me it is fine, the only complaint I really have is the book is a bit delicate, but for the price it is very good.
on 16 March 2016
So difficult to follow, but the man is genius and brilliant. I personally think he's overdrawn at places, and Wordsworth absolutely loved the spotlight. His life was s***e, as all the women in his life that were close to him passed. Which added to his poetry. This tome will be read slowly so as to enjoy the nuances therein.
The print in this may be a bit too small for some readers, and this is also set out in columns form, which may be off putting for some. What we have here is the poetry of Wordsworth, and I will be the first to admit that along with his masterpieces there is also some of less greater distinction. No one can produce some of our greatest poetry without making something less worthy, if he could have done that he wouldn't have been human.

I was fortunate to visit Dove Cottage in Grasmere just over a week ago and it was well worth going, I was also amazed that it being out of season, how many people were visiting from other corners of the globe, showing just how popular his poetry still is. Originally frowned upon by the Establishment, after all he wasn't one of them, his poetry also showed elements that the ruling class didn't want to know about. From this rocky start though, by the time of his death he was not only the most famous poet in the world, but also arguably the most famous writer. Becoming the nation's Poet Laureate he famously said he wouldn't write anything unless the mood took him, which it didn't, but he still got his sherry.

Dove Cottage where he lived for nine years has become known as his 'Golden Decade' as this was when he wrote most of his greatest poetry. Why Worsworth still appeals is because his poetry isn't all high and flighty and difficult to understand. Auden and Elliot, although great poets for instance fall into the trap of not always being that very accessible, whereas Wordsworth is always easy to read. Wordsworth is also very psychological offering us great insight into ourselves, as well as being a modern thinker, thus being easy for us to understand. All in all you can't really go wrong with this edition.
on 26 May 2013
Considering that Wordworth called his work Emotion recollected in Tranquility, I think he may have been less than impressed with the squeezing in of his emotional output in a small space. I should have realised you could not get the complete works in a reasonably-sized paperback without the use of columns rather than eye-pleasing page layouts, so I blame myself. Useful if you want to verify a quote, but next time I will buy more books rather than a compendium. I should have known better. No one used the Complete Works of Shakespeare to enjoy the plays after all. Each play needs a volume one.
on 10 March 2013
Upon receiving this monster of a book, we were amazed at the variety of poetry contained herein. I've touched upon it and like what I've seen thusfar and my youngster is keen to read it as well. It looks a masterpiece so hopefully Words do not let us down as we are fans of his worm yes. Lit genius Words is worth reading as inspiring. See his birth place where the man was inspired to write such beautiful artistic works. Read Worlds we is! Read it get hep on it! Recommend this nook strongly recommend it in Mizville ere! Expand thee mind without fail! Thank You STAR seller!! ******
on 12 November 2014
My joke about this book when I was at University was "you sure get your word's worth with Wordsworth." A mighty tome this book is the definitive edition and if you have got the time to read it you are a very clever person indeed.
on 2 March 2014
It is indeed a brave soul who contemplates reading the entire output of William Wordsworth (1770-1850). I am almost ashamed (though not quite) to declare that I found his poems dull and tedious and so I failed to make any real progress into this vast volume of his vacuous verse! But I am not defeated – I shall give it the space of thirty years before I attempt such an arduous and un-rewarding task again; when perhaps my brain has become prone to some incurable disease and I am quite numb to the horrific notion of time being wasted so drastically!
on 19 January 2013
Never been a keen reader of poetry but now I am hooked and I fine poetry so relaxing to read.