on 23 February 2011
This book turned out to be great value. 30 patterns for under £[..] including p&p. Great designs, ideal for stitchers who want to do something different. My only complaint is the choice of symbols used in the designs, they should have been more basic considering the complexity of the designs and the size of the pages, this can be helped by photocopying the design at an increased size. As with the reviewer who downloaded this onto their Kindle, I hope they get a refund as this is not suitable for the Kindle, so don't download it whatever you do.
on 14 May 2013
The book itself is full of interesting cross stitch designs and is certainly inspirational, however, I wish I'd read the reviews about it not being suitable for kindle before I purchased it, as it's definitely not suitable! It's barely even possible to count how many stitches are needed, let alone follow the key for the design.
Get it in paper form!
on 25 February 2016
I love the book but some of the pages were quite bent, luckily it was for me and not a present. The content is great and I've already started my first one. It tells you which colours of dmc threads it recommends you use which is really helpful :)
on 9 January 2013
I bought a second hand copy of this book on ebay and was not disappointed. It has lots of patterns based on tattoos and I particularly love the roses with thorns and skulls. There are a few rather voodoo like patterns with skulls and black magic vibe. I have yet to stitch any of them as these designs would not be suitable to give to everyone. However when my son is a bit older I can see myself making some into cushions or bags for him. I like the fact that there are large and small designs so you do not always have to take on a huge project. These are definitely quirky and a refreshing change from teddies and flowers.
on 15 February 2011
I looked forward to receiving the book as the pictures looked good.

The book has clear instructions about starting and the type of aida/floss etc that is needed. 3/4 stitches are used in some of the designs.

A couple of patterns did not appeal to me whatsoever (eg. a skull with spider type feet!) but overall I think the book offers an escape from the usual cross stitch designs and I intend to start the one on the front cover for my 18 yr old daughter who likes LA and Miami Ink and thinks these cross stitch designs are great.
on 26 February 2013
Perfect if you have been looking for different cross stitch designs.
No delicate flowers in this book.
As the book says this isn't you grannies cross stitch.
on 29 March 2013
I haven't been cross-stitching long and wanted some not too hard designs that weren't all cute baby animals, so got this book. I am actually really impressed with it, it has a variety of really interesting striking designs in a variety of difficulties. The patterns are fairly easy to follow (though some of them have symbols for colors that are hard to make out) and the results are very cool. My only criticism is the amount of different colors you need for each pattern, I have a fairly large collection of different color threads, but even I don't have 15 different shades of green, or 3 specific shades of grey, so you need to expect to have to also buy some more threads to specifically do each pattern. But all in all, it's really worth it for someone into cross-stitch who wants to do something a little more interesting.
on 16 May 2012
The patterns in this book are fantastic and a break from the norm. The selection of charts is good and varied, although most are about the same size (5"x7", 4"x9"). Would have like to have had different designs shown stitched into bookmarks/cushions etc. Some of the symbols are a bit hard to see due to the backstitching, but, should be easy enough to work out. Although I love this book and the selection it offers, it would have been good to see some of the items actually stitched instead of just computer generated finished items. But overall this is well worth the money.
on 14 July 2011
Great book with lots of alternative patterns for all levels of cross stitchers. The patterns are bright and colourful easy to read and simple enough for a beginner stitcher without being too boring for an advanced stitcher.
The instructions are clear and the pictures of the finished items were detailed.
I was very pleased with my purchase as puppies and the usual patterns you find in magazines are getting quite boring after 15 years of stitching and it makes a change to have some gothic/rock/retro punk style ideas to get started on.
Having also bought "twisted stitches" by Phil Davison i am now looking for more pattern books of this style and finding it quite hard to discover any more of them. Lets hope this breath of life into cross stitching continues and we begin to see some more of these funky patterns on the shelves!
on 30 September 2012
Nice book with easy to follow patterns. Ed Hardy fans will love the designs. The projects look quite easy so it's a good book for a beginner. May be a good gift for the younger cross stitcher as the designs are more current than the usual kittens etc!