on 15 September 2016
On the plus-side I got the first three volumes free via Kindle/Amazon, presumably in the hope that I'd invest in the remainder of the series? On the other hand, I'm angry with myself that I wasted several hours of my leisure time reading it - at least I will be spared books 4 to 10 or whatever. As an avid reader across a wide range of genres, I admire anyone actually getting down to writing a novel, or story for publication. I try to give everything I read the benefit of doubt, see how it goes, and in these days of electronic publication I've learned to forgive the odd typo, poor punctuation etc. In this case, I have to say that the author is a competent writer, and clearly derived a great deal of pleasure setting down what is intended as an epic piece. But......oh dear! The dystopian, post cataclysm near-future is a path well-trod, and there are many well-crafted, exciting, intriguing books exploring it. This, however, is sadly not one of them. Suddenly, shortly after the nuclear apocalypse, it seems a large proportion of the remaining population are psychic, telepathic, have been so all their lives and everyone else seems to know and accept it. Not content with that, a key character is a witch, again not surprising anyone, capable of bringing down fire, lightning, pain and death... When all else fails, just solve the problem with magic, great plot device!

It gets worse. The 'good' survivors appear to be almost exclusively white, gun-loving devotees of a militaristic lifestyle. The pervading culture is one of mysogenism (surprising for a female author), racism and homophobia. The 'forces of evil' are mainly Mexicans, invading their northern neighbours intent on murdering, enslaving and raping their way across the US landscape. Add to this the fact that pages and pages are devoted to mind-numbing ever-circling conversations between completely unrealistic lead characters, part spoken, part 'telepathic'.....Enough! I could point to sources of similar ideas - The Stand by Stephen King comes to mind, overblown indulgence in my view but infinitely better written than this.

I see a lot of readers have awarded five stars, which all goes to show, I suppose, that we all have different expectations - they can't all be family and friends of the author! As I said at the start, the book was free, and worth every penny...
on 1 July 2012
Fantastic book, just could not put it down. Loved having the 3 in 1 setup, it meant I could indulge myself in an excellent post apocalyptic novel. The first book starts with nuclear war and it's immediate grisly aftermath. We meet some survivors and this is their story set out . Cannot recommend this series enough. One of the finest PA series to be ranked alongside the Dark Tower series & the Stand by Stephen King and the Genesis of Shannara series by Terry Brooks.
on 7 March 2017
After the apocalypse, there are talents left behind - magic and more...

The first three 'episodes' were good in parts; if a little predictable. The world building wasn't bad, while the characters were reasonably realistic.

Some of the action was great, but some of the interactions between characters were not.

Worth a look for fans of this genre.
on 16 June 2017
I gave this my best shot. I like SciFi, and I'm not averse to post-apocalyptic stories. But this is unremittingly grim. The theme is grim. The story is unremmitingly bleak, tedious and grim. The characters lack depth or colour, except the colour grim. The writing is clunky - and grim. Reading it was, yes you can guess, grim - and for me seemed less and less engaging and more and more pointless, as I was getting nothing from it whatsoever.

There are plenty of great books out there. I'd read one of those, instead of this. Even at 90p it's a waste.
on 1 June 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed reading all three books and am currently on book four. The story is compelling and the characters while different blend together well and definitely form a strong team due to their loyalty today the cause and individual skill set
My only negative is I get involved emotionally with the characters and even though I realise it's only a story I would prefer Angela to not get interested with so many men
She gets urges which run contrary to those of a woman who claims that she loves a man called Marc who saves her life and is the father of her child. I would have given 5 stars but for this and really would give 4.5 if possible.
on 9 November 2013
I have read all the books available in this series so far and anxiously await the next. We know where they're going but it's the getting there, and what happens when they do, that counts. All the characters are very well rounded and believable. You understand how they think, and yet they can still surprise you. Very well written and gripping. I await the next episode anxiously.
on 13 August 2017
Found this gripping reading and as soon as I finished I downloaded the box set 4-6 only to discover a huge chunk missing. Box set 1-3 claims to have books 1-3 combined into one book plus books 2 and 3 but these are not in the download so the 4-6 box set does not carry on where 1-3 left off. Cross that I now have to buy books 2 and 3 before I can read 4-6
on 11 June 2017
Great as described
on 3 April 2017
a good read
on 22 May 2017
The narrative is just too disconnected for me, and after finishing the first book I find that I'm not really engaging with any of the characters. I won't be going any further with this set.